General Missions in the game

Dragon Age, Witcher 3 are all 3D and Final Fantasy hasn't been 2D since 7. 🤷‍♂️
I so wrote not only 2D but also the side view. The translator must have mangled the words.
When I play, I am the main character, not the figure I control from the side.
It's up to everyone, but that's why I like Elite.

These games are story-based. You're The Hero, doing Hero Things. Most of the quests are unique (and most people don't seem to think the few procedural quests are the highlight of these games) and questgivers are important to the story, often in unique locations and unique backstories.
I don't know about Fallout, but in Skyrim all side quests are generated. And I know a large number of people who have long passed the main task and just play the game doing these procedural quests.
In Fallout they just build their bases and maintain them, they play it and they like it.
It's like being a building contractor and needing to go door-to-door all over the town asking everyone if they happen to need a shed built, and all you get is "No, but I need someone to swap out a light switch in the cellar" and you're not an electrician.
Yes, the implementation may be lame, but at least there you can negotiate to get not 5 pieces of something and 15, and try to negotiate with the terminal.

Having played Skyrim to death, the claim of "Procedural" missions in Skyrim is total bulldung. It's the same set of repeating missions with slight changes in names and objectives. It's an impressively long list of missions, that I'll concede but they are only slightly varied "procedurally". The "Radiant" system is little better than ED's mission board. I don't think most console gamers that want to "finish" a game in 12 hours would've noticed but they didn't count on obsessive PC RPG gamers that will do everything in an area before leaving. :p

Having played Skyrim to death, the claim of "Procedural" missions in Skyrim is total bulldung. It's the same set of repeating missions with slight changes in names and objectives. It's an impressively long list of missions, that I'll concede but they are only slightly varied "procedurally". The "Radiant" system is little better than ED's mission board. I don't think most console gamers that want to "finish" a game in 12 hours would've noticed but they didn't count on obsessive PC RPG gamers that will do everything in an area before leaving. :p

This seems a good spot to drop this!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3mvRm0aOY

The whole "procedural" claims for a lot of games are, tbh, little more than "conditional randomness". Yes, there needs to be a degree of randomness included... but outputs should be primarily informed by previous activities and environmental factors to a much larger extent in most cases which claim "Procedural generation"

I remember 1 Elite. Do we really need a mission board? We have BGS, PP, Conflict Zones ...
Maybe just remove missions (tasks) from the game ? I've been thinking about this for a long time and maybe it's not such a bad idea.

P.S. I am under the impression of another game.
I will support Varonica as. I don't play BGS, PP, and space CZs. Should they remove them from the game ? Noooope ! 😁

I will support Varonica as. I don't play BGS, PP, and space CZs. Should they remove them from the game ? Noooope ! 😁
You have the wrong analogy. Essentially the question is, let's make PP2, BGS2 and СZ2 and remove PP1, BGS1 and СZ1 and some people disagree.

You have the wrong analogy. Essentially the question is, let's make PP2, BGS2 and СZ2 and remove PP1, BGS1 and СZ1 and some people disagree.
I'm waiting for PP2 the see the differences (people will play on Twitch ^_^ ). When it comes to BGS, I think creating next Elite would be easier to design and code :) I have no idea about what could be changed in CZs. In short, to me, too many things feel unbalanced and wobbly to try to deeply alter the game. Better start over on successor. But that's another story I think :giggle:

Dragon Age, Witcher 3 are all 3D and Final Fantasy hasn't been 2D since 7. 🤷‍♂️
And as an example of a mission-led game that works, Grand Theft Auto (original) has all the same things that make the sequels great. The fact you're driving third person top-down doesn't make a whole lot of difference and in fact when you're being pursued it's actually somewhat more fun, because you're not simply guessing where the pursuers are, and thus you don't get random events undoing progress you made using your agency.

When I'm given a mission to clean up a settlement, I take the regulator out last. Did I get a mission for the regulator?
When I'm given a mission to deliver 6,000 units of Tritium, it doesn't arrive at its destination...
I clean up settlements and steal everything without a mission, just because I can, and they are never anarchy controlled...

Well, if you don't want missions in the game, just don't do them, leave the fun in the game for those (probably the majority) who do have purpose to accept missions.

When I'm given a mission to deliver 6,000 units of Tritium, it doesn't arrive at its destination...
I clean up settlements and steal everything without a mission, just because I can, and they are never anarchy controlled...

Well, if you don't want missions in the game, just don't do them, leave the fun in the game for those (probably the majority) who do have purpose to accept missions.
The translator must be malfunctioning. I do not want to remove the missions from the game, I ask them to redo them for full immersion in the game.
You can treat some one in the bar and he will be favorable to you and will reveal to you where the ship with treasure is lying.

Well, yes I agree someone just likes a stupid message board where you can click a bunch of missions for tritium and then do not give it and he knows for sure that he will not be imprisoned for 2000 years for this.

And someone likes to fight on a spaceship with a view of the ship from the side and do bang-bang Everyone has a different game and a different attitude to it.

The translator must be malfunctioning. I do not want to remove the missions from the game, I ask them to redo them for full immersion in the game.
You can treat some one in the bar and he will be favorable to you and will reveal to you where the ship with treasure is lying.

Well, yes I agree someone just likes a stupid message board where you can click a bunch of missions for tritium and then do not give it and he knows for sure that he will not be imprisoned for 2000 years for this.

And someone likes to fight on a spaceship with a view of the ship from the side and do bang-bang Everyone has a different game and a different attitude to it.
Even that isn't really immersive. So there are just randos sitting at a bar that A: know the position of a treasure ship. And B: will just hand it over to some other rando who buys them a drink? That's as silly as a buch of people standing in the concourse yelling to passing commanders "Hey there, wanna do a crime for me?"

Job listings at stations make sense because it's work being advertised by the different factions. The problem for me comes when illegal jobs are publicly posted. And a job from faction A asking you to kill person from faction B is sitting next to a job from faction B asking you to kill someone from Faction A. Can't I just tell faction B that faction A wants Nancy Witherspoon dead? And doesn't this job board have mods that might notice a faction wanting a whole settlement slaughtered?

I think the mission board could be better fleshed out so the above isn't an issue, but not doing away with it.

And getting missions from people also has its own problems as I mentioned earlier. I'd prefer just having the mission givers sitting in random places with the mission icons over them, rather than designated places calling to passing commanders. The mission giver icon could just be what your insight AR displays to people who have reported to the network they have work to offer a Commander. So they just hang out until you approach.

Your idea would never work because it would require an elaborate interpersonal mechanic with NPCs. You're NOT going to walk up to some random person and have them actually have information about a treasure ship. That isn't a thing. The closest thing you could have is making friends with the bartender and they will maaaaybe eventually tell you about rumors they have heard. But then they really just become another job menu.

But any actual immersive means of getting in person missions would require many more spaces in the station to visit instead of the tiny concourses. Then you could have random background NPCs with work icons above them offering jobs. Have the most frequent job types be location specific. And illegal jobs could have glitchy off color icons to show they aren't official. Buuut keep in mind this makes the whole station basically a big spread out mission board.

Even that isn't really immersive. So there are just randos sitting at a bar that A: know the position of a treasure ship. And B: will just hand it over to some other rando who buys them a drink? That's as silly as a buch of people standing in the concourse yelling to passing commanders "Hey there, wanna do a crime for me?"

Job listings at stations make sense because it's work being advertised by the different factions. The problem for me comes when illegal jobs are publicly posted. And a job from faction A asking you to kill person from faction B is sitting next to a job from faction B asking you to kill someone from Faction A. Can't I just tell faction B that faction A wants Nancy Witherspoon dead? And doesn't this job board have mods that might notice a faction wanting a whole settlement slaughtered?

I think the mission board could be better fleshed out so the above isn't an issue, but not doing away with it.

And getting missions from people also has its own problems as I mentioned earlier. I'd prefer just having the mission givers sitting in random places with the mission icons over them, rather than designated places calling to passing commanders. The mission giver icon could just be what your insight AR displays to people who have reported to the network they have work to offer a Commander. So they just hang out until you approach.

Your idea would never work because it would require an elaborate interpersonal mechanic with NPCs. You're NOT going to walk up to some random person and have them actually have information about a treasure ship. That isn't a thing. The closest thing you could have is making friends with the bartender and they will maaaaybe eventually tell you about rumors they have heard. But then they really just become another job menu.

But any actual immersive means of getting in person missions would require many more spaces in the station to visit instead of the tiny concourses. Then you could have random background NPCs with work icons above them offering jobs. Have the most frequent job types be location specific. And illegal jobs could have glitchy off color icons to show they aren't official. Buuut keep in mind this makes the whole station basically a big spread out mission board.
It's just a visualization. With the level of programming and computer power we now have a view of ships and on space is not the same as in Elite 1.
Everything can be thought out and realized if there was a desire and means.

I think the issue is your OP just says "just remove missions (tasks) from the game" ;)

No - can we move them to NPCs, can we have faction offices with faction reps sitting in them....

And the mission board is a visualisation. When you look for a job do you register with a website and get offers/look for offers or do you pound the streets asking every rando if they have a job?

I think the issue is your OP just says "just remove missions (tasks) from the game" ;)

No - can we move them to NPCs, can we have faction offices with faction reps sitting in them....

And the mission board is a visualisation. When you look for a job do you register with a website and get offers/look for offers or do you pound the streets asking every rando if they have a job?
As correctly stated above, especially we are so looking for illegal work :)

Usually missions from the board are done by people for money and materials ? Are you new to the game ? When was the last time you did a mission from the board ?
What is the interest in the game for a person who has money and all the materials ? That the game is over and he should quit?

P.S. I'm not a strong fan of Odyssey, but it's the only one that has missions that are just fun to do rather than the outcome itself. For example: The secret kidnapping missions.
As a rule, all missions in horizons uninteresting and very easy to perform (even in one) so that they have a purpose not in the missions themselves but in the reward. Take 20 missions and quickly complete them.

Last edited:
It's not the entirely board's fault that many don't do missions. Part of the problem is the ridiculous CR inflation of many activities. Only some missions are done for CR now, but it used to be that most missions were also good earners. Massacre missions are still very attractive, if you BGS many of the missions are very attractive for specific purposes (unfortunately PMFs turned many people off BGS so again, not the board's fault). The CR inflation problem can't be fixed anymore (not without upsetting many) but the solution to board missions being not very attractive is not to remove the board - the solution is to make better missions (or maybe even a better mission system and remove PMFs :p).

And you think illegal jobs don't have message boards? Some people even use Craigslist for that. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom