Moar FD directed events like Palin

Don't limit it to combat events. Explorers, traders, miners, whoever, we ALL enjoy having things shaken up from time to time.
Agreed - though Frontier have generally tried to keep the big stuff pretty general in appeal - so I don't think there's any risk of it being combat-only.

The Lugh War was - famously - won on superior logistics, not superior combat.
The Dangerous Games CGs were a mix of things but mostly not direct combat.
Founding of Colonia involved a lot of types of event but again, very little combat.
Premonition's finale was combat-based, but most of the leadup wasn't.

Both IIs so far have had a mix of combat and non-combat activities. Palin's ship needs repairs as well as defense, and the trade CGs are still running.

Agreed - though Frontier have generally tried to keep the big stuff pretty general in appeal - so I don't think there's any risk of it being combat-only.

The Lugh War was - famously - won on superior logistics, not superior combat.
The Dangerous Games CGs were a mix of things but mostly not direct combat.
Founding of Colonia involved a lot of types of event but again, very little combat.
Premonition's finale was combat-based, but most of the leadup wasn't.

Both IIs so far have had a mix of combat and non-combat activities. Palin's ship needs repairs as well as defense, and the trade CGs are still running.

Yes, they generally have done - the Gnosis being a notable exception.

However we're talking about stuff that ISN'T a CG - even though it'll always start on a Thursday - and is dropped on the playerbase with no advance warning.

Yes, they generally have done - the Gnosis being a notable exception.

Not quite how I remember it though. What Thargoids did to Gnosis? Less combat and more 'a proper spanking'.

For the first hour even xeno corvettes were insta-killed on the pad so while planetary exploration Cmdrs were upset they didn't come for this, for a few minutes it was unplayable, by anyone. Shock and awe. After that yes it was a blockade run, and I had to cook my ship a couple of times to get rid of the caustics but with a Thargoid base in system and, new then, Hydra specimens to observe, it did feel to this researcher like a science trip.

So if I were to describe the Gnosis Incident as any of the core three, I really would call it an exploration trip that failed.
Before they even found the village, the cannibals captured the missionaries .. and made a stew! Hehe

Not quite how I remember it though. What Thargoids did to Gnosis? Less combat and more 'a proper spanking'.

For the first hour even xeno corvettes were insta-killed on the pad so while planetary exploration Cmdrs were upset they didn't come for this, for a few minutes it was unplayable, by anyone. Shock and awe. After that yes it was a blockade run, and I had to cook my ship a couple of times to get rid of the caustics but with a Thargoid base in system and, new then, Hydra specimens to observe, it did feel to this researcher like a science trip.

So if I were to describe the Gnosis Incident as any of the core three, I really would call it an exploration trip that failed.
Before they even found the village, the cannibals captured the missionaries .. and made a stew! Hehe

FD unwrapped the spanking paddle and got to work- it was the pure shock and "aggghhh!" is going on? that people remember. And in ED, if you can rememberfrom a year ago then its done its job well.

FD unwrapped the spanking paddle and got to work- it was the pure shock and "aggghhh!" is going on? that people remember. And in ED, if you can rememberfrom a year ago then its done its job well.

Oh yes. And extra fond because in this instance, 'pressing buttons' was the LAST thing to do; the docking area was shaking but it seem to be holding together, just .. ergo, stay put!

So I admit I sat in the garage, giggling like a madman, encouraging brave Commanders on local chat if they wouldn't mind popping upstairs to see if it's safe yet? Contacts Panel was full of non-human so until someone managed to return to say it was, the assumption had to be that it probably wasn't a great idea to go up there unless you were properly equipped, which it turned out nobody really was.

RIP .. Rest In Pieces. o7

Yup.. back in my EVE days... some of the best memories I have are the ones where I defied odds to achieve great success, and equally the ones where a chain of events boiled over into a marvellous and expensive failure.

Plenty of them for me in Elite too.

Yup.. back in my EVE days... some of the best memories I have are the ones where I defied odds to achieve great success, and equally the ones where a chain of events boiled over into a marvellous and expensive failure.

Plenty of them for me in Elite too.

This is what FD need to pay attention to- Arx is a nice idea but players will always come back for the right reasons when they do events that synergistically work across the game, Galnet etc and keep on doing them. Players respond to this stuff, and builds warm fuzzy memories that make you want to come back for more.

Just want to tack on the end regarding "controversial" things... 99% of the problem^ is that this sort of occurrence isn't the status-quo. You move someone's cheese the salt flows shortly after.

If FD were just a bit more courageous with this stuff and made it happen more frequently, even if procedurally generated, as long as it's interactive then the world is round and everyone's happy.

^ Where the "problem" is the fact such events are controversial at all, and not considered just the changing landscape of the game, which is my read on it.

This is the weirdest Amazon ad placement I ever saw, and that's why I'll never buy a "book" there. I also think that if the business model of a global corporation dictates how an author writes his books, the guy just lacks artistic integrity. You can also see that example in this way : you need to be the biatch in the biggest global corpo there is to get the cheese, because they're too big to not have cheese.

Also, people complain because its a direct shot of endorphins to the skull. It's good for their health. We should celebrate that instead of complaining about people complainig about stuff. And how should we celebrate that : by complaining as well.

Huhg, those sweet sweet morphins.

This is the weirdest Amazon ad placement I ever saw, and that's why I'll never buy a "book" there. I also think that if the business model of a global corporation dictates how an author writes his books, the guy just lacks artistic integrity. You can also see that example in this way : you need to be the biatch in the biggest global corpo there is to get the cheese, because they're too big to not have cheese.
Oh I didn't watch the whole video... I just clicked through bits and made sure it was hitting the salient points. And wasn't made in glorious potato-vision.

For the first hour even xeno corvettes were insta-killed on the pad so while planetary exploration Cmdrs were upset they didn't come for this, for a few minutes it was unplayable, by anyone.
I was there for that, and that was my serious complaint at the time (being insta-killed on the pad). My other complaint is that we never made it to our destination. Some explorers like me had sat on Gnosis for weeks to go 'where no explorer has gone before.' So we traded one cool event that explorers would have enjoyed for a bugged event designed for combat pilots. That was my complaint.

However, in hindsight, I was glad to be there for the experience. Even though I think Frontier screwed it up, at least they tried something new and different, and I don't want to discourage them from trying things like the 'Gnosis Incident' and the latest attack on an engineer. If anything, I want more stuff like this, not less.

Last edited:
I was there for that, and that was my serious complaint at the time (being insta-killed on the pad). My other complaint is that we never made it to our destination. Some explorers like me had sat on Gnosis for weeks to go 'where no explorer as gone before.' So we traded one cool event that explorers would have enjoyed for a bugged event designed for combat pilots. That was my complaint.

However, in hindsight, I was glad to be there for the experience. Even though I think Frontier screwed it up, at least they tried something new and different, and I don't want to discourage them from trying things like the 'Gnosis Incident' and the latest attack on an engineer. If anything, I want more stuff like this, not less.

Gnosis was Cannon's result of trying to shake things up. It made pretty clear FDev is not a gamemaster willing to improvise upon the players actions (even if they were told several months in advance).

I wanted a catastrophe. To gaze upon an eldritch horror in an alien system and be obliterated. It turned out to be an incident. And the biggest threat I faced during that experience was the gnosis itself, who acted like point defense for the scouts and put fines and bounty on me while I tried to shoot an invisible thargoid from the broken instance.

I ended up vaporized by the Gnosis turrets and teleported to the "nearest" detention center, closer to the bubble than the megaship.

And tbh, I'm glad they're focusing on fundamentally PvE stuff like this, broken or no, rather than silly RP-events like The Hunt/Salome. I can't find my old assessment of "The Hunt", but there's just too many issues with trying that given the game's multiplayer design.

EVE's done RP events before, but they work coz they've usually lasted for a couple days with RP actors covering the whole period, and unlike Elite, you go to that system, you're guaranteed to find the actor.

I wanted a catastrophe. To gaze upon an eldritch horror in an alien system and be obliterated.
I would have been totally cool with a catastrophe. There were rumors of a Thargoid attack, and I actually went on this "exploration" adventure in a combat-ready Keelback. I was half expected to log in to find my ship floating in a debris field that was the Gnosis, it being forever destroyed and to one day become a tourist destination.

I'd also be cool if the Thargoids targeted and destroyed all the engineers and hunted down every CMDR with engineered modules and destroyed us, leaving us in a game with default modules. Unfortunately too many people would rage quit over this. We already have people foaming at the mouth because they have to wait one week to go from G3 to G5 thrusters.

Top Bottom