Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Deleted member 182079

D
Funny how practice makes (not quite) perfect. Done my 3rd short haul (1.5hrs) full IFR/ILS flight in the A320neo now, becoming a lot more confident handling the various instruments, FP and buttons - although it helps that many are "inoperable" so it looks worse than it is really. The only mistake I made during last night's flight was I forgot to press the APPR button so had to go around once (even that and working around the buggy USR waypoints issue is becoming easier now, though ATC got confused and told me to increase altitude to 3,000ft when I was about 500ft away from the runway); landing was a bit bumpy but no lives were lost at least.

Deleted member 182079

D
It is satisfying when you get these things correct. When you get chance download the Fly By Wire Mod for the A320 - there's a lot more to interact with! ;-)
Hehe baby steps :) But it's true that it's amazing how much satisfaction I'm getting from these things; in FSX and before I always scoffed at the idea of flying an airliner, but the way everything (mostly) works (and looks of course!) in FS2020 has really encouraged me to dig a bit deeper and learn RL things I will never use IRL lol.

Even just figuring out how to set up a proper GPS approach was a major revelation for me - always bugged me how much of a pain it was to approach a landing without any airport charts, at least in the faster planes so I used to avoid them. Not anymore.

I assume the Dreamliner & 747 are similar to the A320 in terms of functionality (or lack of it to some extent)? Haven't tried either yet but feel I'm ready soon.

Edit - what I'm thinking about doing is adding some more realism in how and where I fly - went from my home airport to DUB last night, from there I will check out various places (such as Kerry), hop on an airliner from a major airport to another country, explore locally in a small plane, and so on and so forth. Anyone else playing that way? Picking random spots is nice for sightseeing but a bit too random for me and without much purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 182079

D
To be honest the 320 is the best of a not particularly great bunch.

Programming the Flight Management Computer (FMC) is hit and miss in the other two, especially late in the flight when you get given your approach.
Oh I see - that's a bit disappointing especially since the Dreamliner I believe was part of the premium I paid for the Deluxe version. It's frustrating when the sim messes up during the final (and most challenging) stage of a flight which ruins the whole thing really. Hope this is on their issue list to fix?

For those enjoying flying the bigger, faster and more complex planes, I'd definitely recommend the Cessna CJ4 with the Working Title mod that I mentioned earlier in the thread. The FMS is from what I understand very realistic (at least one of the devs is a real world CJ4 pilot) and it supports VNAV descents, currently the only plane in the sim that does so I believe.

I had a lot of fun (and not a little challenge) getting my head around the functionality and will definitely return to that plane. Currently doing one of my own made up bush trips down the east coast of the USA in the 172, I just enjoy flying the small planes in VR so much. And keeping my fingers crossed that maybe someone will come up with a mod for the TBM 930 to enable VNAV... :p

I downloaded a preliminary and early version of the Airbus H135 Helicopter yesterday and gave it blast up through London.

Graphics look a bit post-apocalyptic as it was caching as I went as I haven't been in the area since Update III was released.

More a sort of taster for you of things to come when rotary wing finally arrives. :)

Flight Sim became very much a daily driver except breaks I take when the game CTDs for various reasons.
Last time I missed to take the precautionary step to switch back to VR while in external camera mode. Flying from Hawait to Seattle for countless hours, then crashing out just 40 mins before the scenic landing feels so brutal!

Flying from Hawait to Seattle for countless hours, then crashing out just 40 mins before the scenic landing feels so brutal!

Yes. While I haven't had a lot of CTD's, it's rather frustrating to get the HMD go black for a few seconds and then go to the WMR view minutes from landing after spending however long in cruise, since the approaches and landings are for me the most anticipated parts of a flight. :)

I am forced to take a (hopefully) short break from MSFS (and ED) as my G2 packed in a couple of days ago. They offered a refund if I wanted, but I'll take the replacement as I really love the clarity (especially in ED), and who knows, maybe they've tweaked some of the clearly known issues with it. I did take a quick flight in flat screen at the ultra settings that my new PC could manage without breaking a sweat, but it's just not the same.

In any case, I'm taking this opportunity to investigate the fact that the CPU in the new machine spikes and has to throttle thermally when playing MSFS in VR. Doesn't do it in anything else (well the only other thing would be ED as those are the only games I play). The PC clearly generates a lot of heat, but I added a couple of extra fans, and it's only the CPU now that ever gets hot, the 3080 only ever reaches a maximum of 72º C, but the CPU will have multiple cores spiking in the 90º C range, and it's not uncommon for a core or two to hit 100º C (in ED it seems to be happy sitting in the mid 80º C range, still hot but never having to throttle). MSFS, and presumably the G2 really seem to tax the processor. I monitored it during the flat screen flight and the CPU stayed at a frosty 62º C.

