Horizons My rant about people ranting about horizons/horizons pricing

Stop complaining about horizons when it was said that planetary landings will be part of an expansion at later date. But yet you just choose to complain about it after its released, good job.

Who can complain about the pricing ?! Its an EXPANSION, just look up other game's expansion and its always 50-60€/$. In this case its more of a yearly subscription which will give YOU some starting content at the start and most of it as the year progresses and keep the DEVS having the finances for making the game, which is not cheap at all these times.
Its genius way how to make a game since you get all the feedback you can while you develop the game. Thats why Frontier marketed this expansion as a new game with early access tag on steam, read it yourself what it means because apparently most people dont know what it means http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/.

Another thing that made me to get this out of me are people UPVOTING EVERY NEGATIVE review of ED:Horizons/ED and DOWNVOTING EVERY POSITIVE review of ED:Horizons/ED regardless of their context of the review. Proof: http://steamcommunity.com/id/andrejsvk/recommended/419270/ , there is NO ONE that chose to argue why is Horizons bad, they just mindlessly downvote it because its positive. Almost every positive review has ~50% of positive feedback on it and almost every negative review has ~75% positive feedback. Seriously people that are doing this grow up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that it doesnt mean anything but this is how ED reacted to me saying that development of games IS expensive after someone asked why horizons is so expensive: https://youtu.be/A2SVmuFClTQ?t=52m28s

Also, what do you do when you are buying a product ? Yes, thats right, you get much info as possible and then decide on yourself if its worth it or not. Which most people didnt do apparently.

I had to get this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why anyone would leave a negative review about Horizons' lack of content (for it's £40/$60 price tag)... Unless they are acting like a spoiled child, who thinks they are entitled to get all their presents right now (rather than waiting for their birthday/Xmas/etc)... Or unless they somehow failed to understand that they bought a "Season Pass" rather than a full complete game.

This is all i keep seeing on every forum about any game. PEople whining about others opinion (whining). We do not live in a homogeneous world, we are all different, and lo and behold we almost never agree on anything. Logic makes no difference what so ever when you love or hate something. At least you were clever and said that you would be ranting. Not sure how that makes it any more productive but...ok.

To waste your time spreading this here, a forum where most of the dedicated players reside is also kind of pointless and it seems like you want a patt on the back.

I respectfully ask that you keep this junk on the steam forums, and any of your ilk with either a positive or negative view (the ones where you need to ram it down peoples throats) to do the same.

You can speak your opinion of course, but when it becomes about reprimanding and insulting others based on theirs, it just becomes white knighting, and on the other side of the spectrum...i dunno..black knighting?

im just sorry to see that base ED is now 9.99 pounds, horizons is 39.99, 50 pounds total. i paid the same ammount for backing the early beta back in 2014 and now im left with less content than regular player who will buy ready game today.

im just sorry to see that base ED is now 9.99 pounds, horizons is 39.99, 50 pounds total. i paid the same ammount for backing the early beta back in 2014 and now im left with less content than regular player who will buy ready game today.

Actually, I think you get ED when you buy Horizons on its own (But check to be sure)

Indeed. You 'backed' a 'beta'. In '2014'.

IMHO this opinion is almost as bad as those posting the nonsensical negative reviews. You paid £50 for a game, and got to play it for 2014 & the whole of 2015, i.e. 2 years before those who can now buy it for less.

That is standard practice for most software products, or should I whine that I paid an extortionate amount to buy each of the Lord Of The Rings films individually when they came out, and now you can buy the whole lot in one package for less than what I paid for a single of those films?

i was just about to start a rant about me ranting about u ranting about ranters... but then i realised how silly that would sound :eek:

i understand the politic behind it but wouldnt compare movie to the game as in beta you dont get full product but just a base mechanic with little content and lots bugs and instabilities, plus theres not much use of beta especially in mmos as you get your progress erased on release.
i simply wasnt able to afford season pass (earning 350 pounds a month) and i just hoped for a small discont for the beta backers along with the vulture paint job and the ability to test the unfinished product.

Well said OP! I always say that 'most people are stupid' and coming here only ever reaffirms that statement. £30 is nothing.

People are upset because they paid a chunk of money for what is essentially a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, it was cool to see/do the actual planet landing. Flying around in your little buggy in low grav was fun for a few hours. Then after looking at the barren crafting system, handful more cookie cutter missions, and a few new ships which about half are decent, I felt cheated. Granted some of the missions offer decent credits, at least, for new characters. If your making 4-5 mil/per hour bounty hunting, then this expansion offers really nothing for your time to credits ratio. I found myself going back to doing exactly what I was doing before the expansion so more or less I wasted my money and that how a lot of people feel.

People are upset because they paid a chunk of money for what is essentially a gimmick.

No, it is not. It is big addition of content which includes new gameplay elements. Fact you don't enjoy it is your subjective opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it was cool to see/do the actual planet landing. Flying around in your little buggy in low grav was fun for a few hours.

Few hours? Driving around buggy is worth 10 - 15 hours or even more. There's games costing 60 USD for that time with way less entertainment value.

Then after looking at the barren crafting system

No crafting system yet, only materials. Crafting coming in update 2.1

handful more cookie cutter missions

Not sure I will call them cookie cutter. Missions are heavily improved and new ones bring some promise of interesting stuff happening. They need to be more fleshed out, which I no doubt will happen. Still, they offer interesting moment by moment gameplay. I suspect majority of people who complain about missions haven't even tried most of them.

and a few new ships which about half are decent, I felt cheated. Granted some of the missions offer decent credits, at least, for new characters. If your making 4-5 mil/per hour bounty hunting, then this expansion offers really nothing for your time to credits ratio. I found myself going back to doing exactly what I was doing before the expansion so more or less I wasted my money and that how a lot of people feel.

