Meet the team Q&A - Owen Mc Carthy

Hello Owen. Nice to meet you here. We love and respect the hard work you put into the game! And me and others want to support the game as long as we can do for years.

I'm supporting all the questions asked before from vampiro, Angelis, gregorburns. These questions shaping the basement of the game.

Want I want to know is how objects behave on pathes. Guests walk through. We all want that every objects placed on pathes should get its 100% collision detection. If I set a wall diagonal to the path because it's looking more atmospheric and even if the path would getting smaller the guests should only use the parts of the pathes that aren't covered of walls and objects!

Thx so far and keep up the good work:)

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Hey Owen, thank you for taking the time for a Q&A with us. Fantastic interview. We appreciate all the hard work you do for the lovely guests (and other things) in Planet Coaster [heart]

Planet Coaster is shaping up to be a true masterpiece of a game! [big grin]

Owen Mc Carthy

Frontier
Frontier
I just have to say that the crowd simulation is so good that, as a player, you don't give it a second thought. It's like they behave like that because that's how you expect them to. That's what people do, right? You kinda forget that there are a team of geniuses, sitting in their little Batcave, coding all this stuff and sweating blood solving problems and finding solutions. Well that just boggles my brain. And I'd like to personally thank you all for the attention to detail and love you're all putting into this. It really makes a difference and it is looking to be the game I've dreamed of forever.
Thanks for the lovely comments Nemmie. What you've just described is called "suspension of disbelief" and we've tried really hard to attain that with the crowd(and everything else) in Planet Coaster. The more people I get to suspend their disbelief when looking at the crowd the happier I will be!

James Stant

Frontier
Frontier
Tell the community a fun fact about yourself.
I have a replica of the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter that I wear on milestone days. It makes a very satisfying bobbing motion as I sit there coding and bobbing my head to music.

Which house does it put you in? Or does it change from milestone to milestone? [haha]

Thanks for your comments Owen [heart][up]

Seriously, It's really cool to be able to speak with you guys, about deeper questions and a little more technical (even if somewhat vulgarized so that everyone understand) than just an exchange of compliments (you already know that your game is amazing anyway [big grin])

Really can't wait the answers to our questions.

Owen Mc Carthy

Frontier
Frontier
As gregor/angelis say (without knowing exactly the complexities behind programming something like this) it would be nice to see crowds walk down paths that have no rides/shops etc. even if it's not the shortest route to where they are planning to go. Sometimes they just want to appreciate the scenery and sit down to recharge their batteries [cool]
Thanks for the comments. It's a big team effort!
The guests take congestion into account when moving so its not purely the shortest route. If you build two paths for example, one a direct line to an attraction and another one that is slightly longer, you might find as the direct path fills up with people, or rubbish, or vomit then people will start to take the slip road rather than move through all the congestion and rubbish. Then the hard working janitors come and clean it all up and then guests start using the main path again. There is much fun to be had experimenting with it.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Alright guys,

Thanks so much for asking Owen some questions and I hope the thread was insightful. We'll have more Meet the Team Q&A articles up in the coming weeks.

I will now move this over to the main forum for everyone to see. :)

Zac

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
But most importantly here's Owen in the sorting hat that he mentioned!

IMG_8253.png

But most importantly here's Owen in the sorting hat that he mentioned!

Excellent [squeeeeee]

Owen, first thanks for your time and for the amazing crowd of the game. The ambiance is just fantastic. [up]

About management, can you talk about what new management features will come for the beta or on release? Will we see new additions to the administrative tasks of the park (stocks, admin buildings, staff, etc.)?

Last edited:
The Guests and the walk on the pathes

First let me tell you up for now you have done a great work. I like the crowd, I like how they walk through the park but I don't like it, when the walk on the edge of the paths and half of their Arm is in the wall. I also don't like it if they walk through parts which are placed on the path. I hope that in the release Version these things are the past. But I'm really sure that this will be fixed.

Last edited:
About management, can you talk about what new management features will come for the beta or on release? Will we see new additions to the administrative tasks of the park (stocks, admin buildings, staff, etc.)?

Clearly that's something that's more suited to the design team and don't think he'll be answering more questions anyway as it was a Coaster Head Club Q&A.

Last edited:
Hello Owen!
Love the sorting hat. ;)

I wonder who is the one who work with the placing of the paths? Many are not entirely happy with how pathing works, for example how you can't raise terrain up to a path and then make it flush, now you can only raise it up to a degree and there's still supports under. Just an example.

I am asking because I do not know where to ask.. ;)

Top Bottom