My Coronation Ceremony...

Just attained the rank of King for the Empire.

Here's what I earned:

Wow! When I got the rank of "Mostly Harmless", I got an animated email.

King? Right.

First off, if you want to grind rank, here is the basic strategy (this isn't original material; it's fairly well-known):
  1. Go to Ngalinn system and pick up courier missions bound for Mainani.
    • Hickam Survey is the only station in Ngalinn system.
  2. Once at Mainani, pick up courier missions for Ngalinn.
    • Mies Van Der Rohe's Claim is the only station in Mainani system.
  3. At first, select Reputation over credits for missions to ramp up reward values quickly.
    • Once allied, mission values are beween 32k - 56k.
  4. Go back and forth between these two places running courier missions until you obtain the rank you wish.
Here are the things you want to know:
  1. You will obtain rank pretty quickly.
    • It took me about 4 hours to go from Outsider to Squire (100%). Expect one rank per 1 - 2 hours
  2. You will make a lot of credits, and it's not a bad rate per hour, either - although better rates are definitely out there.
    • In that same 4 hour period, I made about 35M credits
  3. Consider avoiding missions to Aitvas - they give more credits and also engineering mats, but don't seem to impact reputation as much (YMMV)
  4. Make sure your ship meets the following guidelines:
    • The ship needs to be able to land on S and M pads
    • The ship needs up to 72t of cargo space for Navy supply missions
    • The ship needs to be combat-ready. Some Navy missions are strike contracts
  5. You are out in the middle of nowhere.
    • Miles Van Der Rohe's Claim offers Refuel service, but no Repair service
    • Hickam Survey offers both Refuel and Repair services
    • Neither stations offer Restock services
    • The closest station that offers full services is Mobius Enterprise in Bayah system
  6. Avoid interdictions, which shouldn't be difficult since they're all PvE.
    • When I was in my Vulture, I would submit most of the time and fight.
    • Every ship was an Anaconda
    • My rank is Competent, and I fought everything from Competent through Deadly.
My ship was an Asp Explorer, although I brought a Vulture along for strike missions and to kill pirates when I was bored.

I don't know exactly how much time I spent, but here's what I gained:
  • Approximately 120M credits.
  • Imperial Courier (11.8M credit value)
  • Imperial Clipper (74.7M credit value)
  • Imperial rank of King
So, a little over 200M in credits, in all.

To Frontier Dev:

There are so many things I love about this game. However, there are some things that are profoundly disappointing.

Why would you create this type of grind and have absolutely no in-game content to reflect these achievements? I mean, we do get some ships unlocked, but if that's the only benefit, might as well just call the ranks "Rank 1, Rank 2, Rank 3, etc." instead of actual titles.

This is such a wonderful opportunity for immersion that you guys totally missed. Here are some suggestions I have which I believe would be improvements:
  1. Allow us to put rank decals on our ships
  2. Have stations and official pilots great us by rank or by the formal protocols: "Your Grace", etc.
  3. Make a big deal out of the email we get rather than just a one sentence Congratulations
  4. Exclusive diplomatic, courier, supply and combat missions which actually impact the game
  5. To get the rank after reaching 100%, the missions could be very story-intensive - and more than yet another courier message
I'm sure there are tons of ideas out there that would be better than these, but if you happen to look at these forums at all, please take this into consideration.

Fly safe, commanders! o7

snip
  1. Make sure your ship meets the following guidelines:
snip*

No, not really, just close the mission board an re-open it and you usually get a different rank up mission ;)

Was there a point in going past Duke?
After all, you already got the Cutter at that point.

That's a perfect summary of my main point: What is the point of doing this if there is no reward of any kind?

No, not really, just close the mission board an re-open it and you usually get a different rank up mission ;)

Sure wish I had known that! LOL

That also takes away the need for the 72t cargo capacity... just close and reopen the board until a courier mission comes up.

Here's what I earned:

View attachment 135530

King? Right.

