Make fighters landing-capable.

Fighters can perform a role of small shuttles for xenobiologists. I'm currently using Taipan to quickly survey terrain from above to find rare biological objects because Anaconda's field of view is ill-suited for this, but then I have to return back to mothership and land it somewhere near the biological object, which is not always possible. It would be really great to be able to land a fighter, disembark and perform on-foot activities like scanning those hard-to-get-to mountain fungi, for example.

In fact, fighters are capable to land already, but players are deprived of this capability because of some reason. Before Odyssey landing-capable fighters didn't make much sense indeed, but now they do.

Attachments

• gu.jpg
    gu.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 144
Well, on one hand, that would be great.

On the other, I don't want to respawn when a fighter blows up, as they do THAT pretty often as well, they don't have a lot of HP and they tend to annoy enemies. You're not actually IN fighters, you're controlling them remotely.

A recon fighter would be awesome for exploration in general. Give one a supercuise FSD and treat it like a SRV in that you actually enter it! It just can't jump systems. And boarding should be a matter of getting close to mothership in supercruise.

Imagine, you multicrew to someone, and fly their exploration fighter around scanning planets and such. Not sure about biological scanning...

This was a popular request oh, the day fighters were released and for about a year after. I don't think most players would mind the respawn if they blew-up, it's how things are done today and it has to be managed somehow. The entire telepresence thing is just garbage and destroys any logical consistency to the lore and game-world. Much like the 3d printing.

Also, I'll digress a little and hijack the topic to the lost opportunity of having only fighters in that bay... it should be considered the "ship's boat", like sailboats carry dingys and luxury yachts have helicopter pads.

We should have a variety of vehicles and bay sizes for a variety of porpoises. Like skimmer tech motor bike, high-g world special lander that can land where big ships can't without magic maneuvering thrusters more powerful than the mains at the rear of the ship. A science SRV for explorers.

And yeah, 3d printed SRV or ditch the 3d printed fighter thing. The lore is broken even if cool is the rule, the state of the SRV is a bit garbage compared to other toys and tech.

I came here to make the exact same request. Sad it's something the player base already requested and were ignored.

I'm really starting to think really do hate the player base - tho I'm guessing the reason they won't is simply because no one would bother using the SRV.

Last edited:
You're not actually IN fighters, you're controlling them remotely.
This whole thing with telepresence may be solved quite easily: pilot should be able to switch between telepresence/personal control mode for SLF/SRV on control panel of mothership before launching either vehicle. You can use telepresence mode for combat and personal control for exploration, so you can disembark SLF/SRV if needed. Just make it toggle mode so pilot don't have to select it each time he launch a fighter.

Last edited:
I only ever bought a fighter bay, because I thought landing fighters or using them to scan data beacons was a thing. Now it's just lying around in my stored module stash.

I'm guessing the reason they won't is simply because no one would bother using the SRV.

People who prefer smaller ships for whatever reason would still use the SRV. Plus, the SRV has other uses, like cargo scooping.

Last edited:
This was a popular request oh, the day fighters were released and for about a year after. I don't think most players would mind the respawn if they blew-up, it's how things are done today and it has to be managed somehow. The entire telepresence thing is just garbage and destroys any logical consistency to the lore and game-world. Much like the 3d printing.

Also, I'll digress a little and hijack the topic to the lost opportunity of having only fighters in that bay... it should be considered the "ship's boat", like sailboats carry dingys and luxury yachts have helicopter pads.

We should have a variety of vehicles and bay sizes for a variety of porpoises. Like skimmer tech motor bike, high-g world special lander that can land where big ships can't without magic maneuvering thrusters more powerful than the mains at the rear of the ship. A science SRV for explorers.

And yeah, 3d printed SRV or ditch the 3d printed fighter thing. The lore is broken even if cool is the rule, the state of the SRV is a bit garbage compared to other toys and tech.

But 3d printing, holograms and remote controlling are real now though. Why wouldn't they be impossibly better in 1000+ years? 🤷‍♂️

We can print human organs for crying out loud. I'm sure we can project a hologram pilot in the cockpit of a drone

You could just have 2 options for launching a fighter - "physical" (which allows you to disembark) or "telepresence" (which allows you to switch between your mothership and the fighter)
Yeah drone mode or physical mode would be cool. Maybe only allow physical mode option within the planetary exclusion zone to avoid accidents/frustration during actual space fights.

I love this idea. They even have landing gear in the livery screen, so it always felt a bit weird that they couldn't land.

I agree with this, it's something we've raised with dev for a possible future feature. We'd have to get around the whole telepresence thing though.
Can you just remake old SLF fighters as they were? In old versions of ED Condors, GU97s etc had class 1 FSDs so they could nip about in system (but not jump).

I had a similar idea here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...scooter-fsd-capable-slfs.557035/#post-8760344

What it would do is then make SLFs a bridge between on foot shuttles and the 'first' ships like the Sidewinder without displacing the natural order of things.

The easiest way I could think of it is that you have a direct control small fighter version (that you buy / land / upgrade perhaps) and keep its SLF variant as it is with telepresence (that you buy pre-upgraded) so it acts as a drone.

People who prefer smaller ships for whatever reason would still use the SRV. Plus, the SRV has other uses, like cargo scooping.
Oh yea, definitely, my favourite ships are the Imperial Courier and the Cobra 3 but I use my Krait with SLF for longer trips outside the bubble as It can double as a mining ship with enough space for everything I might need out there.

I use my Krait with SLF for longer trips outside the bubble as It can double as a mining ship with enough space for everything I might need out there.
Well, all the more reason to have both a landable fighter and an SRV. If I just want to pop in, make some scans with the composition scanner, then land and take some bio samples, I can use the fighter. It would likely be more practical to do these things in a fighter, especially on high grav planets, than in a larger vessel. If I need to get some materials, I'll land and take an SRV.

My point is, as long as there are advantages to both of them, FDev does not need to "fear" that players would abandon the SRV if fighters could land on planets.

Last edited:
Fighters can perform a role of small shuttles for xenobiologists. I'm currently using Taipan to quickly survey terrain from above to find rare biological objects because Anaconda's field of view is ill-suited for this, but then I have to return back to mothership and land it somewhere near the biological object, which is not always possible. It would be really great to be able to land a fighter, disembark and perform on-foot activities like scanning those hard-to-get-to mountain fungi, for example.

In fact, fighters are capable to land already, but players are deprived of this capability because of some reason. Before Odyssey landing-capable fighters didn't make much sense indeed, but now they do.
But how did you get the SRV into that little thing?

if you're talking about telepresence....3000 years from now...then why isn't it as real as we are today? Two choices, telepresence fighter, like a hard hologram with your mind running it, or a 3d printed small fighter with limited time until the power runs out and it dies. you can be inside for short trips, but 1 minute too long and you both pop...lol.

Top Bottom