Fact you wasted your money doesn't make complains valid. It feels that you have jumped on such conclusions even giving Horizons proper playing time. Wondering what very different you expected.

I think they made a mistake in the way they marketed the game from the start. They seemed to give it away to those that had played the original. I Waited years hunting down a modern version of Elite and would of paid a fortune for it. When I found it I found that I didn't need to. I just needed to play and report bugs as a BETA player and after that it was pretty much handed to me for minimum cost. I brought the game, a lifetime expansion pass, a shed load of extras for £80. The people that wanted Elite brought Elite. Now the devs are trying to sell to a market that isn't interested in the game. Moving onto Xbox and PS is ridiculous. ED cant compete with Call of duty or FIFA or GTA in a teenagers head. Elite is something his dad played. How gay!

The market you have is all he market you are going to see. I would quite happily tare up my lifetime expansion pass and inject some cash into the game. Give me something worth paying for and i'll happily do it.

People have a right to be upset if the product they bought offers nothing new in the ways of content (you are doing just the same only now on a planet) .
Missions have not improved anything. Still no depth, moronic mission descriptions, multi part missions are a joke & you have your time waisting missions where you have to wait for a npc to spawn.
"New features" as you like to call them is nothing more then basic functions that every mmo (if you want to call ED a mmo) comes with standard (character creation/crafting/etc).
The only thing Horizons brings is landing on planets, the rest should have been fixed already in the first year (missions, how long have we been asking ?) or included already in the base game (character creation/crafting).
I have the lifetime pass and been in beta but i'm shaking my head when i see that ED has to most basic of functions tucked away behind a paywall for other people and I can understand the negativity it creates.

People have a right to be upset if the product they bought offers nothing new in the ways of content (you are doing just the same only now on a planet) .
Missions have not improved anything. Still no depth, moronic mission descriptions, multi part missions are a joke & you have your time waisting missions where you have to wait for a npc to spawn.
"New features" as you like to call them is nothing more then basic functions that every mmo (if you want to call ED a mmo) comes with standard (character creation/crafting/etc).
The only thing Horizons brings is landing on planets, the rest should have been fixed already in the first year (missions, how long have we been asking ?) or included already in the base game (character creation/crafting).
I have the lifetime pass and been in beta but i'm shaking my head when i see that ED has to most basic of functions tucked away behind a paywall for other people and I can understand the negativity it creates.

100% with you on this. If I had paid for Horizons I would of been screaming blue murder by now. But that in mind it is a big development and it is still in infancy. It does look good and holds promise so I am going to hang in there and see what happens.

No, it is not. It is big addition of content which includes new gameplay elements. Fact you don't enjoy it is your subjective opinion.
Its a big "promise" of additional content, with updates to come, not much really made it into the launched game.

Few hours? Driving around buggy is worth 10 - 15 hours or even more. There's games costing 60 USD for that time with way less entertainment value.
Well I'm glad your so easily amused then and that you felt you got your money worth. However as stated the crafting system is barren/not implemented so driving around for hours mining rocks to craft into fuel so you can drive around for hours looking for more rocks. The random crash sites or data points, all though neat, are not really worth the time/money to a veteran player.

No crafting system yet, only materials. Crafting coming in update 2.1
Really would rather wait and have a released, finished and complete expansion rather than a few implemented features with the promise of making them more interesting.

Not sure I will call them cookie cutter. Missions are heavily improved and new ones bring some promise of interesting stuff happening. They need to be more fleshed out, which I no doubt will happen. Still, they offer interesting moment by moment gameplay. I suspect majority of people who complain about missions haven't even tried most of them.

You may be right, the few I did try were just revamped cargo mission where instead of delivery to a station I'm now landing on a planet. My complaint about missions should be refined. I would like to see bigger paying missions or missions that would be difficult enough to merit doing it with a wing and being worth the time and money. I checked the boards almost every time I dock and I rarely see a mission that pays over 150k and you can make more than that in less than 2 minutes in a hazardous belt. I have never done or found a mission that was meaningful or remotely memorable.

Fact you wasted your money doesn't make complains valid. It feels that you have jumped on such conclusions even giving Horizons proper playing time. Wondering what very different you expected.
Nor does it make my complaints invalid and I don't criticize because I secretly hate FD and the elite series, its because I want them to do better. Given the last series of updates: Wings, should have been in game from launch. CQC, although neat at first with nothing tie to the main game has more or less died, good luck finding fully lobbies. PP was a hollow implementation of a promise made during the kick starter that the players would have a "impact" on the universe. If your a player that never subscribed to PP or quit PP then your day to day doesn't really change. So color me not impressed with the past year's worth of updates. So here we are again (same as on launch) with the bones of a game with not a lot of content, with a promise of updates to come.
To answer your question of what I expected, I expect a finished product not a half baked one.

How right you are, you would think the words -EARLY ACCESS- would allow people to do some homework on what there getting into but no, then to cover there own incompetence they complain and complain endlessly, as Ive said before this is a simulation for adults.
I think ED predicted this too and introduced that CQC thing so the kids could go pew pew alas it was not enough and now there all staring at there screen saying - what is this i don't understand and probably never will. sorry if you think I'm too harsh but the truth can sometimes hurt.

This thread is going to be like fly paper too the disgruntled, where is my hard hat i can hear the incoming now. and you think its bad here the trolls are smashing it on steam, and before you say it, yes your entitled to your opinion as are we that are impressed with what this small developer has done. this game is just going to get better and better year in year out pity some of you wont be here to enjoy it.

To end on a positive note ED and EDH are selling like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom