Looks like I'm buying Odyssey....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
@Old Duck Today's update does not really rise my hopes...

Perhaps better take it to the X4 add-ons?
I read your post about performance dropping - which I thought odd as my 2080 Super had a noticable boost in both stations & outposts (so did my gear! 2xG3 suits, 5 xG2/3 weapons purchsed! 🥳), when I get back from walking the dogs I'll take a planetary mission and see if it has also improved.

I'll likely livestream my outing - with FPS counter running (I can stream in 1080 / 60 but my screen is in 4K).

I read your post about performance dropping - which I thought odd as my 2080 Super had a noticable boost in both stations & outposts (so did my gear! 2xG3 suits, 5 xG2/3 weapons purchsed! 🥳), when I get back from walking the dogs I'll take a planetary mission and see if it has also improved.

I'll likely livestream my outing - with FPS counter running (I can stream in 1080 / 60 but my screen is in 4K).
It has improved on stations and on concourses, but it got worse as soon as I look out of a settlements concourse window for instance.

Here without any terrain/glass:
Screenshot (144).jpg

51 - not good, but okay, a slight increase in overall framerate.

Whle looking at the other direction:
Screenshot (145).jpg

28 frames and falling. I stood there for 20 minutes and in the end I had astonishing 12 fps which did not recover until I restarted the game.
If I leave directly, the fps recover to about 55-60 outside of the concourse.

And tbh that's by far not the only gripe I have with this update :)

Would love to see your comparison, thx for the effort 👍

This is the first post I'm seeing through my blurry "just woke up" eyes. And here I thought today would be a day of celebration rather than sorrow...

Looks like I've got some reading to do!
Get yourself a coffee and wait for another hour or so.

The forum is still game at the moment :)

It has improved on stations and on concourses, but it got worse as soon as I look out of a settlements concourse window for instance.

View attachment 235584

View attachment 235585
28 frames and falling. I stood there for 20 minutes and in the end I had astonishing 12 fps which did not recover until I restarted the game.

I hear rumor that glass is one of the major causes of frame rate drops. That's cool, I don't need glass - a clean window with anti-reflective coating is "invisible" anyway.

TODO LIST - Find glass shader and disable it (just like I did with the dirty cockpit glass in Horizons).

If you go and order what you enjoy them cooking from the menu, even if it's just the dessert, you build a relationship with the restaurant and you can encourage them to do better.

Implying that the relationship players have with FDev is in any way two-way, beyond occasional recognition during community streams and the odd reaction to major backlash.

I'm starting to catch up on the reviews (including screenshots and YouTube videos), and it looks pretty bad. My original concern was for the current state of Odyssey, but now my concern is regarding the current state of Frontier. From what I'm seeing post-patch, I'm beginning to have strong doubts that Frontier still possesses the developer talent needed to fix Odyssey. The things I'm seeing really make me question if they know what they are doing.

Dear donors, I may owe you a refund, because after this last update, I have no desire to even install Odyssey on my computer, let alone give Frontier money for it... "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."

This is NOT what I was expecting to wake up to this morning.

...I'm beginning to have strong doubts that Frontier still possesses the developer talent needed to fix Odyssey...
And the vision for what Elite: Dangerous is supposed to be going forward. It has become a bolt-on Frankenstein's monster if you ask me, and it's beginning to buckle under it's own weight. Not worth your support. Stick to Horizons, while you can...

Last edited:

View attachment 235584

View attachment 235585

Ouch!
Moved to a station (I'd been on outposts) and FPS drops to 40+ (so back to where they were) and looking through glass, even there, 10-12 FPS drop!
Took a settlement mission for 4 MIs (noice!) arrive and FPS tanks between 24-40. Looks like, similar to CZs, I'll still have to either turn down settings a bit, or drop to 1440p - I'd prefer leaving the settings "as-is" so will see what 1440p doeson the next session.

So, improvements in places, no change in others.

Not worth your support. Stick to Horizons, while you can...
That is where I'm starting to settle...

I might still grab it for $10 someday during a Steam sale, IF it greatly improves in quality between now and then. We'll see. When I started this thread, I was thinking about cost purely in terms of financial, but now I'm considering the cost of time, and it really sounds like Odyssey is a waste of time in its current state. (Says the guy who's been wasting an hour or two every day on this forum since Odyssey dropped)

That is where I'm starting to settle...

I might still grab it for $10 someday during a Steam sale, IF it greatly improves in quality between now and then. We'll see. When I started this thread, I was thinking about cost purely in terms of financial, but now I'm considering the cost of time, and it really sounds like Odyssey is a waste of time in its current state. (Says the guy who's been wasting an hour or two every day on this forum since Odyssey dropped)
At least the forum is playable...

Deleted member 275835

D
We'll see after this "roadmap" drops. My interest in this forum is entangled with my interest in the future of Elite, and the latter is fading fast.

But I am NOT quitting the forum, EVER AGAIN! I'm here forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and... (take that, notebook man!)
I'm kind of hoping the road map actually acknowledges what an unmitigated disaster this release has been.

This is the first 'MMO' style game I've bought in a while (and the first pre-order and non discount steam purchase in about 8 years), and whether I carry on playing it long term, or just get my money's worth from the fifty quid I dropped on it and move on is really going to hinge on what kind of attitude F-Dev adopts to their mistakes and what (if any) commitments they make after the fact. So far I'm leaning heavily towards the former option - which is disappointing.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom