Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

What's going on with this XBox Live crap? I bought the Steam Edition, and I've never been asked to sign into XBox Live until this latest update... Is this a bug, or did Microsoft do a "bait and switch" and now requires me to have an account for a game that used to work fine without it? If this is the case, then I'm really angry! :mad:
Really ! Is this a really recent update ? The vid I did on Wed was fine.

Really ! Is this a really recent update ? The vid I did on Wed was fine.
Looks like I'm going senile, as apparently I did at some point sign up for an XBox Live account to play this game despite buying it on Steam. It just never asked me to log in again until today. Thankfully I had the password tucked away somewhere safe.

What's going on with this XBox Live crap? I bought the Steam Edition, and I've never been asked to sign into XBox Live until this latest update... Is this a bug, or did Microsoft do a "bait and switch" and now requires me to have an account for a game that used to work fine without it? If this is the case, then I'm really angry! :mad:
Sounds like Microsoft.

Looks like I'm going senile, as apparently I did at some point sign up for an XBox Live account to play this game despite buying it on Steam. It just never asked me to log in again until today. Thankfully I had the password tucked away somewhere safe.
Whew :) I was getting ready to be angry to ;-)

1250410_screenshots_20210311230348_1-hd.jpg

Well, gee, thanks Microsoft. Currently on my 3rd re-install of the game to get this working again. Stuck in an Xbox sign-in loop, and unable to play. Tried just about everything now... yet to even have a go at the UK update (thought I'd wait until Sim Update 3). :mad:

Deleted member 182079

D
View attachment 212414

Well, gee, thanks Microsoft. Currently on my 3rd re-install of the game to get this working again. Stuck in an Xbox sign-in loop, and unable to play. Tried just about everything now... yet to even have a go at the UK update (thought I'd wait until Sim Update 3). :mad:
Oof, that sucks. Is your copy from the MS Store or Steam?

Steam here and not had any problems, apart from the latest update not triggering initially (it did eventually when I spent some time in the menus, and every update so far went fine).

Edit - the only 'problem' I have is that I'm running out of SSD space (it's installed on my primary drive), will have to move one of the 3-4 other games I have installed there soon even though that will affect their performance (CP2077 is one of them and a pretty big install also).

Oof, that sucks. Is your copy from the MS Store or Steam?

Steam here and not had any problems, apart from the latest update not triggering initially (it did eventually when I spent some time in the menus, and every update so far went fine).

Edit - the only 'problem' I have is that I'm running out of SSD space (it's installed on my primary drive), will have to move one of the 3-4 other games I have installed there soon even though that will affect their performance (CP2077 is one of them and a pretty big install also).

Steam, and not had any problems before either (that moving the Community folder out before every update didn't fix).

I had the files installed on my Games SSD, even though it wants to put it all in my user profile (boot drive). In this latest attempt, I'm having to use a hardlink to that folder - so it thinks it's installed to the default location, the files are actually stored elsewhere. Hopefully that will fix it. Only another 75GB to download to find out. 😬

Deleted member 182079

D
Steam, and not had any problems before either (that moving the Community folder out before every update didn't fix).

I had the files installed on my Games SSD, even though it wants to put it all in my user profile (boot drive). In this latest attempt, I'm having to use a hardlink to that folder - so it thinks it's installed to the default location, the files are actually stored elsewhere. Hopefully that will fix it. Only another 75GB to download to find out. 😬
I wonder how the sim would run if I moved it to my secondary (regular) drive - it's not the fastest but I don't have any issues with other games that stream in content (RDR2, GTA, etc.), although load times are noticeably slower (I moved CP2077 from there to my primary drive mainly to address some texture loading issues which worked initially - the latest broken patch brought them back regardless...), but I reckon FS2020 more than anything benefits from being installed on an SSD. May have to bite the bullet and buy an additional drive at some point, and/or replace the secondary one.

I don't want to touch anything regarding the FS2020 install files for fear of experiencing the issues I've read on here and elsewhere... fingers crossed.

I wonder how the sim would run if I moved it to my secondary (regular) drive - it's not the fastest but I don't have any issues with other games that stream in content (RDR2, GTA, etc.), although load times are noticeably slower (I moved CP2077 from there to my primary drive mainly to address some texture loading issues which worked initially - the latest broken patch brought them back regardless...), but I reckon FS2020 more than anything benefits from being installed on an SSD. May have to bite the bullet and buy an additional drive at some point, and/or replace the secondary one.

I don't want to touch anything regarding the FS2020 install files for fear of experiencing the issues I've read on here and elsewhere... fingers crossed.
You can move the files to another drive - but it's not without pain.

First copy (I suggest copy initially until you confirm working) the files to another folder. Then open UserOpts.opt in Notepad (you can find it in "C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator") and remove the line at the bottom where it says "InstalledPackages". Might be worth taking a backup of the UserOpts.opt file first before you do this so you can roll back if it goes pear shaped.

When you launch the sim, it'll then pop up the 'Set your experience' window as above, and you just point the directory to your new one and click 'Update'.

With luck, it'll run through those for a bit verifying them etc, but won't need to download anything.

Once it's finished, you can remove the files from their original location.

Deleted member 182079

D
You can move the files to another drive - but it's not without pain.

First copy (I suggest copy initially until you confirm working) the files to another folder. Then open UserOpts.opt in Notepad (you can find it in "C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator") and remove the line at the bottom where it says "InstalledPackages". Might be worth taking a backup of the UserOpts.opt file first before you do this so you can roll back if it goes pear shaped.

When you launch the sim, it'll then pop up the 'Set your experience' window as above, and you just point the directory to your new one and click 'Update'.

With luck, it'll run through those for a bit verifying them etc, but won't need to download anything.

Once it's finished, you can remove the files from their original location.
Honestly, I'd rather move everything else than FS2020 - given how much I enjoy it, it earned the right to remain on the primary drive SSD indefinitely, and I'll rather stick to a 'don't fix it if it's not broken" approach:) Thankfully all is still good here.

Honestly, I'd rather move everything else than FS2020 - given how much I enjoy it, it earned the right to remain on the primary drive SSD indefinitely, and I'll rather stick to a 'don't fix it if it's not broken" approach:) Thankfully all is still good here.

I really don't blame you.

Honestly, I wonder if the whole download system was forced on Asobo by Microsoft for political reasons (getting everyone on an Xbox Live account), because it's so flaky and badly implemented it's not really in keeping with the quality of the rest of the sim. 🤷‍♀️

Good news here is that the download has finished and it does appear to be working again. Not tried a flight though (just downloading the three world updates). But at least it's let me back into the sim. Fingers crossed.

I've heard rumor that this update negatively impacts framerate. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, so can anyone confirm or deny?

Deleted member 182079

D
I really don't blame you.

Honestly, I wonder if the whole download system was forced on Asobo by Microsoft for political reasons (getting everyone on an Xbox Live account), because it's so flaky and badly implemented it's not really in keeping with the quality of the rest of the sim. 🤷‍♀️

Good news here is that the download has finished and it does appear to be working again. Not tried a flight though (just downloading the three world updates). But at least it's let me back into the sim. Fingers crossed.
Yeah, what really grinds my gears is that I have to have the .exe running while it updates - normally if I have Steam updates downloading I simply play Elite (Frontier copy) or one of the Forza games (purchased through MS Store, and only under duress because that was the only place to get them on PC; I see Horizon 4 is now available on Steam for a full-fat 69 Euros :rolleyes:). Seems designed to spite Steam users as any other game I have in my account is an absolutely pain free affair when it comes to updates.

I've heard rumor that this update negatively impacts framerate. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, so can anyone confirm or deny?
The MSFS forums are full of it...

I can't confirm or deny, because my Reverb G2 broke and needed to be replaced and my new PC was suffering an overheating CPU, so I can't play anything at the moment...

Timing couldn't have been better by all accounts. :p

I haven't done a massive amount of flights since the update, maybe 25 hours but apart from the flaps issue, I didn't notice much on frame rates to be honest...

I'm on the MSFS Forum most days and didn't remember seeing any major complaints...

As I mentioned, I can't play at the moment, but from what I can gather there was an update a few days ago (to fix the flap issue?), and quite a few people seem to be experiencing reduced framerate problems. 🤷‍♂️

Well, the game crashes if I fly anywhere near Seattle, so I tried a countryside flight and I still crashed out after an hour. Sigh.
And FPS was garbage in the middle of nowhere, but I just saw a post that others are experiencing that too.

I love this sim, but it would be great if it came out of alpha already.

Well, just got my 'new' PC back from its overheating RMA - definitely has a new motherboard, and possibly a new GPU (3080) and CPU (10700k), not sure, but they are specifically listed as parts where other components are not.

Has taken me the best part of a day to reinstall, MSFS was 151GB plus probably 5 to 10 GB in extras, and it's the first time I've considered my 100MB/s Internet to be slow! Took about four to five hours. Still, working nicely (as is ED) in flatscreen, computer hardly getting hot at all, CPU never above 64º and the GPU never above 55º. The test will come when my replacement Reverb arrives next week.

Have to say did not notice any issue with poor fps (don't actively monitor it, but the flight I took was very smooth), so fingers crossed. It seems that it's an issue ruining the game for some and simply not affecting others, going to be tough for Asobo to fix that.

Looking forward to getting back into VR next week in both ED and MSFS. It just isn't the same for me flying in flatscreen. :)

Top Bottom