My Experimental Dinosaur Enclosure Tests

20200731125338_1.jpg

This is my experimental enclosure on Isla Nublar, a map I've had for way over a year and a half on my main saved game on the main Jurassic World Evolution campaign.
This is where I do all of my "experiments" with dinosaur enclosure stuff, and is my hub of my main save, the game where I plan to create my dream parks in the main campaign. In fact, this is where most of my pictures used in some of my idea posts here on the JWE forums are from. However, due to this game's status as a post-launch developing game, I do not plan to do my dream parks on the Five Deaths just yet. Why? Because, what if something cool or amazing comes up into the game and I have no space for it? Rather than "fixing" around my parks, I decided to wait until it's all over and start off anew entirely, that way I can add anything I would desire without worry of working around my existing parks. So, for now, for months on end, I have planned to unlock everything available in the campaign and perform "experiments" here on this map layout I made above to get ideas on what to make and have per island.

Now, most of these "experiments" are just figuring out what species and how many I can have on any of the current seven main campaign maps. For example: How many species and individuals of X and Y dinosaurs can I have together in one enclosure for Isla Muerta in normal gameplay? Or what kind of "theme" of dinosaurs do I want for Isla Tacano? All of that is done here on this map on this very save, instead of anywhere else, like Sandbox mode.

But, what I call the best and successful "experiments" are enclosures where I try to push the boundaries beyond what one normal player would normally think of is "acceptable" by normal gameplay standards. These normal standards are like, what can you mix in one enclosure without risking them killing each other, or how many can you add in one enclosure before it becomes too much for a certain species? That is something I've been trying to do for my future dream parks in the main campaign.

In my experimental exhibit tests, I've been trying to find ways to counteract those issues by using the genes, goats, and environmental layouts to my advantage, inspired by Dr. Kajula Dua's Science division mission on Isla Sorna. As such, I will be posting a few of the tests that I've been working on the very map above right here on this thread to show off what you can do in this game by normal gameplay terms without restricting yourselves to what one would be considered "normal gameplay".

Last edited:
1.) T.Rex and Trike coexistence test
20200731135759_1.jpg
20200731145900_1.jpg

Left: Air view of the enclosure. Right: Map view of the enclosure​

In this experiment, I have made an open field type enclosure that houses three armored herbivores and a single large carnivore to live together. For the herbivores, this map contains 8 Torosaurus, 3 Triceratops, and 1 Ankylosaurs. This experiment is to simulate an open prairie and lake side of the Hell Creek Formation with only armored herbivores and one carnivore. The trikes are all mostly light and pale while the anky is mostly black just so it stands out a bit without making it too colorful.
20200731135814_1.jpg

(The herbivores)​
And the one and only carnivore, which is a "Large" category category type is a single Tyrannosaurus rex, LIVING in the same enclosure as the herbivores!
20200801005154_1.jpg

(The T.Rex)
Here, this is an enclosure where all dinosaurs can coexist without the worry of malnutrition or being, for the most part, killed by each other. HOW could I have POSSIBLY achieved this idea? The answer: the environmental layout and, most of all, the goats. That's right. The goats!
20200801004845_1.jpg
Goats are dinosaur entities at their own right, albeit with such unique perks. When huntable dino entities are around, even within the presence of any type of carnivore feeder, carnivores would typically go for those dino entities over the feeders. SO because of this, I decided to use these fearless furies to my advantage.
By having enough goat entities around, it will decrease the chance of the rex going after the armored herbivores and having it going for the goats in favor instead.
20200801010854_1.jpg
Now, there's a unique catch as to how the hunting and fighting mechanics work. If we review my test enclosure, it virtually has no trees from the landscaping tools, and is virtually wide open with 90% or so of the trees in side of it being scenery object trees, which are the redwoods.
20200801010838_1.jpg

(The habitat for this experiment is mostly wide open, free of too many structure entities or thick terrain painted on trees.)
Dinosaurs will ONLY attack and hunt each other if there is enough appropriate open space available. If there is no available open space available for them to do so, because they are being obstructed by structure entities (which includes scenery objects) or thick forest tree groves painted on the surface by landscaping tools, they won't do it.
Think about it: If this enclosure had a lot of painted on forest tree groves in it, and the goats are in those woods, but an armored herbivore isn't and in an open space where both it and the rex can fight each other, you increase the risk of that happening.

I've even tried to use stat gene modifications to add a balance to how much a dino attacks and damages each other, but I haven't found the solution to that part yet. I had my rex attack the ankylosaurus that is heavily modified, while the rex isn't, other than its skin choice. And guess what, my anky finished off my mostly unmodified rex in just one fighting season. So, I'm still trying to find a good enough balanced gene set for mixed dinos that can fight each other not risk the chance of either of them finishing each other in one round.

But, of course, keep in mind that while you do this, there may always be a chance the large carnivore may choose to attack an armored herbivore, probably because the goat entities any not go into proper position in time and the one that is is the herbivore because of a chance right after loading a save, or probably because of random chance by playing the game. So, it isn't exactly 100% PERFECT per say, but it is still something than nothing, and that something which is extremely efficient for the idea of keeping armored herbivores and large carnivores together in wide open spaces like this by normal means.

And that concludes this experiment of mine that you can try out yourself. Hope you all enjoyed this post, and maybe get an idea of what you can do for your own parks, and I'll see you again with another.😁

This sounds like a lot of fun!

Something I think you might find helpful is the resilience gene. I tested out two iguanodons, one with maximum resilience genes and the other on default stats. To test it out, I (unfortunately) had to make them starve until they have reached 50% health, to which I introduce to them a feeder and have them regain their health.

With the resilience gene, the dinosaurs regain their health a lot faster. The time it would take for an iguanodon to go from 50% health to 61% health is all that the genetically modified iguanodon needs to regain to 100% health!

I think this could be useful for your armored herbivores. This is so that they could take some attack with their defensive genes, but regain enough health as time passes by to survive the next attack. That way, the dinosaurs could survive T-rex attacks, and the T-rex won't have to worry about getting killed. I think it could help for a balanced ecosystem. I can't wait to see what other experiments you could make! 👍

2) Hell Creek Formation Forest Ecosystem Test
20200802212314_1.jpg
20200802212325_1.jpg

In this experiment, I attempted another Hell Creek Formation theme type of enclosure. But, unlike how my first test was to make it like an open plain with a large lake just so my ceratopsian herd can have lots of room to roam around, this one attempts to use the same nature resources to create a heavily dense redwood forest environment with a river running through it.

20200803010649_1.jpg

(An example shot of the redwood forest enclosure.)
In it, I have 15 dinosaurs housed together. They consist of 3 Edmontosaurus, 2 Struthiomimus, 2 Stygimoloch, 3 Pachycephalosaurus, 2 Triceratops, 2 Ankylosaurus, and 1 Tyrannosaurus rex, the only carnivore mixed with the bunch. The way how I changed their most of their colors colors is to make them look and feel like they're blending within a natural environment.
For instance: the Struthis are either green or light brown, the Pachys are made either red or tan, the trikes are either red or orange, and my T.Rex is green from the 1997 A skin so that it could "blend in" with its environment, especially if it sleeps within the flower bushes I've laid out in the pen. The ankylosaurs are made to be blue-ishfrom the 2001 skins just so that there is a color variety in my housed dinos. As for my edmontosaurs, only one of them follows the same league as the ankys by having the Rainforest gene applied to it, while the other two keep their null genes for good reason. The other two edmontosaurus are just place holders for the Taiga gene skinned edmontos which you can unlock by completing challenge mode on Isla Matanceros, which I haven't yet. Both Rainforest and Taiga skins for the edmontos give the dinosaur red colored heads, which is something I want for this enclosure, while my others that do have them in my other parks will have blue or blue-ish heads. So, until I get the Taiga skin for the edmontosaurus, the null gene edmontos will take their place.
It is worth noting that both my Hell Creek lakeside plain and, in this case, my Hell Creek Forest ideas are both planned for a future dream park on Isla Sorna in the campaign. Particularly, the large segment to the right side from the arrival point when one walks out, just so it fits what Dr. Dua wants in her mission's focus and theme there. Most of my experimental exhibit ideas that I will be posting here will be for that island, FYI.
20200802212701_1.jpg
20200802215613_1.jpg
20200803005750_1.jpg
20200802220645_1.jpg
20200803011000_1.jpg

Here, two aspects aspects are being played out:
1. Carnivores living with herbivores that one or the other can kill.
2. More individuals than what two implemented species could handle at once in the same enclosure.