Yes. While I haven't had a lot of CTD's, it's rather frustrating to get the HMD go black for a few seconds and then go to the WMR view minutes from landing after spending however long in cruise, since the approaches and landings are for me the most anticipated parts of a flight. :)

I am forced to take a (hopefully) short break from MSFS (and ED) as my G2 packed in a couple of days ago. They offered a refund if I wanted, but I'll take the replacement as I really love the clarity (especially in ED), and who knows, maybe they've tweaked some of the clearly known issues with it. I did take a quick flight in flat screen at the ultra settings that my new PC could manage without breaking a sweat, but it's just not the same.

In any case, I'm taking this opportunity to investigate the fact that the CPU in the new machine spikes and has to throttle thermally when playing MSFS in VR. Doesn't do it in anything else (well the only other thing would be ED as those are the only games I play). The PC clearly generates a lot of heat, but I added a couple of extra fans, and it's only the CPU now that ever gets hot, the 3080 only ever reaches a maximum of 72º C, but the CPU will have multiple cores spiking in the 90º C range, and it's not uncommon for a core or two to hit 100º C (in ED it seems to be happy sitting in the mid 80º C range, still hot but never having to throttle). MSFS, and presumably the G2 really seem to tax the processor. I monitored it during the flat screen flight and the CPU stayed at a frosty 62º C.

I blame the RAM shortage, but it could be also the CPU. What I observed is that in external view a lot of load eases as cockpit instruments are not managed, and therefore swapping back and forth to VR usually works OK - just the last instance I failed to do so. I am planning to upgrade my platform with Alder Lake, so I can't justify further upgrades on this rig.
Anyway, I'll re-plan the flight and will try to put the aircraft where I dropped of, just ahead of Portland to Seattle approach.

Slightly OFF, but how does ED feels like in the G2? I was considering to take a look, but one quick visit into the Dangerous discussion takes my will away to reinstall. :)

Its a fix for the flaps issue introduced with the last update! Affected all aircraft, there was too much lift so trying to land was difficult! :rolleyes:

Wow, I sort of knew it felt odd, very floaty and at times I even missed landings because of it!

Slightly OFF, but how does ED feels like in the G2? I was considering to take a look, but one quick visit into the Dangerous discussion takes my will away to reinstall. :)

Personally I think ED looks great in the G2. Text is sharp and clear and on my new PC it runs very smooth. Some people seem to not like the colors, particularly the blacks, but I haven't found it to be an issue. It does have a fairly small sweet spot, but again I don't find that a problem, and for whatever reason, ED doesn't push the new PC as hard as MSFS does and doesn't cause CPU throttling.

I still play ED fairly regularly, but only very short sessions nowadays. Been playing since beta, and there's only so many pirate lords one can assassinate. I'm holding out for for flying (and driving) in VR in Odyssey, but don't really have any interest in the FPS stuff. But it's still a beautiful game in VR. :)

Personally I think ED looks great in the G2. Text is sharp and clear and on my new PC it runs very smooth. Some people seem to not like the colors, particularly the blacks, but I haven't found it to be an issue. It does have a fairly small sweet spot, but again I don't find that a problem, and for whatever reason, ED doesn't push the new PC as hard as MSFS does and doesn't cause CPU throttling.

I still play ED fairly regularly, but only very short sessions nowadays. Been playing since beta, and there's only so many pirate lords one can assassinate. I'm holding out for for flying (and driving) in VR in Odyssey, but don't really have any interest in the FPS stuff. But it's still a beautiful game in VR. :)
Same, I'm in for the alpha testing for Odyssey later this month, but really want the FPS bit in VR :-(
It would such a wonderful mix of sims, flying down to a planet, driving around a planet, then getting out on foot to take samples or shooting :)
Need to upgrade my headset though, and get some kind of drip feed and catheter installed ;-)

How NOT to land your shiny new (85 years old) Spitfire :-(

1250410_20210307151254_1.jpg

If you have anything in your Community folder, move it out to another folder somewhere else, re-run the game, and then it should work. Once it's updated, you can move it back and it'll still work.

If not, there are plenty of guides online as this is a fairly common problem. For me, moving the Community folder always worked. 🤷‍♀️

Huzzah! Finally got it updated. It came down to using a Bandwidth limiter for downloading. Utterly bizarre, but it's working. Performance seems a lot better since release as well.

Just picked up a new VKB stick and a Warthog throttle (upgraded from an X55) so it's a new sim, new kit, and having to relearn the muscle memory for DCS :unsure:

Well, kind of landed this time, hard plane to fly ;-)

Starting up and flying my brand new shiny Spitfire L.f Mk IXc in VR. Using HCS VoicePack "Aviator" for voice control and OVR toolkit with a Spitfire checklist in VR.

Subscribe to see more videos in VR for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 plus lots more !

Check it out at -
Source: https://youtu.be/V4H-jKPtMmw

What's going on with this XBox Live crap? I bought the Steam Edition, and I've never been asked to sign into XBox Live until this latest update... Is this a bug, or did Microsoft do a "bait and switch" and now requires me to have an account for a game that used to work fine without it? If this is the case, then I'm really angry! :mad:

Top Bottom