News Meet the Team #5: Mike Evans (Game Designer)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
Have there been any DDF discussion outcomes that you've thought "Well, that is just crap" Or the inverse "Crap, why didn't we think of that, it's so obvious".

Could you (would you?) tell us what they are?

There have been plenty of instances of both to be honest which I guess can't be helped when asking for a large group of people to talk over a proposal. There will always be someone with a far-fetched idea chiming in and someone else revealing a huge flaw in our proposal too.

Mike Evans

Frontier
Ooh, another Alastair Reynolds fan! Great.

Out of interest, what do you think of his further-future stories (e.g. House of Suns, Terminal World) vs. the relatively lower-tech near-our-Earth stories (frex, Pushing Ice, Blue Remembered Earth)? Any particular preference to one or the other side, or...?

I love House of Suns and Pushing Ice in particular. It was a lot of hard work getting into Blue Remembered Earth but towards the end I was hooked and wishing for more ;) But in the end I'm more of a fan of modern hard science-fiction in general so anything written like that gets my vote.

Mike Evans

Frontier
It is indeed the controller for a tiny helicopter and that is almost the exact conversation we had before taking the picture :p

I should have taken more time to think of a way to troll you guys on the forums. Someone here suggested after the fact that running Eurotruck simulator 2 in the background with some dodgy elite themed photoshopage would have been a great idea ;)

As for the helicopters me and Sandy are pretty much always playing with them at lunch and after work ever since I got mine on fathers day. Sandy was instantly hooked and has bought 4 since, each more complicated and intimating than the last.

Mike Evans

Frontier
Cockpit view? Have you positioned it to provide the most obscure view possible? ;)

Actually debug camera view, I was trying to find an interesting vista to show you guys but as the picture was taken my ship got destroyed and thus the camera angle changed to the default location you see there. It looked suitably obscure though so I figured I'd keep it like that and keep you all guessing as to what exactly it is you're looking at.

Actually debug camera view, I was trying to find an interesting vista to show you guys but as the picture was taken my ship got destroyed and thus the camera angle changed to the default location you see there. It looked suitably obscure though so I figured I'd keep it like that and keep you all guessing as to what exactly it is you're looking at.

Hey Mike, do you think you could maybe have one more go and post the photo of the interesting vista that you originally planned to show us?

By interesting vista I was actually just going to just look at a rock in space :p

Awesome a Rock, we havnt seen a rock at this stage of development, we demand to see the Rock of Elite Dangerous,

Infact i think us forumites should start an official Rock Of Elite Religion,

all hail the Rock.:D

Awesome a Rock, we havnt seen a rock at this stage of development, we demand to see the Rock of Elite Dangerous,

Infact i think us forumites should start an official Rock Of Elite Religion,

all hail the Rock.:D
We have been given a sign! Evans almighty nearly showed us the Rock. And we would have seen that it was good.

And thus it was on this day of Scorching that the holy disciple of Braben and the true seeker of the Rock did mention to the Forumites “I was actually just going to just look at a rock in space” .that he was to make a sacred pilgrimage to view the Rock, and as Brother oss133 shows that he is also a true beliver of the Rock, it must be good.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom