Low-tech planet-tech

Looking at any planet pics it is immediately noticeable how much world detail is missing from these oversized meteors. Even at the barren rock level.

Uninspired delivery is aesthetically anemic!

Will we ever see caves, mesas, valleys (real), mountain lines, ridge lines, cliffs, peaks, plains, sands, crevasses,
WATER!(h2o), shores, Volcanoes, overhangs, stalagmites, grass, trees, sprawling flora, channels, clouds, rain, snow, hail...etc? I've seen these effects and features replicated on the first xbox but here is just absent!?

I hope fdev isn't waiting for so called "the right implementation" when everything released so far has been wrong or botched! I say put it in and work to make it better over iterations. At that at least we'd have the basics?

These dirt planets with no liquid is highly overdue and bland!

Building elite with the future in mind...yeah right? Presentation has disqualified that approach!

And I thought code had to be woven together as opposed to stacking it on top?
As a lazy development house whose gonna put in the work to update old code and combine it with new tech finds! 100 community managers won't have time Although the roadmap to bring the game up to the liking of players is slathered thick through the forums. Aggregate information much? fdevs displaying no clue on which way to move the direction of the game

The original vision got me hook line and sinker....however the execution after 7 years is contract abandoned!

What is the vision going forward!? I'm dying to know how much is not being attended to.

I have 12 and 14 yo's at home.
If they play games, it's either football games or fps. And for fps games, when they "die", they want to start again ASAP.

They can play/watch any crap on any platform/device except Elite.
They practically beg me not to play ED, they can't comprehend that I have interest in that, they can't stand it how boring it looks.

So what new crowd they want?!
Only seasoned cmdrs have interest in Elite, all others will skip it.
Maybe they will try it and then uninstall it within the hour.

For example, I got SW Squadrons as part of my ps4 subscription.
Installed it, tried it for 10 min, and just deleted, don't like flight model and couldn't be bothered with making controls to work for me.

And today's young gamers have even less patience.

If they play games, it's either football games or fps. And for fps games, when they "die", they want to start again ASAP.

They practically beg me not to play ED, they can't comprehend that I have interest in that, they can't stand it how boring it looks.

Installed it, tried it for 10 min, and just deleted, don't like flight model and couldn't be bothered with making controls to work for me.

Elite really is our cricket.

Sorry if I have offended any cricket enthusiasts. 😅

Watched my 2 nephews play AC the other day, they set difficulty straight to easy, ignored all dialog choices and just griefed/attacked all npcs, always fast tracked or called up mounts and did not seem to get into the story at all ! When I asked them what the heck they were doing they just replied that this is how they play all their games and something about their time being more focussed on social media instead ? They are a lot older than 12/14 !

(Bit off topic apologies op)

Looking at any planet pics it is immediately noticeable how much world detail is missing from these oversized meteors. Even at the barren rock level.

Uninspired delivery is aesthetically anemic!

Will we ever see caves, mesas, valleys (real), mountain lines, ridge lines, cliffs, peaks, plains, sands, crevasses,
WATER!(h2o), shores, Volcanoes, overhangs, stalagmites, grass, trees, sprawling flora, channels, clouds, rain, snow, hail...etc? I've seen these effects and features replicated on the first xbox but here is just absent!?

I hope fdev isn't waiting for so called "the right implementation" when everything released so far has been wrong or botched! I say put it in and work to make it better over iterations. At that at least we'd have the basics?

These dirt planets with no liquid is highly overdue and bland!

Building elite with the future in mind...yeah right? Presentation has disqualified that approach!

And I thought code had to be woven together as opposed to stacking it on top?
As a lazy development house whose gonna put in the work to update old code and combine it with new tech finds! 100 community managers won't have time Although the roadmap to bring the game up to the liking of players is slathered thick through the forums. Aggregate information much? fdevs displaying no clue on which way to move the direction of the game

The original vision got me hook line and sinker....however the execution after 7 years is contract abandoned!

What is the vision going forward!? I'm dying to know how much is not being attended to.
Doomed?

After having thought a bit about a possible mobile ED, I could see a market in those commuting (train, tube, subway), because a lot of the game play in ED would allow to be played while waiting and in the train itself. There is a lot to play, which doesn't require a lot of input and can be completed in just minutes - there would be a market for casuals.

Maybe that is the crowd the game should appeal to but FDev is too set in their ways to take them into account?

There is a balance there though, where game is not too grindy, repetitive and time consuming to appeal to teenage gamers but not arcade enough that older gamers would want to leave.

Maybe that is the crowd the game should appeal to but FDev is too set in their ways to take them into account?

There is a balance there though, where game is not too grindy, repetitive and time consuming to appeal to teenage gamers but not arcade enough that older gamers would want to leave.
Well, these guys tend to grind through a game within 24-48 hours to get to "end game" - if that isn't given, they will just move on. And if they die and don't respawn near where the were, being able to fight on a few seconds later, it will make them hate the game pretty quickly - so now compare that to how EDO is handling this - only the 12vs12 arena style part is any near to how they want to play - but then again it is over too quickly, they tend to do nothing else but killing each other. That is the young FPS crowd - quite unlikely to like EDO.

Last edited:
Given that the planets are basically a simple heightmap things like caves are impossible. All the other things you mean are possible in theory, but effects like clouds, flowing water, sand or lava are currently beyond FD's capabilities.

Given that the planets are basically a simple heightmap things like caves are impossible. All the other things you mean are possible in theory, but effects like clouds, flowing water, sand or lava are currently beyond FD's capabilities.
nothing is impossible, not even with height maps - you punch a hole in the height map and put a cave mesh into it - done. And if you don't want to punch a hole, then create a hollow and fill it with a cave mesh.

Watched my 2 nephews play AC the other day, they set difficulty straight to easy, ignored all dialog choices and just griefed/attacked all npcs, always fast tracked or called up mounts and did not seem to get into the story at all ! When I asked them what the heck they were doing they just replied that this is how they play all their games and something about their time being more focussed on social media instead ? They are a lot older than 12/14 !

(Bit off topic apologies op)
This.
So it's not for preteens/teens, too slow also for older minors/young adults.

And ours, "old people's" wants and needs are ignored... Frontier, that is your fan base, whether you like it or not...

On topic, things are not looking better in ps4 galaxy either.
I noticed my ships don't look good on screenshoots since Odyssey release.
Whatever issues are on now with graphics, they are present also in ps4 Horizons. Game just looks "lesser" to me than before Odyssey (ships, stations, planets,...)
At least canyons in Pomeche system and mountain at Dav's Hope are still there... Although they look "cheaper" now.
Obviously, my choice of words tells you I am not tech-guy, but you guys get what I meant.

Top Bottom