Mass Manager vs Deep Charge

I've tested both Deep Charge and Mass Manager on my DBX in the beta. Deep Charge gets a very small extra distance per jump, on mine it was 0.04lys more than Mass Manager. HOWEVER, I vastly prefer Mass Manager on the DBX for one reason: that extra 0.5T of fuel used per jump matters with the slow 4A scoop on the DBX. The extra 0.04lys doesn't make any difference, but the extra time scooping fue is actually felt when comparing Deep Charge to Mass Manager. On a ship with a fast scoop it might not matter much, but on the DBX it does in my opinion.

I'll be sticking with Mass Manager when 3.0 goes live.

As a general rule, I can see Mass Manager becoming the predominant mod. Weight reduction has many other benefits besides jump range, whereas Deep Charge only affects jump range.

While I would rather FD allow you to choose more secondary effects, I think Deep Charge should get a fairly big buff. eg Deep Charge @ 20% vs Mass Manager with a 5A FSD drive:
1.04 vs 1.2^(1/2.45) = 1.08

Deep charge will then give much better range, but 20% extra fuel required per jump is pretty significant (6T of fuel per Jump). For example my AspX's 16T tank will allow 3 full jumps with Mass manager, but only 2 with Deep Charge.

Thinking on this, I agree that Deep Charge should probably have a larger fuel consumption increase. The fact that it uses more fuel AND more power draw on the power plant, means that it has enough built-in drawbacks that using it should be a choice that you have to put some thought into, instead of just a clear case of one being superior to the other depending on FSD size.

If they altered it such that Deep Charge nearly always gives you more range than Mass Manager (just to varying degrees depending on FSD size), then the choice would come down to how much time you want to spend scooping, how much power you need to budget on the power plant, and how many jumps you want to be able to get out of a single tank of fuel.

Thanks for your research (how did you enter all those math symbols, wouldn't mind doing that myself).

I haven't done much math lately, but by following the example that you posted I can see now that you only need to make a comparison of 1.04 vs 1.1^(1/p), to see which is the more effective between the two.

While I would rather FD allow you to choose more secondary effects, I think Deep Charge should get a fairly big buff. eg Deep Charge @ 20% vs Mass Manager with a 5A FSD drive:
1.04 vs 1.2^(1/2.45) = 1.08

Deep charge will then give much better range, but 20% extra fuel required per jump is pretty significant (6T of fuel per Jump). For example my AspX's 16T tank will allow 3 full jumps with Mass manager, but only 2 with Deep Charge.
That would indeed be an interesting compromise; fast travel vs absolute range.

I've tested both Deep Charge and Mass Manager on my DBX in the beta. Deep Charge gets a very small extra distance per jump, on mine it was 0.04lys more than Mass Manager. HOWEVER, I vastly prefer Mass Manager on the DBX for one reason: that extra 0.5T of fuel used per jump matters with the slow 4A scoop on the DBX. The extra 0.04lys doesn't make any difference, but the extra time scooping fue is actually felt when comparing Deep Charge to Mass Manager. On a ship with a fast scoop it might not matter much, but on the DBX it does in my opinion.

I'll be sticking with Mass Manager when 3.0 goes live.
That is interesting, because 1.1^(1/2.45) = 1.0397, so by the calculations mass manager should have a tiny advantage. However, reality says otherwise, so there must be something unaccounted for.

Last edited:
Thinking on this, I agree that Deep Charge should probably have a larger fuel consumption increase. The fact that it uses more fuel AND more power draw on the power plant, means that it has enough built-in drawbacks that using it should be a choice that you have to put some thought into, instead of just a clear case of one being superior to the other depending on FSD size.

If they altered it such that Deep Charge nearly always gives you more range than Mass Manager (just to varying degrees depending on FSD size), then the choice would come down to how much time you want to spend scooping, how much power you need to budget on the power plant, and how many jumps you want to be able to get out of a single tank of fuel.

Is anyone of you forwarding these fine thoughts to FD?

That is interesting, because 1.1^(1/2.45) = 1.0397, so by the calculations mass manager should have a tiny advantage. However, reality says otherwise, so there must be something unaccounted for.

I just tested this in the beta and the results seem to follow the equations precisely with the given P values (Coriolis also gives a result within 0.01LY difference). Mass Manager still gives me more range than Deep Charge:

DBX Mass Manager (61.42LY):
Nn3OnuU.jpg
DBX Deep Charge (61.40LY):
TRjUdD8.jpg

It would be worth seeing how Mengy managed to get Deep Charge to exceed Mass Manager on the DBX. So far the Hyperspace formula has been very precise for my ships including the Beta...but perhaps there is something else at play here that isn't on my ship:
https://eddp.co/u/dECWCVVL

EDIT: Oh, another important consideration. The maximum jump range is quite a bit different between the two results since 5.5T of fuel is needed in the fuel tank for Deep Charge vs 5.0T Mass Manager.

EDIT2: I think then when considering maximum jump range the formula would be something like:
Q11cLFr.png

Last edited:
That's interesting, but my FSD's are still to both 56% and 50%, before the blueprints were improved to go to 61.2%. Let me log into the beta and verify it...

Okay, here is my Asp X, first pic with the maxed 5A Mass Manager making 56.63lys on a full tank, and the second pic with the maxed 5A Deep Charge making 56.68lys range on full tank, for a positive gain of 0.05lys in favor of the Deep Charge:

hixEFfv.jpg

OtJUE2q.jpg

Looks like the beta 2 update took both of my maxed FSD drives up to the new max automatically, cool.

Still not sure why the math says the Mass Manager should be better but the outfitting screen is saying the Deep Charge does a bit better...

On my DBX, she gets 61.28lys with the Deep Charge and 61.22lys with the Mass Manager, so an extra 0.06lys with Deep Charge for my DBX after Beta 2.

Last edited:
That's interesting, but my FSD's are still to both 56% and 50%, before the blueprints were improved to go to 61.2%. Let me log into the beta and verify it...

Okay, here is my Asp X, first pic with the maxed 5A Mass Manager making 56.63lys on a full tank, and the second pic with the maxed 5A Deep Charge making 56.68lys range on full tank, for a positive gain of 0.05lys in favor of the Deep Charge:

Looks like the beta 2 update took both of my maxed FSD drives up to the new max automatically, cool.

Still not sure why the math says the Mass Manager should be better but the outfitting screen is saying the Deep Charge does a bit better...

On my DBX, she gets 61.28lys with the Deep Charge and 61.22lys with the Mass Manager, so an extra 0.06lys with Deep Charge for my DBX after Beta 2.

Thanks Mengy for posting this info!

It looks like your first FSD hasn't quite reached the maximum Optimal Mass roll (1690.5 vs my 1692.5), but your second one has or is closer to it.

The formula needs the Optimal Mass's to be the same before applying the either the "Mass Manager" or "Deep Charge" effect to do a direct comparison. I had a look through coriolis and it looks like 2.0T difference will account for around a 0.06LY; although it looks like your second FSD is even closer to the maximum than my own drive, so it should be slightly more than 0.06LY difference.

Last edited:
Thanks Mengy for posting this info!

It looks like your first FSD hasn't quite reached the maximum Optimal Mass roll (1690.5 vs my 1692.5), but your second one has or is closer to it.

The formula needs the Optimal Mass's to be the same before applying the either the "Mass Manager" or "Deep Charge" effect to do a direct comparison. I had a look through coriolis and it looks like 2.0T difference will account for around a 0.06LY; although it looks like your second FSD is even closer to the maximum than my own drive, so it should be slightly more than 0.06LY difference.
Maybe there is a bug in the beta and it’s not maxing out drives equally? I’m assuming you both rolled your drives until it wouldn’t let you anymore. Or maybe it looked finished but there was a tiny bit of the circle unfilled - so small it wasn’t visible. I haven’t played the beta myself (Xbox) so I don’t know how clear it is when you’ve maxed something out.

Baqar79 - I’m using an app on my iPhone to type in the equations, then posting them as pictures. I see you’ve already found a similar solution :)

Your equation above is correct - the mass parameter in the hyperspace fuel equation includes the fuel needed for the jump, so all other things being equal, your DBX with deep charge will be 0.5T heavier than the same ship with mass manager when performing a maximum range jump.

Yeah both drives are maxed out and I can't roll on them any further. I wonder if grandfathering them messed anything up slightly? Maybe I'll try rolling two from scratch to see if I get any differences.

Yeah both drives are maxed out and I can't roll on them any further. I wonder if grandfathering them messed anything up slightly? Maybe I'll try rolling two from scratch to see if I get any differences.

Yeah...this is pretty weird, clearly I can see your second FSD is slightly better than my one, but like you mine is maxed.

Maybe there is still some small variation at the top for all engineered modules, so not all fully engineered modules are created equal?

Last edited:
Yeah...this is pretty weird, clearly I can see your second FSD is slightly better than my one, but like you mine is maxed.

Maybe there is still some small variation at the top for all engineered modules, so not all fully engineered modules are created equal?
It’s the ghost of the RNG!

On a serious note, probably best report it if it looks like a bug.

This will probably come up a lot when 3.0 drops, so here's your guide to which one to pick in order to maximise jump range.

To recap:
Mass manager: gives you a 4% increase to your optimised mass. This multiplies with any base optimised mass increase you have from the increased range blueprint.
Deep charge: gives you a 10% increase in max fuel per jump.

Tl;dr - mass manager is best for larger FSD classes; deep charge is best for smaller ones. The break-even point is a class 5 FSD; in that case choose mass manager because it will be more fuel efficient.

The maths

If like me you like equations almost as much as you like playing Elite, read on for the details...

We begin with the hyperspace fuel equation:

https://i.imgur.com/T5UmyGZ.jpg

Where:
  • f is the fuel required (tons)
  • d is the distance to be travelled (light years)
  • M_ship is the mass of your ship (tons)
  • M_opt is the optimised mass of your drive (tons)
  • l and p are constants defined by the rating and class of your drive, respectively

This governs your maximum range, because your drive cannot consume an unlimited amount of fuel per jump. This is why, if you select a system beyond your maximum range and attempt to jump, the error you get is 'max fuel exceeded'.

Rearranging, we get

https://i.imgur.com/VEyVV90.jpg

Now we can see more clearly the factors affecting our maximum range. It scales linearly with optimised mass (irrespective of anything else), but any multiplier of maximum fuel is raised to the power of 1/p. The question, therefore, is which gives the higher multiplier: a straight 1.04 (Mass Manager) or 1.1^(1/p) (Deep Charge)? This calls for a spreadsheet! I like spreadsheets.

FSD classp1.1^(1/p)

You can now see that they give the same result for a class 5 FSD. Mass Manager would actually have a tiny advantage because M_ship includes the mass of the fuel needed for the jump, but it's already the best choice because it is more efficient.

Thanks for this excellent explanation! Reped! And bookmarked for future reference.

I think it may be worth noting that if you have a really small fuel tank as I do it's probably not better to focus on the higher boost of the "deep charge" option there. It's easy enough to be stranded as it is. Jumponium helps, but if your tank is virtually drained and the nearest scoopable star is far enough even it won't help. I focused on optimal mass with my RNG runs (ugh, don't want to ever do that again and it still wasn't really where I wanted it) and have still managed to get myself dangerously close to being stranded a few times (yes, carelessness, but come on, when you're making hundreds or thousands of jumps -- especially between spirals -- it happens.) Luckily I've never had to call a Fuel Rat yet and jumponium has saved me the few times I did this. If it were less fuel efficient though, even jumponium might not have saved me...

Actually, IMO that's a potential benefit to focusing on optimal mass regardless. It means you'll always be more fuel efficient and thus always more able to get out of a pinch when those tanks are down to fumes. There are tradeoffs each way, but it's the safer choice if you're just not sure.

With or without deep charge, your FSD will still give you the same jump distance per liter of fuel. The boots just allows you to use more fuel on a jump to give you that much more range on a single jump.
That said, just because you can use extra fuel on a jump, doesn't mean you have to.
Manually plotting to the nearest scoopable won't use any more fuel that it would without the deep charge.

Top Bottom