Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

This is literally all I want, which is maybe why I don't take the minor ongoing (and new) issues that seriously, or get too worked up about them.

MSFS lets me fly low or high over a proper Earthlike world, and that's good enough for me. 🤷‍♀️

This is why when people mention other sims to me, I just switch off. Maybe they are better sims, but they don't offer what MSFS offers, and the sim part is only of cursory interest to me. It has enough to feel 'realistic'.

Maybe you would enjoy these (I am not endorsing them - I have not tried them): ;)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoP_navsig

Kind of makes my point about realism as they need to use the legacy FSX flight model (I think). It made me laugh to see that video.

I'm playing Steam MS FS X. It does the job for getting around, and shooting night instrument approaches. MSFS 2020 is great, and no mistake, but I can't afford a new box to properly enjoy it. Same problem I have with Horizons. Being on a limited income sucks.

I did fly over the Orkneys, in honor of Para, when I had it installed last year. :)

Many games are just plain wonderful, but now out of reach for me, due to pricing. Another effect of our brave new world...

Maybe you would enjoy these (I am not endorsing them - I have not tried them): ;)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoP_navsig

Kind of makes my point about realism as they need to use the legacy FSX flight model (I think). It made me laugh to see that video.

Yeah, I remember playing with those when they came out. Also an NCC-1701D. Funny, but... yeah... :ROFLMAO:

I get the 'realism' thing, but I'm not a pilot so I don't really know. It feels OK to me, but that's because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to flying a plane. It may as well be an X-Wing. 🤷‍♀️

Not expecting any experience with MSFS to count for anything if I was faced with the real thing.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkargy6f6o

I'm playing Steam MS FS X. It does the job for getting around, and shooting night instrument approaches. MSFS 2020 is great, and no mistake, but I can't afford a new box to properly enjoy it. Same problem I have with Horizons. Being on a limited income sucks.

I did fly over the Orkneys, in honor of Para, when I had it installed last year. :)

Many games are just plain wonderful, but now out of reach for me, due to pricing. Another effect of our brave new world...

(you mentioned this before and I still cannot wrap my head around how a US air force vet can be in such a position - it is a shame really)

I've been reading recent Steam reviews on MSFS to confirm I'm not the only one who's having trouble with the installer. While I can't verify it for myself (because I can't install the update), there is a massive surge of negative reviews around the quality (both graphics and stability) of this latest update. The irony is these reviews read very similar to Odyssey reviews!

All this negativity is starting to make me feel glum, especially since it is founded in truth. I think later I will leave a glowing review of No Man's Sky (already did this for X4) just to make myself feel better about life, LOL.

I've been reading recent Steam reviews on MSFS to confirm I'm not the only one who's having trouble with the installer. While I can't verify it for myself (because I can't install the update), there is a massive surge of negative reviews around the quality (both graphics and stability) of this latest update. The irony is these reviews read very similar to Odyssey reviews!

The initial update SU5 was a disaster for quite a few people by all accounts - myself included as after it I couldn't fly, constant CTD's.

A total uninstall / reinstall fixed it, thankfully and I was able to get back into the cockpit - but at 124GB, this isn't something you want to have to do too often. The updates are big enough... Took me 5 hours and I have a 100 MB/s connection.

Having gingerly added the couple of mods I use back in, and they seem to be working pretty much Ok (I love the Working Title mods for the Garmins and the CJ4 - VNAV rules the skies :p ) I was pretty unimpressed with the graphical quality, seems quite a downgrade IMHO, but I have been able to set quite a few settings higher than they were and am getting acceptable performance (in VR with a Reverb G2) and it improved the graphics somewhat.

The new UI is also a bit naff, but by turning off all the tips and even the labels, it's workable. And actually, turning off all the labels means you have to actually know where the switches you need to use are.

As for Odyssey, that's much sadder for me. I've been playing ED since beta, sunk countless hours into it, have a lovely fleet of 30 odd ships, and honestly I never wanted space legs, and certainly not the way they implemented it (FPS pew pew - oh and I play in VR), and now I can hardly bring myself to log in Horizons, as I really wanted something new to do...

Now, if they implement VNAV for the spaceships, maybe that would do it... :unsure:

The Game Master is annoyed with me...

Also, I won an argument with the deputy commander of TAC. Not a good career move. You know what happens when you speak truth to power...

Appalling. I hope you can fix your situation in time...

Digital Foundry talking with Asobo and the optimisation work they did, odd that they didn't port the PC version to DX12 since they already had to for the Xbox.
Source: https://youtu.be/32abllGf77g

Wasn't OA who said even XBox os runnning on DX11?

The initial update SU5 was a disaster for quite a few people by all accounts - myself included as after it I couldn't fly, constant CTD's.

A total uninstall / reinstall fixed it, thankfully and I was able to get back into the cockpit - but at 124GB, this isn't something you want to have to do too often. The updates are big enough... Took me 5 hours and I have a 100 MB/s connection.

Having gingerly added the couple of mods I use back in, and they seem to be working pretty much Ok (I love the Working Title mods for the Garmins and the CJ4 - VNAV rules the skies :p ) I was pretty unimpressed with the graphical quality, seems quite a downgrade IMHO, but I have been able to set quite a few settings higher than they were and am getting acceptable performance (in VR with a Reverb G2) and it improved the graphics somewhat.

The new UI is also a bit naff, but by turning off all the tips and even the labels, it's workable. And actually, turning off all the labels means you have to actually know where the switches you need to use are.

As for Odyssey, that's much sadder for me. I've been playing ED since beta, sunk countless hours into it, have a lovely fleet of 30 odd ships, and honestly I never wanted space legs, and certainly not the way they implemented it (FPS pew pew - oh and I play in VR), and now I can hardly bring myself to log in Horizons, as I really wanted something new to do...

Now, if they implement VNAV for the spaceships, maybe that would do it... :unsure:

I am getting my new and improved G2 cable today or tomorrow, I wonder what I will experience. When tried SU5 first I CTD'd from the map when I tried max zoom-in so I don't have my expectations too high. Anyway, if I have to reinstall at least I can move it to an M.2 drive which will hopefully help with loading times.

If I have headroom, I will look into deleting downscale first, then make the settings higher if possible.

Wasn't OA who said even XBox os runnning on DX11?
If he did, he is wrong. Xbox Series S/X is running DX12. Old gen Xbox One used a modified DX11 up until november 2015 before they switched over to DX12.

DX12 for PC will come at a later date according to this source.

Now starting to learn the ropes on MSFS on xbsx.
I thought key bindings were bad for ED but at least MSFS has use of keyboard on console( take note FD it works straight from pluging in)

Hey, anyone of you fellow Commanders had any experience with ORBX Skypark "career" tool?
Seems like a good alternative to "monthly membership" career tools.

Okay, so I got my new cable (got shafted by HP as I've got the old design), but it allowed me to try SU5.

G58 Baron, cannot take off as fuel selectors won't operate. Switched to King Air, all sorts of issues with AP not working and ATC tower comms not coming through, only my co-pilot answers.
And then CTD'd. At this point I think my installation could be broken and I should try to reinstall the Sim. I just dread to think on the full day it will require to do so...

Deleted member 182079

D
Okay, so I got my new cable (got shafted by HP as I've got the old design), but it allowed me to try SU5.

G58 Baron, cannot take off as fuel selectors won't operate. Switched to King Air, all sorts of issues with AP not working and ATC tower comms not coming through, only my co-pilot answers.
And then CTD'd. At this point I think my installation could be broken and I should try to reinstall the Sim. I just dread to think on the full day it will require to do so...
Did you also grab the small patch that came after the main update (it's only a few hundred KB iirc)? That fixed all CTD issues for me and I played for a few hours over the weekend.

That Baron issue seems to ring a bell - I tried a dark/cold start with it but couldn't get the engines to start properly despite following the checklist... exiting to menu and trying again and it worked.

Did you also grab the small patch that came after the main update (it's only a few hundred KB iirc)? That fixed all CTD issues for me and I played for a few hours over the weekend.

That Baron issue seems to ring a bell - I tried a dark/cold start with it but couldn't get the engines to start properly despite following the checklist... exiting to menu and trying again and it worked.

Baron cannot be switched unless you do an autostart or something.
Otherwise I downloaded all the fixes too.

Again, even ahead the CTD, this update is a disaster for me - AP didn't work, ATC didn't work...

Top Bottom