Dinosaurs can ONLY hunt and fight each other if there is enough appropriate space available, especially in regards to the different sizes of the dinosaurs. Here, I have only one carnivore, and it's a "Large" category type, which is the T.Rex. It requires a specific large gap that isn't obstructed to perform such acts, such as by forest painted surfaces from landscaping tools or structure entities.

In this case, the grand majority of the structures here, are the redwoods with occasional rocks, being placed closely together in random places, to cut off any potential hunting paths the rex could use when "hunting" any of my most vulnerable dinos. Which means, you don't have to use goats to keep your carnivores occupied like my previous test. Instead, you can just cut off all of their hunting paths, and just place down your typical meat dispensers to feed them.
20200802215018_1.jpg

(With so much of its potential hunting paths and fighting grounds cut off, the rex can live with the herbivores without killing them, and can be kept fed with the standard meat feeder instead of goats, because where is it going to hunt them?)
But, I should say the test isn't perfect, because the river has such wide open spaces that, even though I have not had an incident for a GREAT long period of time, I did have to consider the river being a potential hunting ground after loosing a pachy in the process in one spot that I had to "block off" with a rock formation. Plus, the hatchery's open space (where you can't place any structures on) is a vulnerable spot as I did loose a stygy and an anky in most recent times.
20200802215659_1.jpg
HOWEVER, the test still proves it is still super effective if you wanted to ever decrease the risk of loosing dinos by another.

The other thing that's happening here is the Population System. My population modified ankys can have up to 13 dinos maximum, and my social modified stygys can have up to 14 dinos maximum. In this enclosure, there are 15 dinosaurs at once. So, how could you keep them happy without worrying about them feeling overcrowded? The answer, and this is something I've totally forgot to mention when trying to say how to prevent my herbivores in my previous test above from being malnutritioned:

SPACE.

20200802212325_1.jpg
Looking back at the map view, it's a fairly good sized enclosure. And here's a catch, dinosaur population is not about how many dinos are in an enclosure at once, it is about how many individuals are very close together.
By having a large enough space, the dinos can wonder about without really any population problems, and thanks to my T.Rex, she can scare the plant eaters to different spots in the exhibit to continuously disperse them (herbivores that are vulnerable to certain carnivores, except the large sauropods with the Indominus rex, will always panic and run away from them). And, to keep the herbivores nutruitioned, I have enough food and water sources in all sides of the large sized pen, just like how you would do the same when housing many small and large carnivores at once.
With my previous test above, I simply had a large water source with plant feeders on one side of the pen so that the herbivores can roam at mostly one side while my rex can roam everywhere.

That's about it for this successful experiment, and more to be coming soon!😁

(May I even just say that, when I look at this exhibit through capture mode on pause, I feel like I'm looking at a Cretaceous diorama from a Natural History Museum!? Lol!)

Last edited:

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
This is really interesting stuff, gabeluna27! I'm excited to see more of these experiments :D You've brought up a lot of things that I never really considered when I've been playing JWE.

3) African Carnivore Swamp test
20200731143814_1.jpg
20200731144740_1.jpg

Left: Air view of the enclosure. Right: Map View of the enclosure​

This time, I've made a swamp-like exhibit that houses only large carnivores. 3 species to be precise. This is also one of my most favorite successful experiments I've ever accomplished.

It contains 2 Spinosaurus, 4 Carcharodontosaurus, and 1 Suchomimus. Like my previous two tests above, it's a planned enclosure for Isla Sorna, taking up at least a quarter or so of the largest section behind the island's mountain, to keep the inspiration of Dua's mission. It's to simulate the North African swamps during the Cretaceous, using only multiple "Large Carnivores" and no herbivores.
20200731144713_1.jpg

ALL large carnivores by default must be kept segregated from each other, or else they will end up fighting each other. Regardless of the species, every large carnivore species will be able to initiate a fight against each other, so it's logical that, if you play the game by default, you would certainly would want to keep them in separated enclosures.

Unless...

Unless you can figure out how to prevent them from doing so by using structures and forest landscaping to your advantage!
Remember, dinosaurs will ONLY hunt and fight other dinosaurs if there is enough appropriate space for them to perform such acts. They will NEVER fight or hunt in or close to thick forest tree painted surfaces (the point to where you can't move your camera into the trees). They must do them in open spaces. So, how do you do that when you can't use forest tress? The solution, use structure entities to block off any potential grounds that would be used for hunting and fighting.
In this case, because it's only large carnivores, the only thing I had to worry about was them fighting one another.

So, what I did here was I placed several thick forest tree spots and covered much of the open spaces with scenery trees and rocks.

20200731143847_1.jpg
20200731144508_1.jpg
20200803145932_1.jpg

(Different perspectives of the enclosure to show how much coverage of forest and scenery objects I "blocked off" to prevent fights.)
To ensure everything was good by normal gameplay standards in regards to habitat, as I realized my original two Spinosauruses couldn't handle so much forest painted surfaces, I've applied forest adaption genes to my newer Spinosauruses and my Suchomimus. As for my Carchas, with a specific social gene applied, they can have up to 4 individuals at once rather than just 2 maximum. (Full disclosure, none of my Carchas here have the gene applied, so I used Sandbox settings.)
I've also added in a Ranger Station beside my Hammond Creation Lab to see if a ranger jeep can traverse through my "maze" to reach any of my placed feeders, which they can.

I've also made an open space on the backside of the exhibit so that my predators can hunt down goats.
20200731143744_1.jpg
There may be so much space there, but large carnivores need more space than that to perform fights as they need enough to circle around when they need to as well as backing up when they get hit, and I have NOT EVER had an incident happen there, making it safe to say that the space here does not risk any fights. I also didn't want to use goats to prevent fights because it would make the spinosaurs go for the fish feeders less often, as having them go for those feeders is something I want for my authentic environment I plan to make on Isla Sorna, as I plan that island to be like a natural paleo environment kind of attraction theme.

The ONLY open space that is prone to fights is next to the lake side of the enclosure that I left open on purpose, just so there is a fair enough challenge to look after while on Sorna besides storms and diseases.
20200731145653_1.jpg
20200731145709_1.jpg

(At the time of making this experiment, I still had yet to find a right balance through gene modifications without loosing any dinosaur.)
However, it still proves that, if really wanted, you can keep most, if not all, of your "Large Carnivore" species in one enclosure without risking any fights by simply doing what I have demonstrated in this experiment: Block off any potential fighting grounds so that the dinosaurs would not ever fight anything at all!

And all this ends this experiment showcase. Hope all of these give out some more ideas of what you can potentially do in games where you play by the normal standards and not just in Sandbox mode. 😁

Last edited:
4) Dinosaur Park Herbivore Lakeside Test
20200810021341_1.jpg
20200810021405_1.jpg

In this test, I've enlarged my test enclosure to accommodate a rather ambitious idea project I have in mind for my dream park on Isla Tacano this time, and is by far the most challenging experiment I've ever conducted. Whereas my previous experiments worked on herbivore and carnivore coexistence and multiple large carnivore species coexistence, this one is an all herbivore experiment.

The enclosure contains 9 Parasaurolophus, 6 Corythosaurus, 2 Euoplocephalus, 3 Chasmosaurus, 5 Styracosaurus, and 6 Struthiomimus. Because this ambitious idea is for Isla Tacano, one of my Parasaurolophus has the Savannah cosmetic gene applied to simulate the variant usage from that island's Entertainment mission, where Issac requies you to breed a Savannah skin Para to accomplish his mission.

20200810024415_1.jpg
20200810024508_1.jpg
20200810025512_1.jpg
20200810025543_1.jpg

What this test is trying to accomplish is having a large number of dinosaur individuals, over their population satisfactions if all together, in the same one exhibit for my dream park on the lowermost section of Tacano, where I've first discovered how it worked so well on my "progression park" right there when I had multiple hadrosaurs with some Pentaceratops all together.

To help me achieve this goal, I've added in a few extra features:

1. I've expanded my test enclosure's size so that it can give my dinosaurs more space to spread out.
2. I've replaced my original fencing with the electrified concrete fencing to decrease the chance of any potential break outs by angry dinosaurs.
3. I've added a Ranger Station beside my Hammond Creation Lab for "extra and more stealthy arms".
4. I've added a Jurassic Tour to stimulate the usage of the attraction going through the exhibit, which is also planned for this ambitious project for my dream Tacano park. Only, whereas it's planned to go through other exhibits, it is only going through the one I have here.

Here's the secret behind dinosaur population and social group: they are not, I repeat, are not actually about how many are in a single enclosure, regardless of size. They are, instead, about how many individuals are close together at any given time. In matter of fact, this is how the already existing dinosaurs in new campaign maps, while technically in reach of each other, don't count every one of them as a big population or social group all together unless you bring them closer.

The goal of this test is to have plenty of dinosaurs in one enclosure, by using a multitude of herbivore species to make a Dinosaur Park Formation themed exhibit, and since it is planned for Tacano, it won't have any carnivores as my Sorna ideas. The technique used here is SPACE, making it large enough to accommodate all of them as they wonder around the habitat.

The Struthiomimuses wonder about the most, so they can spread quickly wherever they wish. The hadrosaurs were easy as, even if they spread out and cause some overpopulation or loneliness on themselves, they can spread easily as they can group together even without the alpha system, and none of the Medium or Small herbivores present here get angry so fast. The only problems I had to keep an eye on were my armored herbivores. The Chasmosaurs, Styracosaurs, and Euoplocephalus have the lowest population thresholds in comparison to the other dinosaurs. As a result, I've upgraded them to have a higher population threshold via Dr. Wu's DLC social genes.

The Styracosaurus weren't a major problem in this test as they have a fair enough large population threshold, nor were my Euoplos as the latter move so slowly, but I would still keep an eye on them in case they ever separate themselves because their minimum social group is 2. In the final version of my test, however, it's them that I had to keep an eye on as my Struthies can stay in a single spot for a long period of time before moving out and their comfort danger zone is higher than the ceratopsians, but their anger didn't last for even two minutes in the end. During the making of this enclosure, the Chasmosauruses were what I've had to really keep a good eye on.

20200810021859_1.jpg

(A shot of a lone Chasmosaurus too close to my other dinosaurs and too far from its two friends at the same time while the exhibit layout was still a work in progress.)
I had an instance where one of my Chasmos wondered off on their own to reach another feeder on their sights. Chasmosaurs have a fairly low population threshold, and since it was too slow and busying itself with "Roaming" as herbivores can do so often, they got angry so fast that they started to break out of my fences, the other reason why I ended up replacing the rest of my bared fencing with the electrified concrete. But, of course, the measure doesn't last forever when attacked multiple times.

Regardless, I knew something like this would happen, so I used my ACU Chopper and Ranger Team to deal with them to make sure they calm down eventually after relocating them where it isn't densely populated. And when they did, everything was back in control.

To be fair, however, I was looking for a more but fairly balanced challenge for my dream Tacano park as on that island, you won't have to worry about storms but solely on diseases and dinosaur deaths from old age that may affect their social or population needs. Lucky for me, this test is successful in that all dinosaurs can be kept in the blue "safe" zone of the dinosaur comfort meter.

(FYI, dinosaurs under the red "danger" zone of habitat, population, and social won't affect a dinosaur's welfare rating. BUT, the red "danger" zone of comfort, food, water, and health can.)

Because it's just herbivores, there are no carnivores to scare them into different directions as my Hell Creek Ecosystem test, but it doesn't mean they are fearless by auto standards. Yes, you could use a vehicle to manualy bring them close to the dinosaurs to spook them, as I did when I realized one of my Euoplos was moving to far from its partner, but there are two automatic ways on how they can get scared.
20200810030505_1.jpg
20200810030633_1.jpg

Left: The Jurassic Tour trucks can honk at dinosaurs. Right: Fighting dinosaurs around others.
The Jurassic Tour was added not just to see it pass through the exhibit, but to also see how it can work when dinosaurs block their paths. The trucks can actually honk at blocking dinosaurs at any given time and reason, making nearby dinosaurs flee and scatter. Armored herbivores can fight other dinosaurs, even each other non-violently. Fights in general can spook close by dinosaurs. A panicking dinosaur will always scatter in random directions. For a long period of time, neither have made it stressful to where they would scatter in unwanted directions.

The final layout of the enclosure is this, if we take a look back:
20200810021405_1.jpg
In the center is a large lake with branching streams to decrease the chance of dinos going too close to each other when thirsty. On both sides of the direction of the streams, on all four corners of the habitat, are four large herbivore feeders that constantly dispense food every three minutes per dispense, considering the fact that so many herbivores can strip a feeder clean at any given time. Herbivores will typically congregate more around close feeders and water sources. And, in the end, it was only the two Euoplocephaluses I really had to keep an eye on.

What this experiment proves is that you can keep a multitude of herbivores all together beyond a species' population threshold in a large enclosure if done right for your preferences. But here, I did it with risk just so there is a balanced extra challenge to face while on Tacano in the main campaign for my dream parks. And that concludes this experiment I've done here.😁

Last edited:

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
In the center is a large lake with branching streams to decrease the chance of dinos going too close to each other when thirsty. On both sides of the direction of the streams, on all four corners of the habitat, are four large herbivore feeders that constantly dispense food every three minutes per dispense, considering the fact that so many herbivores can strip a feeder clean at any given time.

How often did you have to refill the feeders? Or did you use Infinite Feeders?

How often did you have to refill the feeders? Or did you use Infinite Feeders?
I had Infinite Feeders on, because I didn't need to worry about that too much because of what feeder type I used, which was the Ext. Ground Herbivore Feeder, only because that type lasts much longer than the one you start off with.

A regular ground herbivore feeder can dispense 10 times before emptying and, with 3 minutes on, a full feeder can last for about 30 minutes without refilling.

With the "Extra" variant of the ground feeder, it can do 25 servings. On 3 minutes per dispense, a full feeder of that type can last for about 75 minutes without refilling.

Last edited:

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
A regular ground herbivore feeder can dispense 10 times before emptying and, with 3 minutes on, a full feeder can last for about 30 minutes without refilling.
I was about to suggest that it might not be the most economical solution, but if that's what you're going for, why play Sandbox at all, y'know?

I'm still loving these experiments, by the way, and would love to see more.

5) Morrison Formation Ecosystem Test
20201022134049_1.jpg
20201022160623_1.jpg

Left: Air view of the enclosure. Right: Map View of the enclosure​

Today, I present to you all what is by far the most ambitious and most toughest experiments and ideas I have ever done in the game! A wide open enclosure to recreate the Late Jurassic Period, the Morrison Formation in particular, where herbivores and carnivores that can kill each other and where dozens of dinosaurs beyond proper population requirements all live in the same enclosure.

It's a planned "mega-sized" exhibit idea planned for a potential dream park on Isla Sorna in the main campaign, just like a few of my other tests above, and for the largest section of that island. This test consists of several sauropods, stegosaurs, small herbivores, and two large carnivore species. They are 6 Stegosaurus, 6 Dryosaurus, 8 Diplodocus, 2 Apatosaurus, 4 Camarasaurus, 5 Brachiosaurus, 1 Ceratosaurus, 1 Allosaurus, and 3 Kentrosaurus (the only non-Morrison dinosaur in the enclosure, to reference Sorna's Science mission), all adding up to a total of 36 dinosaurs in one enclosure!
20201022213843_1.jpg
20201022213920_1.jpg
20201022214007_1.jpg

20201022214614_1.jpg
20201022215421_1.jpg

The techniques used for this test are similar to some of the ones above: enclosure space, landscape design, feeder placement, goats, social gene editing, and carnivore scaring. In addition to those, I also have another unique way of keeping this enclosure as it is, which I will talk about later below. Although, I must quickly disclose to you all that this is not a perfected construction of what I have in mind in regards to making it work with the carnivores and the stegosaurs all together.

First things first is I tried to make the enclosure shaped as what I would look like on the largest section of Sorna, then I populated it with dinosaurs. Lots of dinosaurs beyond their respective population satisfactions. The two stegosaurs and Allosaurus aren't as tolerant to larger groups, so I ended up bosting their population level higher to accommodate larger crowds a bit easier. I even made the Stegosaurus and Apatosaurus social needs lower so that I won't have to deal so much with very "social needy" dinos for this test.

At the same time, I constructed the habitat layout. Remember, Population and Social needs don't necessarily mean how many individuals are in a single enclosure, but rather about how many individuals are in close reach of each other. So, to keep the groups of dinosaurs spread out, without (or at least lowering) risking their comfort bar of reaching the danger (red) zone, I made the enclosure bigger, and then I created a river that crosses the entirety of the habitat, so that the dinos don't have to go to one source of water all together when thirsty. Next, I did the feeder placement. To keep my hungry herbivores spread out I placed three tall herbivore feeders (one on the left side, one in the middle, and one on the right side) and two ground herbivore feeders (one to the left side and one to the right side). The trick with the herbivore feeders is to decide how often they should disperse, as the more dinos feed off them, the faster the shrubs themselves will deplete, and also to make the hungry dinos (particularly my sauropods) to move around the enclosure a bit more without having to keep them in certain location all of the time.

At one point, I had a Camarasaurus break out because it was to far from any of its buddies. Admittedly, because they weren't modified (with the exception of two using the Jungle Cosmetic), I should've used the solitary gene to reduce their social needs, but I'm being lazy on that part.

(A look back at my map layout.)
20201022160623_1.jpg

Now for the carnivores. I only have two individuals, one for two unique species each: Allosaurus and Ceratosaurus. Both are classifed as "Large Carnivores", and all large carnivores can't scare any sauropods (except the Nigersaurus), but they can still scare small and armored herbivores, which is what this experiment has both of, which actually contributes to factor of the dinosaurs spreading out in various locations of the exhibit.

These dinosaurs can also kill each other, the stegosaurs, and the dryosaurs. Since this experiment has lots of open space in it, this give them plenty of oportunity to do these things. So, what did I do to make this work? The first things first is I placed down 2 live bait feeders to dispense a fair amount of goats in the habitat. Carnivores in general are more likely to kill something that they can take down in one go, as oppose to the very few they can face off first, including each other.

20201022214718_1.jpg

Of course, it isn't perfect and the risk of them fighting is still existent. Lucky for me, I have edited their stat genes for them to survive face offs against one another. I saw the two predators fight each other once, and thankfully, none of them died thanks to my modifications.

What I did have problems with though, thanks to these risks, are them fighting my two stegosaurs: the Stegosauruses and Kentrosauruses. For the Stegosauruses, only edited their social genes, forgetting about their stat genes. As for my Kentros, I did modify their stat genes along with their social genes, but even that didn't work against the carnivores.
20201022215656_1.jpg
I'm still not sure if a -# viability modified dinosaur can even be a thing in normal gameplay, and the problem with the carnivores is, by default, they have more attack points than the stegos, and the more attack points a dinosaur has, the more it will strike out first and the more damage they will inflict per strike. Even if I did upgrade my Stegosauruses stat and social genes all together, I'm not sure what would be a good balance so that they can be successfully hatched. So, that part alone is still a work in progress.

However, there is one dinosaur that I didn't really mind getting killed at all: the Dryosaurs.
20201022220550_1.jpg
NOW, the goat trick doesn't really protect them a lot, and for good reason too. The goats themselves are "dinosaur entities" at their own right, and the same kind that can be instantly killed by "hunting" status meat-eaters. So, you can probably guess how that doesn't mix very will with dinos like them. However, the goats do give the carnivores a choice as I had a good amount of them constantly run around the enclosure at once, so the chances of loosing a lot of Dryos is not as high as you would think.

To make things better, Dryosaurus is a very easy animal you can get. It's very easy to keep, plus it's a very cheep and fast dinosaur to hatch, taking at least less than 30 seconds with the lvl 4 incubation speed booster applied to all of the hatchery's three slots. SO, if I ever loose a dryo, I can just hatch a new one, and release one in a quick pace. Lastly, dryo carcasses don't last very long after death due to how small they are. They can despawn after at least less than 2 or 3 minutes, and a hungry large carnivore can finish it away in one feeding session. The smaller the dead dino, the faster it will disappear in both time and meat resources. Besides, it can also help give my two carnivores some extra rating points via combat infamy.

The unique technique I have for this experiment is this: I plan to have only 1 Hammond Creation Lab on Isla Sorna for the sake of space usage for other stuff on that map. So, because I know I will risk loosing dinos in this hypothetical idea for that park, I must have a fast resupplying source for placing more in. But, I don't want my carnivores risking killing any of my other dinos I make for their respective exhibits, nor do I want to have to have them apply to the population total to what I have in the habitat already. Hence is why I made a "caged" area around the hatchery's exit, with gates in all directions so that I can try to spread out the ones for the habitat manually.

As imperfect as it may be with the carnivores and stegosaurs attacking together, this ambitious and risky experiment I consider an astounding well made success in its own right! Although, since this will be for Isla Sorna, I do have to consider the disease and storm risk that island will throw out at me. When I do make my dream park there with this idea, I shall wait and see how that goes, but I am confident I can do this!😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom