Move the tick to 6 UTC

Ever since Odyssey, the Tick has been a mess. It seems the servers can't handle the processing required for all the new stations.

Thus we have the Tick happening and then not changing influence in-game for hours and hours.

This kills BGS work. BGS is what keeps many long-term players and basically all squadrons engaged in the game.

When it was happening at 8 UTC it was much better. It would happen overnight or morning for most of Europe and the Western Hemisphere. Then by the time you get on to play everything was updated.

6 UTC should be the Tick and make it exactly that if possible.

The tick has moved around for about as long as I can remember. Besides, if your BGS work is that time dependent, perhaps you're doing it wrong?

The tick has moved around for about as long as I can remember. Besides, if your BGS work is that time dependent, perhaps you're doing it wrong?

I know it has moved around but why? There is no point. It was fine when the tick cascaded through the Bubble immediately pre-Odyssey but not now.

Why would BGS work not be time dependent? Why keep grinding if you have hit the 75% for expansion or won 4 days for a war/election? What if you get your faction to match the next faction triggering a pending war/election so you should move to another target for the day? Currently you won't know for sometimes 9 hours right now.

I know it has moved around but why?
Personally, I think when FDev change something server side it occasionally resets a timer somewhere and that timing is outside their control. There's no sense to the times it happens if it's deliberate.

If it was in their control, you're right, there's no reason to not have it first thing in the morning (from a UK pov) which is why I suspect it isn't, at least without what they would probably deem excessive oversight.

I also don't think they particularly care, so long as it happens and all required actions complete.

No, the tick is fine for me, mind you I live in one of the most isolated places in the world so that's one person the tick works for at least!

Just check faction news at a station. It will display the tick sometimes hours upon hours before the ship's right panel will. Also if you're actually doing BGS work for a specific faction use the Squadron Allegiance Tab to see your faction. It also can update hours upon hours before the right panel does. If you're not in a squadron then make one and set the faction to the one you're supporting.

I know it has moved around but why?
Their aim seems to be that each tick lasts 24 hours.

So if there's some processing delay and it takes longer than that for whatever reason, the next one starts from whenever the previous one did manage to finish.

The alternative would be that if there's a processing delay the next tick only lasts for e.g. 21 hours - which in a situation where the tick time is being unstable would I think actually be worse.

The tick isn't (far from it with Odyssey) instantaneous, but creeps across the galaxy "like honey" (okay you kind of say that). Since Ody launched, many would merely settle for there being a single, well defined tick each day, at least closer to what there used to be. It's probably not a simple task though with all the new assets, and there are more pressing issues.

Top Bottom