First off, if you want to grind rank, here is the basic strategy (this isn't original material; it's fairly well-known):
  3. At first, select Reputation over credits for missions to ramp up reward values quickly.
  4. Go back and forth between these two places running courier missions until you obtain the rank you wish.
    • It took me about 4 hours to go from Outsider to Squire (100%). Expect one rank per 1 - 2 hours
  2. You will make a lot of credits, and it's not a bad rate per hour, either - although better rates are definitely out there.
  3. Consider avoiding missions to Aitvas - they give more credits and also engineering mats, but don't seem to impact reputation as much (YMMV)
    • The closest station that offers full services is Mobius Enterprise in Bayah system
My ship was an Asp Explorer, although I brought a Vulture along for strike missions and to kill pirates when I was bored.

• Imperial rank of King
You make it seem so exciting:sleep:

Joking aside, "King" may be a placeholder for something to come. What if Base Building really is a thing? Might we need to earn rank to build bases? King of a base?

Too many unknowns at present, of course.

The Replicated Man

T
You make it seem so exciting:sleep:

Joking aside, "King" may be a placeholder for something to come. What if Base Building really is a thing? Might we need to earn rank to build bases? King of a base?

Too many unknowns at present, of course.
King of my very own castle.

Elite Dangerous: Castle Building Simulator 2022

Here's what I earned:

View attachment 135530

King? Right.

• Imperial rank of King

To Frontier Dev:

There are so many things I love about this game. However, there are some things that are profoundly disappointing.

Why would you create this type of grind and have absolutely no in-game content to reflect these achievements? I mean, we do get some ships unlocked, but if that's the only benefit, might as well just call the ranks "Rank 1, Rank 2, Rank 3, etc." instead of actual titles.

This is such a wonderful opportunity for immersion that you guys totally missed. Here are some suggestions I have which I believe would be improvements:
  1. Allow us to put rank decals on our ships
  2. Have stations and official pilots great us by rank or by the formal protocols: "Your Grace", etc.
  3. Make a big deal out of the email we get rather than just a one sentence Congratulations
  4. Exclusive diplomatic, courier, supply and combat missions which actually impact the game
  5. To get the rank after reaching 100%, the missions could be very story-intensive - and more than yet another courier message
I'm sure there are tons of ideas out there that would be better than these, but if you happen to look at these forums at all, please take this into consideration.

Fly safe, commanders! o7
I'm doing this exact loop. I started 2 days ago. I'm already at squire took 2 hours. 8m credits earned.. not sure how you got 35m.. but yes this is an easy grind. Stations are very close under 1000ls.. hickham survey I found had the most missions at anyone time. Hoping to get a couple of hours looping tonight.. thanks for sharing.. saves me from doing it o7

That's a perfect summary of my main point: What is the point of doing this if there is no reward of any kind?

Sure wish I had known that! LOL

That also takes away the need for the 72t cargo capacity... just close and reopen the board until a courier mission comes up.
I didn't get any rank up from reopening the board.. did it over and over to fill up my mission stack o7

Just as disappointing for me is what happens next - You're King and therefore officially retired from anything related to the Imperial navy. Perhaps you can RP some BGS work.

Just a note regarding ranks:
Those are honorary titles. Like, f.ex Michel Ney, one of Napoleon Marshals, was Duke of Elchingen and Prince of Moscow. Those were both names of battles he fought in - he wasn't ruling Moscow, you know (the name was actually after Moscow river, near Borodino, not the city).

You should also remember that players are auxiliaries - not part of military structure.

What do you mean, no in-game content?! You've played the game for hours, didn't you? Isn't that in-game content?

KIDDING. I'd love to have something to do with the ranks.

Those are honorary titles. Like, f.ex Michel Ney, one of Napoleon Marshals, was Duke of Elchingen and Prince of Moscow. Those were both names of battles he fought in - he wasn't ruling Moscow, you know (the name was actually after Moscow river, near Borodino, not the city).

You should also remember that players are auxiliaries - not part of military structure.
The OPs view is probably more to do with the time and effort that's gone into reaching the top rank being rewarded with two lines of text. I can't think of many games where that's your sole 'reward'. Even a materials or credits bonus might have been nice.

Something else for the 2020 update perhaps.

I get that, and I know we're not "King of the Empire", or whatever. However, as Deejayeff145 points out, obtaining the top of the rank structure is just anti-climactic.

Top Bottom