Luma Genie AI items

Well, don't feel bad, I've made similar mistakes myself before, and usually it's something really simple I overlooked! Glad you got it worked out!

Good to know you have it fixed.

To maximize confusion, I shall mention that certain combinations of uneven-sized textures are indeed possible. I don't know the rules for this and I wouldn't recommend bothering, but this is from an item that I uploaded 3 years ago:
Code:
post_AO.png: PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
post_BC.png: PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
post_F1.png: PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
post_F2.png: PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
post_F3.png: PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
post_MT.png: PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
post_NM.png: PNG image data, 2048 x 2048, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
post_RN.png: PNG image data, 2048 x 2048, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
Add that time I did that in an effort to keep file size down, but as PNGs are compressed anyway you don't really save much on size by shrinking the less complex images anyway as long as there are still large complex ones (here that was mainly the NM). Pretty sure one constraint was that NM and RN have the same size. Here is another fun one:

Code:
tex_BC.png:       PNG image data, 1024 x 1024, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tex_F1.png:       PNG image data, 1024 x 1024, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tex_F2.png:       PNG image data, 1024 x 1024, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tex_F3.png:       PNG image data, 256 x 256, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tex_MT.png:       PNG image data, 256 x 256, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tex_RN.png:       PNG image data, 256 x 256, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
As you can see, even the different flexi-color layers may have different sizes.

the rules are simple,
your maximum textile rate is 2048 x 2048. So the sum of all texture maps in 1 material should not exceed the area space of 2048 x 2048. When the compiler pops back the error "your images are not the right size or scale." It doesn't mean that all textures need to be 2048 x 2048 a crossed the bored. It means they have to be devisable by 2 and that they all must be the same shape for each texture in your material.
For instance if your base color is a rectangle of 128 x 256 then the rest of your maps also must be a rectangle divisible by 2 but not exciding 2048 x 2048. So the rest of the maps could be a rectangle of 256 x 512 and 1024 x 2048 and all of them will compile.
But if you make a square of 2048 x 2048 then your other maps must also be a square of equal or lesser resolution.

Just out of curiosity, why are you worried about file size? If its because of negative feed back from other community members complaining about file size?
Then here's how you manipulate those types of people. After you upload your tmtk item to the workshop. Change the visibility on your items workshop page to unlisted. That will allow them to download it to there game without having the actual link and the item wont be viewable by anyone else. Because the next step is how you manipulate them. Now make your item as a blue print with a in game box attached to it. Upload it as a blue print and the file size will only be listed as the in game box not your tmtk item. When they download the blue print, it will down load your tmtk item from the unlisted not viewable page of your workshop. So they will never know the actual size of the object they are downloading. And you'll probly get even more hype for keeping the file size down. Which will be like 1kb for a in game box. LOL

Just out of curiosity, why are you worried about file size? If its because of negative feed back from other community members complaining about file size?
Then here's how you manipulate those types of people. After you upload your tmtk item to the workshop. Change the visibility on your items workshop page to unlisted. That will allow them to download it to there game without having the actual link and the item wont be viewable by anyone else. Because the next step is how you manipulate them. Now make your item as a blue print with a in game box attached to it. Upload it as a blue print and the file size will only be listed as the in game box not your tmtk item. When they download the blue print, it will down load your tmtk item from the unlisted not viewable page of your workshop. So they will never know the actual size of the object they are downloading. And you'll probly get even more hype for keeping the file size down. Which will be like 1kb for a in game box. LOL
I just like optimizing stuff. Especially with textures, larger file size means a) more storage required and b) more VRAM required. Many items on the workshop have like 18mb but wouldn't look noticeably worse were they compressed to 2mb.

yeah agreed, that is because no one looks into textile rates or really understands textile rates. Generally they think they need the highest texture to generate the best visual looking item. When that isn't the case in most situations.
I showed off textile rates years ago in this video. but at the time of creation we where allowed 16x16 textures. After update 5 it was changed to a minimum of 64x64.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8uArzryro4

but you can still use it to see how big your file sizes will be using the different scales ;)

The textile rate for planet coaster = 1m is equal to 256.
Or your rendering POV in game Generates good shaders at a resolution of 256 at the range of 1m from the object.

basic math,
-1m = 64 x64 - grate for solid textures - no details or Tiling materials
0m = 128 x 128
1m = 256 x 256 - grate start for details -
2m = 512 x 512
4m = 1024 x 1024 or 1k - grate for object scenes with more then 1 material or multiple objects
8m = 2048 x 2048 or 2k - grate for object skins when you need to capture every hair follicle but the other maps should be smaller.

These are only suggested use, at the end of the day your the artist. So you pick what best suits your needs for your object. but, regardless we should always practice optimizing every thing for better performance. Because once its uploaded to the workshop its no longer a personal use object ;)
I gather in update 5 they took away the 16 and 32 resolution because they deemed it not practical. As without Manipulating the compiler with tricks. The every day person following the guild cant create objects smaller then .5m and likewise the max resolution being 8m they seen no reason to allow larger resolutions.

And for a better explanation of POV verse pixels and range/distance. Seeing how the Las Vegas sphere works Just explains textile rates best.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSuSN_qfB0I

Last edited:
Top Bottom