General Missions in the game

It's not the entirely board's fault that many don't do missions. Part of the problem is the ridiculous CR inflation of many activities. Only some missions are done for CR now, but it used to be that most missions were also good earners. Massacre missions are still very attractive, if you BGS many of the missions are very attractive for specific purposes (unfortunately PMFs turned many people off BGS so again, not the board's fault). The CR inflation problem can't be fixed anymore (not without upsetting many) but the solution to board missions being not very attractive is not to remove the board - the solution is to make better missions (or maybe even a better mission system and remove PMFs :p).

And you think illegal jobs don't have message boards? Some people even use Craigslist for that. :p
I would look at these people who will take a mission to deliver goods and run away, and after a while will do the same thing and so on endlessly.

It's not the entirely board's fault that many don't do missions. Part of the problem is the ridiculous CR inflation of many activities. Only some missions are done for CR now, but it used to be that most missions were also good earners. Massacre missions are still very attractive, if you BGS many of the missions are very attractive for specific purposes (unfortunately PMFs turned many people off BGS so again, not the board's fault). The CR inflation problem can't be fixed anymore (not without upsetting many) but the solution to board missions being not very attractive is not to remove the board - the solution is to make better missions (or maybe even a better mission system and remove PMFs :p).

And you think illegal jobs don't have message boards? Some people even use Craigslist for that. :p
I still do missions for fun, mainly odyssey missions to just see where missions take me. Though I wish wish wish Odyssey missions didn't require you to return to the mission giver/terminal. Just let the faction venmo me the money and ship me the rewards like in ship missions.

Regarding the CR inflation, if I didn't think I'd get people bursting through my windows swat team style, I'd suggest majorly increasing ship upkeep cost. The more expensive the ship, the way more expensive repairs, AFMU refuels, and ammo refuels are, add docking charges at stations. Give a monthly storage cost for ships. Cheapo ships wouldn't cost much, but you really have to work to keep your larger ships. And if you want a fleet, be prepared to pay. But I can't image the actual response if FDEV actually did that.

Oh and What's PMF?

The ultimate is to relieve a faction of their cargo, then sell it back to the same faction, at the same station, on the return trip...
I was writing about the real world, as it's sometimes cited here. I know that many people take advantage of the illogic of the game with complete impunity.

Illogic... Just as, like in the real world you mentioned, if you aren't caught it has no repercussions?
Well, I don't know who lives in the real world. Personally, I live in a state of law where criminals are eventually caught.
Well, that's because it is, well, a game!
Again begins the game of words, then they write that you can not because in the real world is not so, then they write that this is not the real world, but just a game.
You can't sit on two chairs.

The ultimate is to relieve a faction of their cargo, then sell it back to the same faction, at the same station, on the return trip...
No wonder most PMF-s have corporate government to close the black market...

IMO certain government types/powerplay factions closing black markets is nonsensical—in real life even North Korea has black markets and even Apple's new devices leak before release; why should some random corporations or tinpot dictators in Elite be different?

I live in a state of law where criminals are eventually caught.
To paraphrase a saying in my country: petty thieves hang in gallows; big thieves hang around in the parliament🙃

Well, I don't know who lives in the real world. Personally, I live in a state of law where criminals are eventually caught.
Again begins the game of words, then they write that you can not because in the real world is not so, then they write that this is not the real world, but just a game.

Of course you can, many people do it in the real world, we even have en expression for it, it's called "being two faced."

One of the defining characteristics of a believable fantasy or scifi universe is that it is internally consistent, some things in ED work the same way they do in the real universe, gravity for instance, some don't, so it's fine to refer to real world situations where the internal consistency of the ED universe matches the real world, and to refer to things in the ED universe that don't work the same way things in the real world work, but are consistent throughout the ED universe.

Regarding the CR inflation, if I didn't think I'd get people bursting through my windows swat team style, I'd suggest majorly increasing ship upkeep cost. The more expensive the ship, the way more expensive repairs, AFMU refuels, and ammo refuels are, add docking charges at stations. Give a monthly storage cost for ships. Cheapo ships wouldn't cost much, but you really have to work to keep your larger ships. And if you want a fleet, be prepared to pay. But I can't image the actual response if FDEV actually did that.
I genuinely miss the days when botching an assassination in a big ship and taking damage meant you'd likely lose credits. Made downsizing the ship to a manageable cost an important consideration.

I'm playing starsector again at the moment, and it's pretty neat how they made ships cost fuel and supplies to operate... with fuel dictating how far you could get and supplies being what and how long you could operate for... FD is kinda the same with fuel and repair costs, except they're inconsequential.
Oh and What's a PMF?
Player Minor Faction. It's used to denote a faction a player requested in the game, but functionally they're no different to default procgen factions.

FWIW, FDs parlance doesn't even care about whether it's "player" or "minor"... they use Faction (the BGS entities), Power (Torval, Hudson etc) and Superpower (Federation, Empire, Alliance and Independent) to refer to these constructs.

Last edited:
I genuinely miss the days when botching an assassination in a big ship and taking damage meant you'd likely lose credits.
Or even taking any damage if interdicted by pirates.
The (for me) early days in 2017 were fun, credits were scarce - but a good A-B-A trade run could make it all worthwhile!

Well, that's because it is, well, a game!
Mmm yes but suspension of disbelief requires internal consistency. Real life can be totally random, thus one can accept the sandbox is a model of real life and therefore you expect randomicity.

But the Missions element includes just enough narrative to tickle the narrative parts of the brain so one expects the kind of internal consistency you find in good sci-fi, not the kind of random stuff lying around (the geology/mats mini-games for example) one expects from procedural generation.

The way Missions are now it's the worst of both and that's very much where they miss the mark.

Edit: I see you reached the same conclusion about two posts further down the thread :)

I don't know which nation-state you live in, but you almost certainly do not. Even for laws which are high-priority enforcement both detection and conviction rates are dismal. For PP type smuggling stuff? Forget it.

Right, but if you insisted the game matched the real world you would probably find the C&P aspect of the game would be even worse than it is now. Because the real world does not make sense and we forgive it; but games we do not forgive.

Top Bottom