Logitech X56 stick vs. Virpil Constellation Alpha on WarBRD base?

I have ways of fixing the pedals in place, should it be required on my type of floor (a soft plastic substance, not sure what it's called in English). My idea is rather makeshift and involves screwing some wooden boards together, but it would work I'm sure. But first, I'll try them as-is.

No wait, FIRST comes another three months of playing the waiting game. ;)

It's definitely not Linoleum (I know that stuff from the past). So probably PVC. Powerstrips, hmm.. Yeah, I have a roll or two at home, but you'd need to reapply them all the time...

Late to this, but ... I have just switched from my X56 setup. I (inadvertently) got both a Constellation Alpha/WBRD and a Gladiator NXT. On opening, I found the GNXT to be a better fit for my hand - the Alpha is about the same size as an X56 (which was always a 'bit big'), the GNXT is smaller and the control 'spread' is better for my fingers/thumb. I haven't even assembled the Alpha, so I can't compare actual usage, but I've been using the GNXT for 2 months now, and it's a delight! I've swapped the X56 throttle for a Razer Tartarus V2, but I miss the feel of an actual throttle (the little slider on the GNXT base works, but feels wrong, and I have to use both hands on the stick).
I've used the 'usual' drill-press-and-angle-brackets to make a desk-hanger, and that makes a real (comfort/convenience) difference - my R hand is about level with the desk whilst playing.
The GNXT software seems to be about as complex as the Virpil stuff - but it 'just works' in my case.
Enjoy!
o7

I have a question in the hope that there are people here who have both the Logitech X56 HOTAS and a Virpil Constellation Alpha stick, preferably on a WarBRD base for tabletop use.

I've been playing ED with the X56 for nearly 2 years now, and I quite like it. Only remaining problem I have with the stick (after fixing the Z-axis squeak and upgrading the fire button with a stiffer spring) is its size. To be honest, my hands are a bit too small for it, and I find i hard to reach all the hats, even with the hand rest as high up as it can go. And that's almost too high given my seating position and table height, so that part can be a tiny bit uncomfortable.

Now I'm looking at the Virpil Constellation Alpha on a WarBRD base, for desktop use. Because build quality. But it appears the palm rest is even higher up than it is with the X56, even though I'm not sure if that's actually true. I cannot find any comparisons (with photos) between the two on the web.

If possible, it would be great if somebody had both in possession and could shoot some side-by-side comparison pictures for me.

Bonus goal: If you also happen to have the Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 throttle, and are by any chance using its analog ministick, it would be interesting to hear about how well that works in comparison with the X56 throttle, which has a thumb stick instead of the index finger one of the Virpil throttle. I fear that using your index finger for this might not work as well as it does when using your thumb, especially for lateral movement...

Thank you very much!
I can't send you a photo as I gave away my still functioning X56 and now use a Virpil Constellation on a Warbird base. The X56 yaw spring snapped so I made a couple of new ones and even managed to get a new one from Logitech free of charge :) Sadly, it started to drift a little too often and so I went for the Virpil. The X56 has a new home where it is very happy.

The X56 throttle still works fine so I use it with the Virpil stick without problem.

I have large hands and found the X56 a good fit. My hands also suit the Virpil and I set the adjustable hand rest to suit what I'm doing trading/low, combat/higher to reach the buttons more easily. The Virpil is much taller than the X56 which can give you a bit of arm ache so I built a base for it clips to the side of my table and that the stick just botls to with some knurled thumb bolts. The Virpil is silky smooth and oozes quality.

Attachments

• IMG_9497.jpg
    IMG_9497.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9500.jpg
    IMG_9500.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
I can't send you a photo as I gave away my still functioning X56 and now use a Virpil Constellation on a Warbird base. The X56 yaw spring snapped so I made a couple of new ones and even managed to get a new one from Logitech free of charge :) Sadly, it started to drift a little too often and so I went for the Virpil. The X56 has a new home where it is very happy.

The X56 throttle still works fine so I use it with the Virpil stick without problem.

I have large hands and found the X56 a good fit. My hands also suit the Virpil and I set the adjustable hand rest to suit what I'm doing trading/low, combat/higher to reach the buttons more easily. The Virpil is much taller than the X56 which can give you a bit of arm ache so I built a base for it clips to the side of my table and that the stick just botls to with some knurled thumb bolts. The Virpil is silky smooth and oozes quality.
Only you can tell for sure but that stick doesn't look very securely mounted to me. It would be better to fix an extension to your table for the stick to sit on ymmv.

Only you can tell for sure but that stick doesn't look very securely mounted to me. It would be better to fix an extension to your table for the stick to sit on ymmv.
Solid as a rock. (Taken during the fit-up, not screwed into the base yet.)

Clamped to the underside of the table so I can remove it in ten seconds, fit it in 30 seconds and not upset the 'civil powers.'

ResizerImage1814X1360.jpg

;)
ResizerImage1935X1451.jpg

Last edited:

Clamped to the underside of the table so I can remove it in ten seconds, fit it in 30 seconds and not upset the 'civil powers.'

View attachment 274234
;)View attachment 274233
Yes that's certainly solid enough. I just couldn't see that in the original pic. A good idea too, what do you call that quick release clamp if perchance I was to want one myself?.

Yes that's certainly solid enough. I just couldn't see that in the original pic. A good idea too, what do you call that quick release clamp if perchance I was to want one myself?.
Toggle latches. Here they are.

View attachment 274234
;)View attachment 274233
😁 Another fan of over-engineering, I see.

One hint, though: if you don't like the large real estate that this aluminium "X" under the stick base takes up, you can easily remove it if you want to put the stick on another mount. I think Virpil may have a smaller base plate, but it's not that difficult to print/cut/whittle one yourself to keep the dust out of the gimbals.
The four corner screws only fix the base plate to the case, they have no other function.

😁 Another fan of over-engineering, I see.

One hint, though: if you don't like the large real estate that this aluminium "X" under the stick base takes up, you can easily remove it if you want to put the stick on another mount. I think Virpil may have a smaller base plate, but it's not that difficult to print/cut/whittle one yourself to keep the dust out of the gimbals.
The four corner screws only fix the base plate to the case, they have no other function.
I considered it but thought it looked 'a bit skinny' so I designed the base to mimic it's shape. It's only a few bits of 3x2 and an hour with a router.

ResizerImage1814X1360a.jpg

Top Bottom