Meet the team Q&A - Owen Mc Carthy

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Hey guys,

After meeting the lovely James Stant last week, I'm pleased to be able to bring you a new Meet the Team Q&A!

Principle Programmer, Owen Mc Carthy is one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to the simulation and management in Planet Coaster and brings a really interesting and fresh insight into the development of the game.

If you have any questions for Owen he will be popping on the thread this afternoon for a short while and tomorrow to answer questions. At which point we will move the thread into the main forums for everyone to enjoy!

IMG_8247.png

What is your earliest memory of visiting a theme park?
When I was a child we went to Alton Towers. Nemesis had just opened and I remember being just tall enough to ride it and it was fantastic. It was my first “dangly legs” coaster and I still have a picture at home somewhere of me riding it!

What is the craziest memory for you about theme parks?
It would have to a tie between SheiKra in Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay Florida and Duelling Dragons in Universal Studios Island of Adventure. A couple of my friends and I went to Orlando Florida during our college years. We took a day trip out to Busch Gardens and it was at the quieter time of the summer and there were barely any queues for the rides and we were able to get front row seats in every coaster we went on. I distinctly remember the feeling and vision of when the duelling dragon trains head straight towards each other travelling at about 100km/h each ( with a relative velocity of -200km/h to each other ) and then curl up at the last moment avoiding collision. That was a great rush and you really have to be in the front row to get that special moment on Duelling Dragons.

Then there was SheiKra, which at the time I went was still the tallest, fastest, longest Dive coaster in the world. I loved going up the chain lift to the top and getting the magnificent views and being able to look down and see everybody in the entire park. Then it gets to the dive where it holds you horizontal for several seconds before the coaster drops. I loved it so much that as soon as it finished I went and queued up for it again. I think I rode it 3 or 4 times in about 15 minutes and was in the front row every time!

What is your favourite type of ride and why?

Rollercoasters would be my favourite but I also have a special place in my heart for centrifugal force rides like “Round Up”. You are put in a spinning cage and the centrifugal force pins you to the wall. You have no restraints, harness or straps holding you in. Just the awesome power of physics!

What exactly are you working on with Planet Coaster?
Since the beginning of the project I have been working on the crowd simulation for the guests. After production on Screamride finished we had a bit of time to do some research for Planet Coaster. I really wanted to take the crowd in a park simulation game to new level. For me there was no point in us making Planet Coaster if it was just going to be a rehash of what had come before. So, having a background in programming physics simulations, I loved the idea of using fluid dynamics to simulate crowd motion as I think it gives a very natural look to the guests. My gut told me it was possible and that I could do it but getting them from point A to B is only one part you also have to make them look, animate and sound believable. Luckily at Frontier we have fantastic animation, audio and rendering teams that could pull it off. It’s been a huge collaborative effort between us all.

As a key member of the team working on Simulation, which specific area are you most proud of and why?
I am immensely proud of the crowd simulation. The first principle is that the guests have to physically get to the rides, attractions and shops to appreciate them and hence spend their cash. No Guests, No Game.... The intelligence of the guests comes from the combination of the 'guest brain' figuring out what their likes, dislikes and needs are, and how they then navigate the park to discover and get to those. With such intelligent guests as ours, players naturally build parks that respect that intelligence. If you build a bad park layout you will quickly see your park overcome with congestion, full of unhappy guests and losing money. It’s not just a case of trying to fit as many attractions into as small a space as you can anymore. When I look at the parks our designers and the community are building, the ones that don’t have congestion look like beautiful real life parks. Real park engineers have to think about congestions and how their guests will feel and move around in the park and now the Planet Coaster players have to as well when they build their parks. I hope the player gets a great satisfaction seeing a smooth flow in their park.

We also have a very neat system in place which I’m quite proud of where we know the shortest path distance from every single guest position to every single destination instantly, with no CPU cost whatsoever. This opens up many possibilities for the guest brain. We are able to evaluate hundreds of destinations for EVERY single guest in the park when making decisions. We also know what rides are connected to what rides, which ones are accessible from the park entrance etc. It’s even used to build up your Park Rating. I remember when one of our programmers David Getley was starting to implement the park rating systems and he came over and asked me “Is it possible to know which rides are connected to other rides and the park entrances” He almost cringed asking me the question because usually that’s an expensive thing to do. I told him that the answer was “Yes, and it’s free so you can literally do it as many times as you want without effecting the framerate in anyway”. His cringe turned to a smile and I could see loads of lightbulbs turning on in his head with the possibilities that it opened up. That was a great feeling.

After the prototype phase where it started out with a few hundred yellow circles moving on a flat map, there were so many challenges to overcome. I had to prove that it was a viable technique for the numbers of guests we were talking and that it could work in a user generated voxel landscape which was being researched at the same time. Also that it we could do in real-time on modern systems. I am sure it made the lead programmer Matt Simper very nervous, as well as the lead designer Andy Fletcher. If it didn’t work we would have had to go back to the drawing board on many parts of the game, design and the schedule. It’s one of those things that you almost feel like you are staking your career on! I say almost because I knew with the people and talent we have here at Frontier and by having every discipline involved and on the same page from day 1 that it was possible! I think it’s probably the best thing I’ve programmed to date and I have no idea yet how I can ever surpass it!

And of course, we know that you are working hard on more sim features for beta, how’s that been progressing?

The crowd simulation has been working all throughout the project, it is fundamental to the simulation game we are making and so we wanted to test it early. Of course we continue to refine and balance and optimise it. The Alpha was really about testing out the creation and sharing features of the game, and Beta is when all the management elements of the game will come together.
To say I’ve been working recently isn’t quite true though. Instead it’s probably more accurate to say that I’ve been playing with crashing test coasters into the guests in the crowd simulation. We’ve just showed that feature at EGX in a glorious video and I think the response of the community has been great. They seem to have loved it as much as the guests in the video did and the guests in the video loved it as much as I did programming it!

What does an average day at work look like for you?
I’ve got a 30 minute walk to work so I usually spend some of that thinking about any coding tasks I’m currently working on. The first thing I do when I get in is update my code and resources and get everything building. While that is happening, I usually go and catch up on any emails, and go through my bug lists to plan my day. Next I’ll usually go and have a talk with the designers/animators/rendering team depending on the feature I am coding up and make sure we are all on the same page and that anything they require or I will require soon is being worked on. Then I usually run the game and watch the guests moving around hypnotically for a few minutes to make sure they are all ok! Then I’ll pop my headphones on and get into the coding zone, fixing bugs or programming new features.

What kind of music do you listen to while you are working?
I’m a big progressive rock fan. My favourite band is Dream Theater so I usually listen to them, but my tastes are quite varied. If I’m working on something that requires me to focus heavily I’ll usually have the Cloud Atlas soundtrack on, or listen to an ambient thunderstorm. If it wasn’t for the Cloud Atlas soundtrack we wouldn’t have overlapping paths. I distinctly remember having a technical breakthrough last November walking from work down to the bonfire in the dark and gazing into the bonfire and fireworks while listening to that soundtrack!

What have you worked on before Planet Coaster, and what did you do on those projects?

Kinectimals (Xbox 360) - Physics and Water Simulation
Kinectimals: Now with bears (Xbox 360) - Physics and Water Simulation
Kinectimals mobile (Android, Ios)
Coaster Crazy (Android, Ios) - Physics
Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Xbox 360) – Physics, Avateering and Motion analysis
Kinect Sports Rivals (Xbox One) – Physics, Animation, Core systems
Tales From Deep Space (Amazon KF, iOS) - Physics and Amazon library integration
ScreamRide (Xbox One, X360) - Ragdoll Physics
Planet Coaster (PC) – Crowd Simulation and Physics

How does working on Planet Coaster compare to working on other games you’ve worked on?
It has been very refreshing. Having the opportunity to do some research at the beginning really allowed us to innovate. Without that none of what you see on Planet Coaster would be the same. I really think we have a much more superior game because of being fully independent and having creative control now. It’s really allowed all our creativity to shine in a way like never before.

What have you learned so far from working on Planet Coaster?
We have a very passionate community who really like plazas.

What makes Planet Coaster such a special game, in your opinion?
I think we’ve really lived up to the “Simulation Evolved” subtitle. This game oozes passion and dedication from Frontier and the community and every screenshot or video I see brings a huge smile to my face.

What is currently your favourite Planet Coaster feature in Alpha 3, and why?
Guests using bins. I love how it turned out. Having the guests throw rubbish into bins while walking makes me smile constantly. After dealing with the constant scale and challenge of the crowd sim for so long, sometimes a small relatively simple feature to implement like this can bring much happiness and take away any stress

Tell the community a fun fact about yourself.
I have a replica of the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter that I wear on milestone days. It makes a very satisfying bobbing motion as I sit there coding and bobbing my head to music.

If you could ask the community one question, what would it be?
What else can we do to bring more life to the crowd?

Last edited:
Fantastic interview, and thank you to Owen and Zac for taking the time to share it.

I was testing out the crowd simulation recently, where I had placed one ride down with two separate paths to it. 100% of the guests would take the shorter path to the ride, they knew exactly where they were going and how to get there... and I wasn't even selling any park maps!

It was truly great to see.

Edit: I would like to see guests respond rides/coasters getting built... standing to watch, taking pictures etc

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Awesome post!! Was a very good read!

I want to start with awnsering your question :

Let me first say i love the crowd! The atmosphere of this game is SO amazing well done and the guests play a major part in it! And one of the things i really love about planet coaster is the amount of guests!! I liked RCT3 but i disliked how the que lines were always empty and the park never felt like it was a busy day... It was always like a rainy, weekday in April, with some guests in the park but empty queue lines.

Planet coaster seems the opposite, the park is always full of life and queue lines are full, just that single fact makes me feel the guests appreciate all the hard work i have put into placing my rides and coasters. And it greatly adds to the fun of playing the game. To me this is an amazingly well done job when it comes to guests!!

Now how can it be made even better? ... I really don't know, im already very pleased with what we have right now. (Me not having a single suggestion? Thats a big compliment i just made :D)

I do have a question tough... it comes to how people will judge rides :

If im im correct coasters will be rated by guests according to exitement, etc etc..perfectly clear. Transport rides will be mainly seen a way of transport, but will they still be rated by something? will more people ride a transport ride when i make some themed area's around the track?

And last but not least, how will the simulation work with darkrides? (or even tracked rides) They can't be judged on speed, exitement, etc... Can you shed some lights on how the simulation aspect of this will work? Is it scenery based?

Last edited:
Thanks for the interview.

What have you learned so far from working on Planet Coaster?
We have a very passionate community who really like plazas.
[haha][haha][haha]

Despite the small number of avatars/body shapes (It is common to see very similar characters for now), the crowd is truly one of the great successes of the game.

But if you really want to bring more life to the crowd (which is for me less important than many other things, like the "water physics" for the water rides for exemple), then, it would be interesting to add few things :

- Random events involving several people (a couple who stop just for arguing/kissing, a father/mother who crouched down to talk to his little son/daughter, this kind of things).
- Objects with which they can interact (mobile phone, camera, park map), this kind of objects allows you to create animations making the crowd more credible because full of small details.
- Several speeds. I really think that if people are walking with different speed, it would make more realistic crowd (some want to visit by walking slowly, younger want to do more attractions as possible one the day so they run). This is something that I thought I saw in the simulation of the first dev diary, but in the alpha, I feel they all walk in the same speed.

I think that two things (that make pedestrians alive in the Rockstar games GTA and RDR, or Watch Dogs for exemple) are missing here (1) to see people walk AND run, and (2) to see them doing things with their phones, like to call someone, to make a selfie/groupfie, to take a picture, to send a text sitting on a bench.

My opinion.

Also, two questions :
- Have you planned a way to define themed areas ? I listened Jonny Watts say that the AI would be "smarter" during EGX, but assuming I create a land "Western" and a land "Forest" next to it. I will use exactly the same materials to build my buildings, the only way to use them will change. In this case, how the mascot will understand that the two themes are different ? I'm curious.
- Can you tell us at least one new feature on which the team works ? [tongue]

Last edited:
Great interview and very interesting to read! I struggled to find anything to ask because you've already answered all my questions in so much detail [big grin]. One of my favourite things about Planet Coaster is the crowd mechanics and the way the guests move around the park in such a realistic way without walking through each other. The thing I find most impressive is that when I look at the guests in my park from a distance, it's just SO real looking seeing the flow of the crowd moving around and interacting.

We also have a very neat system in place which I’m quite proud of where we know the shortest path distance from every single guest position to every single destination instantly, with no CPU cost whatsoever. This opens up many possibilities for the guest brain. We are able to evaluate hundreds of destinations for EVERY single guest in the park when making decisions. We also know what rides are connected to what rides, which ones are accessible from the park entrance etc. It’s even used to build up your Park Rating. I remember when one of our programmers David Getley was starting to implement the park rating systems and he came over and asked me “Is it possible to know which rides are connected to other rides and the park entrances” He almost cringed asking me the question because usually that’s an expensive thing to do. I told him that the answer was “Yes, and it’s free so you can literally do it as many times as you want without effecting the framerate in anyway”. His cringe turned to a smile and I could see loads of lightbulbs turning on in his head with the possibilities that it opened up. That was a great feeling.

WOW. That's impressive! Would you be able to tell more about how that works? Or is it a big secret? [squeeeeee]

Already I've noticed that my parks are really coming to life with 3000-ish people and as Vampiro mentioned above as well in RCT3 etc the parks always looked a bit empty, but that's not the case in Planet Coaster and that's a huge selling point for me! But I was wondering if you have a target in mind for the number of guests you would like to have in a park while still maintaining a playable frame rate? Can we expect that number to increase? Or is that something that will be too taxing on performance with all the other great features that are getting added for beta too? [happy]

Ooh that's a difficult one... I'd maybe like to see the occasional guest (or group of guests) wandering off to some of the quieter areas of the park or taking a longer detour to get somewhere. I think it would be cool to see people sitting in a garden to eat their lunch or just to have a walk away from the noisy children without having anything specific to go for. But I can see how that might be a challenge [wacky][big grin]

Last edited:
Ooh that's a difficult one... I'd maybe like to see the occasional guest (or group of guests) wandering off to some of the quieter areas of the park or taking a longer detour to get somewhere. I think it would be cool to see people sitting in a garden to eat their lunch or just to have a walk away from the noisy children without having anything specific to go for. But I can see how that might be a challenge [wacky][big grin]
gregorburns1 is right. [yesnod][up]
If you make a huge building (I do not know, a big mayan temple for example) connected to a road, but where there is no attraction/restaurant/shop next to it, then the crowd are not really interested.

Last edited:
Hello Owen,

THANK you for taking the time and giving us so many information about your job and what you do.

Really, the crowd and crowd flow is amazing [up][up][up]
I love the groups, couples and they always seem to know where they want to go next.

I don't have any question as my questions have already been asked ( I would like to see some guests as well interacting with objects like making selfies or using their cellphone).

Thank you very much for your hard work for this game - it's really an amazing game!

Have a wonderful time!
Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
Firstaval: Thanks for the introduction!

For the question: I would like to see people grabbing money out of their pocket when buying things!
My question: Will there be a fear / scare rating for dark rides like ghost trains?

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Firstaval: Thanks for the introduction!

My question: Will there be a fear / scare rating for dark rides like ghost trains?

Thats basically what i ment with my question as well. How will non-coaster/flatrides be rated? But with my limited english your question might be more clear :D
(I don't think it should be a scare/fear thing because not all darkrides are ment to scare you. But i guess we both kind of trying to ask the same thing here)

Last edited:
Nice to meet you Owen, thanks for sharing! [big grin]

For your question: I love the crowd. It is so amazing when the peeps start to populate the park and rides. Amazing! But there is one thing I´d love to see. If you take a look at theme parks, you can always see peeps just standing around and having a look at something. They are not always walking, or sitting or waiting [big grin] The peeps in Planet Coaster are always in movement.

And my question: I remember in RCT3 that rides that are located far from the main entrance did not get many guests, but the rides near the entrance. Will peeps notice a good ride, no matter how far away it is from the entrance?

Thats basically what i ment with my question as well. How will non-coaster/flatrides be rated? But with my limited english your question might be more clear :D
(I don't think it should be a scare/fear thing because not all darkrides are ment to scare you. But i guess we both kind of trying to ask the same thing here)

Hehe, just read your question, but double needled holds better [haha]

Owen Mc Carthy

Frontier
Frontier
I do have a question tough... it comes to how people will judge rides :

If im im correct coasters will be rated by guests according to exitement, etc etc..perfectly clear. Transport rides will be mainly seen a way of transport, but will they still be rated by something? will more people ride a transport ride when i make some themed area's around the track?

And last but not least, how will the simulation work with darkrides? (or even tracked rides) They can't be judged on speed, exitement, etc... Can you shed some lights on how the simulation aspect of this will work? Is it scenery based?

Thanks for all the lovely comments Vampiro. I'm glad you are all enjoying the guests. I don't want to say too much about this at the moment as the transport rides are not my specific area, but stay tuned as I think we might be talking more about other simulation elements in other Q and A's soon.

Hi and nice to meet you :). Thanks for the nice interview. In real parks often parents stay outside a ride waiting for their childs to get back from a kids ride for example.

Owen Mc Carthy

Frontier
Frontier
- Random events involving several people (a couple who stop just for arguing/kissing, a father/mother who crouched down to talk to his little son/daughter, this kind of things).
- Objects with which they can interact (mobile phone, camera, park map), this kind of objects allows you to create animations making the crowd more credible because full of small details.
I think we are all fans of random events Angelis. It's something we have talked about internally and want to do more of and we might get a chance to put some more polish in this area before release, but it will depend on how things get prioritised before release!

- Several speeds. I really think that if people are walking with different speed, it would make more realistic crowd (some want to visit by walking slowly, younger want to do more attractions as possible one the day so they run). This is something that I thought I saw in the simulation of the first dev diary, but in the alpha, I feel they all walk in the same speed.
As it stands currently every single person in a park has a slightly different desired walking speed(which gets effected by congestion). We have a 25~ percent difference in the min and max desired walking speeds. If you look closely on a straight you should see some people overtaking other people. I'll see if there is more we can do to make this more obvious though and maybe stretch the range a little bit more.

Nice to meet you and first let me say thank you for the incredible crowd system. I find myself staring at them for hours amazed at how it all works. Im a huge fan of fluid dynamics.... that being said if there are potential plans for a dynamic water system it was mentioned in the most resent EDX stream the challenge presenting itself is the undo system.

Couldnt the water system work similarly to the crowd simulation (undo funtion doesnt affect it)? And potentially u could control the water with an emitter of sorts that can be deleted?

Second question,

Wbats been your proudest moment as it relates to Planet Coaster as well as your most challenging?

