My key bindings reset every time I enter the controls tab...

My key bindings reset every time I open the control section in the settings, close the game or do anything related with the controls. This has become more of a pain in the a** since the addition of the new HUD modes and the Night Vision as I continuously have to set them again...

Do you use more than one Controler (for example HOTAS and XBox Controller)?
In that case make sure that both are connected to the Computer and tured on before you enter the the (Binding-)Settings.

Had this problem awhile back, turns out if you make a backup of your controller configuration file and leave it in the same folder as the original, it confuses ED. Make sure any backups you make are moved out of that folder.

keybindings can reset if you visit the control section without one of your usual devices used to play the game ie hotas , xbox pad etc not plugged in or at that present moment is undetected by windows as it thinks your just using keyboard and mouse it simply rewrites your binds for you (fantastic how very intuitive)
also game patches can put a spanner in the works...…………….
(A poorly written part of the software that they just don't know how to fix it seems, thankfully there are simple ways around this)
method one don't unplug controllers ever( not very practical) ie never start the game without all game control devices plugged in and I mean all of them vr inc
that still wont protect your current set binds from a patch
or method two rename your bind file which should be patch proof (ensure the game is not running when changing files/filenames as unwanted duplicates may result)

to rename your bind file (CLOSE DOWN THE GAME)
go here
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
(you may need to tick show hidden files and folders in control panel folder options too see these files)
STEP 1
rename your custom 3.0 binds file for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL.3.0.binds
STEP 2
open the file(using notepad) and edit line 2 between the speechmarks like this
<Root PresetName="STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">
and save the file keeping the .binds filetype

STEP 3
now open the start preset file(notepad) and rename that the same so it just reads for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL
and then save keeping the StartPreset.start filetype

STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL will now show up in the controls section preset menu in the game for eg
vsP5ODW.png

once done get rid of any old binds like custom 2.0 so you only have one bind file and one preset.start file in the bindings folder (that will prevent the game from reading from one file and writing to another causing binds not to save)
I didn't want to get all technical on ya but SWirly thing Alert
you can actually create multiple binds by having more then one correctly renamed bind file for eg STRONTIUNM DOG COMBAT,EXPLORER,MINER which can be quickly swapped out if you copy and rename and set variations etc to preference as Para Handy rightly pointed out...……..
which will also show in your in game preset pull down menu (shown above)
then just backup the whole bindings folder to someplace safe outta the way ie NOT IN the frontier folders(after all your control binds are tested and saved in game)
if your controls get weird & or just lost for any reason just copy and paste/replace the folder back in ensuring that your control devices are all plugged in and recognised by windows first
N.B if you so wish you can delete the entire bindings folder at any time where upon game reboot a brand new default one will be re generated if you wish to start from scratch (controls only and not recommended unless you like setting up all the controls from the beginning)

Last edited:
keybindings can reset if you visit the control section without one of your usual devices used to play the game ie hotas , xbox pad etc not plugged in or at that present moment is undetected by windows as it thinks your just using keyboard and mouse it simply rewrites your binds for you (fantastic how very intuitive)
also game patches can put a spanner in the works...…………….
(A poorly written part of the software that they just don't know how to fix it seems, thankfully there are simple ways around this)
method one don't unplug controllers ever( not very practical) ie never start the game without all game control devices plugged in and I mean all of them vr inc
that still wont protect your current set binds from a patch
or method two rename your bind file which should be patch proof
View attachment 127021
to rename your bind file
go here
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
(you may need to tick show hidden files and folders in control panel folder options too see these files)
STEP 1
rename your custom 3.0 binds file for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL.3.0.binds
STEP 2
open the file(using notepad) and edit line 2 between the speechmarks like this
<Root PresetName="STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">
and save the file keeping the .binds filetype

STEP 3
now open the start preset file(notepad) and rename that the same so it just reads for eg
STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL
and then save keeping the StartPreset.start filetype

STRONTIUM DOG CONTROL will now show up in the controls section preset menu in the game for eg
vsP5ODW.png

then just backup the whole bindings folder to someplace safe outta the way ie NOT IN the frontier folders(after all your control binds are tested and saved in game)
if your controls get weird & or just lost for any reason just copy and paste/replace the folder back in ensuring that your control devices are all plugged in and recognised by windows first
N.B if you so wish you can delete the entire bindings folder at any time where upon game reboot a brand new default one will be re generated if you wish to start from scratch (controls only and not recommended unless you like setting up all the controls from the beginning)

Big Thanks for this SD.. just fired up the game again after a new PC build and a hiatus from the game, the whole BINDS thing was driving me nuts.

:)

My key bindings reset every time I open the control section in the settings, close the game or do anything related with the controls. This has become more of a pain in the a** since the addition of the new HUD modes and the Night Vision as I continuously have to set them again...
The first time one changes ANY of the default configs listed with their choice of utility such as Warthog for example. The very next time they enter the area to change something it will not be listed as Warthog or Controller etc. It will state "CUSTOM". DO NOT re-select your original choice such as Warthog, simply change what ever you want and save it.

Should you change from custom to Warthog, you are resetting it.

Came across this thread today while looking for a solution for the same problem which has been happening to me since yesterday on my custom file bind for my new X56 Hotas. I followed Strontium Dog's instructions and everything went great. Started playing EDH and everything works great, the only problem for me is that now I cannot change any of the bindings in my controls bind. It is a new hotas and while playing I realised that I would rather switch my FSD to a better bind but it will not take. I change the bind and apply but it immediately resets to the previous setting. In one way I like this as I will always have a back up but is there a way to allow me to change settings without having to resort to using the Empty option in controls?.

Came across this thread today while looking for a solution for the same problem which has been happening to me since yesterday on my custom file bind for my new X56 Hotas. I followed Strontium Dog's instructions and everything went great. Started playing EDH and everything works great, the only problem for me is that now I cannot change any of the bindings in my controls bind. It is a new hotas and while playing I realised that I would rather switch my FSD to a better bind but it will not take. I change the bind and apply but it immediately resets to the previous setting. In one way I like this as I will always have a back up but is there a way to allow me to change settings without having to resort to using the Empty option in controls?.

This failure to remember changes is usually due to backup / copied binds files in the same directory. Even renaming the file doesn't help, it is the name inside the file that causes the issue. So check you have no copies in the directory, keep backups elsewhere. Hope that helps.

This failure to remember changes is usually due to backup / copied binds files in the same directory. Even renaming the file doesn't help, it is the name inside the file that causes the issue. So check you have no copies in the directory, keep backups elsewhere. Hope that helps.
I followed Strontium Dog's instructions and deleted all the other files in the Bindings folder other than the new one I created MyX56 and the Start preset.start. I just looked now after reading your post and there is another file now named Custom.3.0.binds as well as MyX56.3.0.binds and the start preset.start file. Not sure whether that is helpful or not Malcolm?.

I followed Strontium Dog's instructions and deleted all the other files in the Bindings folder other than the new one I created MyX56 and the Start preset.start. I just looked now after reading your post and there is another file now named Custom.3.0.binds as well as MyX56.3.0.binds and the start preset.start file. Not sure whether that is helpful or not Malcolm?.

If you load (select) the MyX56 drop-down from the preset list in the Options / Controls page - does that work?

the reason you cant save or make binding changes is it is probably saving to a duplicate somewhere so check your C:\Users\yourname\AppData\ pathway for any duplicates
and get rid of them other than your renamed custom 3.0 .bind file and renamed startpreset. start file.

saving in game bindings changes under your new preset name eg STRONTIUMDOG CONTROL should take place as normal when in game when applied.
if you find it is saving to a duplicate(not saving as normal) reboot pc after finding said duplicate and deleting it in case the unwanted save path is still held in the in game ram
regarding the C:\Users\yourname\AppData\ pathway there should only be 2 frontier folders here one underscored and one that is not which contains the bindings folder so check for duplicate install folders there as well
the only other thing I can think of that could prevent on the fly binding changes(file re writes) may be your av so temp disable to rule that out too
hope that helps you make binding changes on the fly as normal...…………………...
just remember if you ever start or run the game with no bindings folder or correct files inside present ref(N.B)above it will create a new default custom 3.0 binds file which you should be able to simply delete, so as a rule don't leave any game or app running when renaming and editing its files always close and restart which I should have mentioned and not taken for granted you would do this ………………..
(I have redited my guide to reflect that the game should be closed down when editing/deleting etc filenames so your input is repped fellow albeit salty dog):giggle: so that surplus to requirement custom 3.0 bind files are not generated whilst renaming or deleting is in progress my bad

Last edited:
That is it all sorted now, I deleted that Custom 3.0 file leaving only the two others, rebooted my PC and started up EDH. Changed the two settings I wanted to and started Open Play and the changed bindings are now bound properly. Played for a while to ensure all was well and exited EDH. After getting back to my internet monitor I opened up the Frontier Dev bindings file and it only has the two entries it should have this time. Thanks again for the help guys, it's good that you take the time to help. (y)

I agree it is the name inside the file that causes the issue but I don't think that you need to remove the old binds files from the folder. In my Bindings folder I have:
StartPreset.start,
Dual_2.3.0.binds,
Dual_2a.3.0.binds,
StartPreset.start.bak
Dual_2.3.0 - Copy.binds.
And there are two sub-folders with about 40 old binds.

What I see in the preset dropdown is:
CLASSIC KEYBOARD ONLY
EMPTY
GENERIC JOYSTICK
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE WITH YAW
SAITEK X52 PRO
DUAL_2
DUAL_2A

I've not had a bindings problem since renaming my binds files and some of them were created 5 years ago.

Is it possible to have two presets? Since each file is linked to an actual device.

Yes it is possible but you can use only one at a time. Inside the binds file for each setting there will be the device name and the button or axis, it uses.
For instance:
<SetSpeed75>
<Primary Device="Keyboard" Key="Key_Numpad_7" />
<Secondary Device="SaitekX52Pro" Key="Joy_14">
<Modifier Device="SaitekX52Pro" Key="Joy_6" />
</Secondary>
</SetSpeed75>

no removing old binds is not really ness but then again keeping them isnt ness either
a renamed or default custom 3.0.binds is what most if not all will probably currently be using

Last edited:
Yes it is possible but you can use only one at a time. Inside the binds file for each setting there will be the device name and the button or axis, it uses.
For instance:
<SetSpeed75>
<Primary Device="Keyboard" Key="Key_Numpad_7" />
<Secondary Device="SaitekX52Pro" Key="Joy_14">
<Modifier Device="SaitekX52Pro" Key="Joy_6" />
</Secondary>
</SetSpeed75>
I didnt ask my question correctly. Can i have xboxBT3.0 , and xboxUSB3.0 in the bindings folder? As long as they are identified in the startpreset file??

Also i think i saw someone typed i can put my backup binds in a folder within the Bindings folder and the game will not be effected.. is that correct?

Top Bottom