Log Entry 1 - CMDR Aria Darabi - The loneliness of a space pilot

"Archie, please initiate speech-to-text."

[inaudible background noise]

"Thank you."

Log Entry 1
Well, I've been flying long enough to know my life may meet a swift end at some point. It's been 8 years since I graduated from the pilot's federation and left the clutches of Kamadhenu. 8 years, yet I have little to show for it: no accomplishments, no special titles; nothing. I've fought in many wars, made millions of credits, and own a fleet of near 20 ships. Yet, I feel as though something is missing. How many lives have I extinguished and removed from their families? The silence of space coupled with the hum of my ship reminds me I'm alone out here. I have no family. If I were to die on some remote planet somewhere, not a single person would remember me.

Yesterday, I helped the Emperor with some crime sweeps. Interestingly enough, one of the criminals tried to call me. I could see him waving at me through his cockpit. I can be a bit taciturn so I thought it'd be good practise to talk to this poor soul before sending them off to the void. He said something I'll never forget, though, "The crime sweep is a cover-up."

I could feel my interest peaking, and in fear of allowing it to stop me from serving the Emperor, I fired a railgun at his ship to finish him off. The railgun round punctured a perfect hole through the captain's cabin and blasted out from the back of his ship like a 34th century cannon ball. I could see the vacuum of space suck the air out of his cabin and, just as quickly, collapse his lungs. He looked at me one last time, his face blue, as though he wanted to continue talking. The impact was beautiful; a bouquet of fire, schrapnel and the subtleties of his personal effects floating out from the impact site. Yet, seeing this didn't spike my dopamine receptors as usual. I felt a lump in my stomach. Why didn't I let him finish? Was he innocent? I feel the need to talk to someone about what just happened.

I started this audio log to cover my back in case my investigation goes south. With luck, he was lying. If he was right, however, I've been the 'bad guy' all this time.

Top Bottom