Thank you again and keep up the amazing work. :)

Owen Mc Carthy

Frontier
Frontier
WOW. That's impressive! Would you be able to tell more about how that works? Or is it a big secret? [squeeeeee]

Already I've noticed that my parks are really coming to life with 3000-ish people and as Vampiro mentioned above as well in RCT3 etc the parks always looked a bit empty, but that's not the case in Planet Coaster and that's a huge selling point for me! But I was wondering if you have a target in mind for the number of guests you would like to have in a park while still maintaining a playable frame rate? Can we expect that number to increase? Or is that something that will be too taxing on performance with all the other great features that are getting added for beta too? [happy]
That's a big secret at the moment!!
Casting my mind back to the first dev diary I think we said we were looking at 10,000. I don't think much has changed in that target. More powerful systems will be able to have more, and I imagine as the years tick by that number will go up and up as computer hardware gets better and better. The systems all scale with the hardware so I'm really looking forward to see how many guests we can handle in a few more years!

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
I think we are all fans of random events Angelis. It's something we have talked about internally and want to do more of and we might get a chance to put some more polish in this area before release, but it will depend on how things get prioritised before release!

Im pretty sure you will not be able to answer this, but that comment suggests very strong that after release development will keep going. I understand you can't comment, but i sooo love the sound of that [happy]

And thanks for answering my question! Looking forward to hear more about simulation aspects on other rides! Keep up the good work and thank YOU!

That's a big secret at the moment!!
Casting my mind back to the first dev diary I think we said we were looking at 10,000. I don't think much has changed in that target. More powerful systems will be able to have more, and I imagine as the years tick by that number will go up and up as computer hardware gets better and better. The systems all scale with the hardware so I'm really looking forward to see how many guests we can handle in a few more years!

But i guess/hope that isn't a hard limit just yet? Ollie43 uploaded a Youtube video where he has almost 11,000 [mouth shut]

I just re-watched dev. Diary 1 and Matthew mentioned even 20,000 were the numbers they were looking at. [mouth shut]

Last edited:
I don't have a question.
I just want to let you know how much I appreciate what you have done with peep behavior and crowd flow.
It's easy to get lost in the beautiful details of all the rides and scenery. But I do like pulling back from the park a little to just watch the crowd.
It has a zen quality to it.

I am amazed at the sheer number of peeps we can have, and still remain playable on a midrange laptop.

[video=youtube;qWidtEm3zfk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWidtEm3zfk[/video]

Hey Owen,

Thanks for that brilliant inside look into the bones of the game.

I just have to say that the crowd simulation is so good that, as a player, you don't give it a second thought. It's like they behave like that because that's how you expect them to. That's what people do, right? You kinda forget that there are a team of geniuses, sitting in their little Batcave, coding all this stuff and sweating blood solving problems and finding solutions. Well that just boggles my brain. And I'd like to personally thank you all for the attention to detail and love you're all putting into this. It really makes a difference and it is looking to be the game I've dreamed of forever.

So stop being so good. If you put a few more "quirks" into the guests and the game as a whole (like the other game does [mouth shut]) we'll notice that real people have made the guests in Planet Coaster and that they actually aren't real breathing little digital people with a life of their own [wink]

So to answer your question, it's only details really that can improve it as you're so on track.
I'd say one thing that is slightly off is the path congestion near a stall. The queue seem to goes directly across a path, blocking it and the guests just stand there for a while, working it out. I get that it's probably a very complex thing to code but in real life, people don't really do that. It seems to take too long for people to start moving again.

But as for the details, I'd like to see people on their phones, people taking pictures, kids running off in front of their parents a little way as they're excited, and tired kids being picked up and carried on their parents shoulders. I'd like to see the occasional hug too.[happy]

Thanks Owen for your replies and well done to you and the rest of the programming team for all the hard work you've put into the game so far. It's a breath of fresh air to see a game bringing so much life to the park guests (ahem), certainly puts a smile on the faces of the players [up]

As gregor/angelis say (without knowing exactly the complexities behind programming something like this) it would be nice to see crowds walk down paths that have no rides/shops etc. even if it's not the shortest route to where they are planning to go. Sometimes they just want to appreciate the scenery and sit down to recharge their batteries [cool]

Top Bottom