Mapping to New Heights ⛰️

Eltanin Casciani

Community Manager
Hayo Zookeepers!

We've been really hyped to announce this new feature to you all, so instead of waiting any longer, let's jump right into it!

In a future update, we're introducing an exciting new tool to Franchise, Challenge, and Sandbox Mode - the Height Mapping tool. This tool will allow you to create your own custom Heightmaps via image files, bringing even more diversity and customisation to your Planet Zoo builds!

MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg

There are 4 custom Heightmaps coming premade with the update, so if you're unsure how to go about making your own, editing these is an easy way to get to grips with how it all works. Once you've got the hang of it, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to create a custom map - edit the .tif file directly, refresh the map, and ✨ta-da!✨ Your changes will be there!

Here's our handy mini-guide on how to go about creating yours:
  • First off, you need to make your Heightmap, and for this, you need a 1024x1024 .tif file. Any modern image editor lets you save images as .tif, even paint!
  • Next up is making your map! The shade of grey decides the height of the map: the lighter it is, the higher the terrain. You can also create pits and crevasses by going darker if you choose. The ground level is set at 128 RGB and blurring or smudging can make some awesome things, so get creative with it!
  • Once finished, save your .tif file to Documents -> Frontier -> Planet Zoo -> UserHeightmaps
  • Launch Planet Zoo and go to create your new Sandbox, Challenge, or Franchise zoo as normal, selecting your biome/continent and set the terrain type to "Heightmap - YourFileName"
  • Click create and your new map will load! Practice in Sandbox before using Franchise so you don't waste any CC opening new zoos
  • After loading up a custom map, you can jump in with the in-game tools to smooth and tidy everything up!
MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg

Easy-peasy, right? We can already tell how creative you're going to get with this, and we're sure that soon enough, you'll be blowing us away by using Heightmaps in ways we couldn't hope to predict - just like you did with the recent Diorama trend!

We hope you've enjoyed hearing about the incredible new height map tool coming to you all soon. This will be included in a future update and we'll be sharing more information soon - so be sure to keep an eye out on our forums and official channels 👀

Amazing! Thank you so much! Will we be able to share maps via the workshop? Or any other means for that matter, it would be awesone to share landscapes.

Edit: some phrasing, and tagging @Tim Smith, so that the question doesn't get buried in the hyoe comments.

Last edited:
Don't forget that every update involves something with the animals, so we may get something psychedelic about them, too
True,

But as much as this is could be a great feature for many of us, I'm still wondering why there is no Scenario editor.
That would fit extremely well with this one.

I'm very keen to know which animals we will get though.

Are you kidding? People asked for non-flat maps and improved terrain tools since day 1 of the beta. It's up there with aviaries amd aquariums on the requested features list.

Great for them.
But I'd much rather had one of the other 2 options.

Awesome! Not sure yet whether I'll be using this tool that much, but options to work around the flat starter map have been highly requested, so I'm sure this will come very appreciated by many. Could be a game-changer for those who feel intimidated by having such a flat open space that can take hours to terraform.

Even more important to me is the indication that we'll now probably get some news with respect to a new DLC next week. :cool:

True,

But as much as this is could be a great feature for many of us, I'm still wondering why there is no Scenario editor.

Great for them.
Isn't that more of a end-of-support kind of thing?

True,

Great for them.
But I'd much rather had one of the other 2 options.
Height mapping; new heights; mountains...

Are we getting an alpine pack? Or something involving the mountains?

Top Bottom