Engineers Medium Security Settlement List and Guide for Modified Embedded Firmware

Not sure if someone has said, but you can use the Core Data Terminal to stop the clock on your current data points countdown, so one can do the hardest point/s first then scan the core and have all the time to get to any other points, but as soon as you scan the next data point the clock will start again...I've found this useful in high G planets where it's not so easy to climb walls within the countdown.

I scanned 2 bases and got nothing at all, says 3 of 3 or 5 of 5 scanned. Does that happen sometimes or should you always get something at least?

A big thanks for this amazing work ! :)
Even if I don't get the firmware I want each time, at least I get a good chunk of money at trying.

I have a new base for you:
Scientific Layout
LFT 992 - B5A - Scithers Beacon

Another one:

Scientific Layout
B2 Carinae - A4D - Ricci Vision

EDIT:
Industrial Layout
B2 Carinae - A5B - Alvarado Reach

Thanks, have added these to the list and updated the notes.

Last edited:
A new one:

Industrial Layout
Gender - A1 - Thollon Horizons

Added that to the list as well and updated the numbers. Now we're up to 30 bases which together have given me a total of 20 MEF. Still haven't seen any of the bases reset yet but now I have more MEF than I can use at the moment so going to spend some time looking for more zirconium and other mats. Will keep adding any new bases to the list.

Last edited:
I'm trying to scan the data points, i ran out of time the first time cos couldnt find 3rd one. So have already scanned core, so can't scan that again.

NOw when I scan 1st data point and go to the 2nd or 3rd it says data point compromised and I cannot scan it? Any advice please, or should I just forget this one and move on.

I'm trying to scan the data points, i ran out of time the first time cos couldnt find 3rd one. So have already scanned core, so can't scan that again.

NOw when I scan 1st data point and go to the 2nd or 3rd it says data point compromised and I cannot scan it? Any advice please, or should I just forget this one and move on.

Not sure if this is what happened in your case, but did you scan the core data terminal in the middle of your orange data point scans? If so then your scan might just be "paused" after you scanned the core data terminal. DMC_Rules mentioned the issue with the core data point in his post earlier in the thread, basically what happens when you scan the core data terminal is that it "stops the clock" until you scan the next orange data point. So the clock disappears from your HUD but any orange data points you already scanned remained scanned. In this case you just need to find the next orange data point, scan it, and the clock resumes. So if you scanned one orange data point, then the core, this essentially "pauses" your regular data point scan and you can just continue with the next data point. So you might need to look for the individual data points that are left as part of your scan to complete them. The core data terminal is only scanned once and whether you do this before/during/after the regular data point scan you never have to go back and scan it again, it just gives you the Core Data Package credit reward immediately. Otherwise if you didn't scan the core data terminal during your scans then all of the orange data points should have reset and you should be able to start over again from the beginning as usual.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what happened in your case, but did you scan the core data terminal in the middle of your orange data point scans? If so then your scan might just be "paused" after you scanned the core data terminal. DMC_Rules mentioned the issue with the core data point in his post earlier in the thread, basically what happens when you scan the core data terminal is that it "stops the clock" until you scan the next orange data point. So the clock disappears from your HUD but any orange data points you already scanned remained scanned. In this case you just need to find the next orange data point, scan it, and the clock resumes. So if you scanned one orange data point, then the core, this essentially "pauses" your regular data point scan and you can just continue with the next data point. So you might need to look for the individual data points that are left as part of your scan to complete them. The core data terminal is only scanned once and whether you do this before/during/after the regular data point scan you never have to go back and scan it again, it just gives you the Core Data Package credit reward immediately. Otherwise if you didn't scan the core data terminal during your scans then all of the orange data points should have reset and you should be able to start over again from the beginning as usual.

I scanned the first orange one, then scanned the core which did pause the clock. I then scanned the 2nd orange point and the clock started again, I went onto the 3rd and final point and was not able to scan it as it said data point compromised (instead of active) and was unable to scan it. The clock ran down and failed.......I moved on to next system

I scanned the first orange one, then scanned the core which did pause the clock. I then scanned the 2nd orange point and the clock started again, I went onto the 3rd and final point and was not able to scan it as it said data point compromised (instead of active) and was unable to scan it. The clock ran down and failed.......I moved on to next system

Is it possible that there are more than 3 points for you to scan? Or that you had gone back to one you scanned already?

I have seen them say 'compromised' in a situation like that, but it always let me scan it. It won't let you scan a data point that you already scanned in the sequence of X out of Y. On the other hand, whenever I came across a base with a data core, the core was scanned with only one data point left to scan, so I have not tried it the way you state, so who knows. Maybe if you scan the data core with more than one data point left to scan, you have to start all over again.

Either way, make sure to watch as you scan, it will say X of Y data points scanned. That should help sort things like this out.

Can't rep you enough. I've been led to believe that only ++ and +++ HIGH security bases provided MEF (I have never seen MEF as a mission reward in a month). After watching videos of people casually wiping out all the defenses at bases without even losing their shields, I tried base assaults. I think they've adjusted this or something, because I just got blown out of the air repeatedly by HS bases. The one time I managed to take them all out, by the time I landed and got in my SRV and started looking for the six(!) datapoints required, and the defenses came back to life. I'll give it one last try with this info, so I'm hoping for better results. FYI. HIP 53537 Fidalgo Survey is an easy one to get without having to attack the base (3 DP in a triangle around the base and one more on top that you have to jump around a barrier to get to). I went back a week later and it's still says "data package already acquired", so no, they don't regen after a week. BTW, nice game mechanic, FD. Lock essential upgrade materials away in impossible to get to rehealing fortresses, and make us search a hundred to find the few where it's actually attainable (1 at a time-if you're lucky). Thanks FD, thanks a lot, really fun...weeee....

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I'm finding high amounts of Cracked Industrial Firmware in various bases in the Kabijao system.

Cracked Industrial FW and Modified Consumer FW are actually not hard to find. I've gotten mine from a couple of ++ bases, Encoded Signal Sources, and missions. I've been looking for over a week for MEF.

That sounds like what I was describing with the core data terminal "pausing" your orange data point scan. At this point the orange data points should have completely reset (since you never completed the scan) so if you return to that settlement it should probably let you start over again and you can just ignore the core data terminal completely.

Can't rep you enough. I've been led to believe that only ++ and +++ HIGH security bases provided MEF (I have never seen MEF as a mission reward in a month). After watching videos of people casually wiping out all the defenses at bases without even losing their shields, I tried base assaults. I think they've adjusted this or something, because I just got blown out of the air repeatedly by HS bases. The one time I managed to take them all out, by the time I landed and got in my SRV and started looking for the six(!) datapoints required, and the defenses came back to life. I'll give it one last try with this info, so I'm hoping for better results. FYI. HIP 53537 Fidalgo Survey is an easy one to get without having to attack the base (3 DP in a triangle around the base and one more on top that you have to jump around a barrier to get to).

I was also under this impression at first and thought I needed to attack High security bases if I wanted to get MEF to drop. I tried this once and found the base assaults against High security bases to be basically impossible. Apparently there are several videos prior to 2.1 where you could solo a base with an Adder and some dumbfire missiles but that was when you could easily target ground units and dumbfire splash damage would destroy turrets easily. Now in 2.1 the ground targeting is heavily nerfed, base defences are much stronger and they spawn base defence ships to fight you as well. Unfortunately there is still a lot of misinformation about how "easy" the bases were to clear pre-2.1 using dumbfire missiles which isn't at all applicable to the current situation with High security bases.

I went back a week later and it's still says "data package already acquired", so no, they don't regen after a week.

They don't seem to be resetting, but according to FD they're supposed to reset after about a week. One of the devs stated that the bases should be resetting in another thread but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a reset "bug" or some other issue that was preventing resets.

BTW, nice game mechanic, FD. Lock essential upgrade materials away in impossible to get to rehealing fortresses, and make us search a hundred to find the few where it's actually attainable (1 at a time-if you're lucky). Thanks FD, thanks a lot, really fun...weeee....

At first I was just going to give up on the MEF grind because I wasn't getting enough MEF from missions and the High security base assaults were impossible so I though I'd have to be content with my Grade 1 incendiary mulits. Fortunately with the Medium security bases dropping more than enough MEF for upgrades we can just ignore the High security bases completely. I do hope that the Medium security bases start resetting though because there are only so many bases for us to try and if they don't reset for us we will eventually run out of bases to try for the data point scans.

Last edited:
That sounds like what I was describing with the core data terminal "pausing" your orange data point scan. At this point the orange data points should have completely reset (since you never completed the scan) so if you return to that settlement it should probably let you start over again and you can just ignore the core data terminal completely.

If you scan an orange one, then the core DP, it will cause the first orange one to lock up. Leaving and coming back should fix this. To avoid this, always scan the core DP first, than the others.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of misinformation about how "easy" the bases were to clear pre-2.1 using dumbfire missiles which isn't at all applicable to the current situation with High security bases.

Lol, yeah, would have saved me about 4 mil in rebuys. Looking back, I'm kinda shocked I was able to even take down enough defenses to land at one HS base. It really is hard. These guys really need to remove these old videos.

Anyway, tried 5 of the bases on your list, got none at 2 of them but got 5(!) MEFS from the others. Thanks again. Tried to rep your response, but it didn't work.[sad]

FYI. HIP 53537 Fidalgo Survey is an easy one to get without having to attack the base (3 DP in a triangle around the base and one more on top that you have to jump around a barrier to get to).

I just checked this base out and it worked great, no shooting or bounties and I got 3 MEF from that base. These appear to be the "M5M/M5H" Extraction layout settlements that djadjok mentioned which he suspected were treated as "large settlements" for firmware drops. This seems to be accurate as the 3 x MEF I just got is clearly a "high-grade" firmware reward. I'll go through the other similar Extraction layout settlements djadjok listed in the other thread, they are:
M5HHIP 24968Chinton's Inheritance
M5HChick BaraTall Works
M5MAuschautsFernao Do Po Point
M5MPrthautasA 3Clebsch Horizons
M5MNyxB 1Thompson Horizons

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

If you scan an orange one, then the core DP, it will cause the first orange one to lock up. Leaving and coming back should fix this. To avoid this, always scan the core DP first, than the others.

That seems to be what happened to me as well, the data points "locked up" after I scanned the core data terminal, but when the timer ran out I could just start scanning them again. Not sure if it's a bug or working as intended but the core data terminal is definitely a good way to "pause" the countdown if you're finding a particular layout difficult, i.e., due to high gravity.

Finished running through the 6 Extraction layout bases, they gave a similar drop rate/yield of MEF to that seen with the Medium security +++ settlements. Added an update to the list.

Did any of you guys climbed a wall in a higher G environment? Tried the Industrial wall climbing but never gotten any further than 2/3 of the top .. Any tips? I am at Sawyer beacon 1.95G ... just keep sliding off the wall :p

Top Bottom