Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

Why?
This will limit you greatly when it comes to exploring. When you find an unexplored system, even if you don't map it, you will at least get your name added for finding the star when you sell your data.
"Offended" was a little too strong a word.
It's just that I will see anything I find as being exciting. That is even if it's been found and settled by others before me.
A bit like me finding Bali.
Thousands had been there before me, including settlement by the Dutch.
But it was still hugely exciting for me when I first arrived. :D

That seems to echo what Quain has been telling me (well, I think it does ;) ). So that is encouraging.
I have to say, I am following his direction, and that in no way meant to offend anybody else offering me advice.
It just makes it a lot simpler for me.
If I fail, so be it. I won't be blaming anybody, particularly not Quain.
I'll just put it down to experience, having had a lot of fun. (y)
Yes Faded Glory's message mirrors mine 👍

"Offended" was a little too strong a word.
It's just that I will see anything I find as being exciting. That is even if it's been found and settled by others before me.
A bit like me finding Bali.
Thousands had been there before me, including settlement by the Dutch.
But it was still hugely exciting for me when I first arrived. :D
When you go exploring you will see planets and moons with names for "Discovered by" and "Mapped by" names if someone has discovered and also mapped them. If you arrive in a system, do the Discovery Scanner "honk" of the system (people call it honking the system), get told how many bodies are in the system but find the system map is mostly empty, you know you are the first to be there. It's up to you to use the Full Spectrum Scanner to "discover" each body and if you want do a Detailed Surface Scan shooting probes at the planet/moon that's mapping it. When you sell that data to Universal Cartography at a station or fleet carrier with the service, "Wombat1940" will be shown as the discovered by and Mapped by commander if you also map it and anyone else visits.

Well yeah. There's only 1 galaxy. Ok to be clear there are a couple others visible but we can't fly there. The Milky Way is it. Only some 4 billion stars. Maybe we won't run out very soon.
I now think what Codger was saying about 1 Galaxy, referred only ED. Which, reading what others have said about ED, is perfectly correct. Sorry about my earlier comment Codger, I just misunderstood.

If I might be so brazen to say, here's how I understand the setup is: (Please see the latest updated post #569)

There is one Universe that includes everything.

The Universe is full of billions, trillions of Galaxies.
Our own Galaxy is called the Milky Way.

Each Galaxy is made up of billions of Solar Systems.
Our own Solar System is called Sol and is part of the Milk Way.

Each Solar System is made up of a Star or in some cases a number of Stars, together with numerous Planets.
Our own Solar System has one Star (which we call the Sun) together with eight Planets. One of these Planets is what we call the Earth.

In the case of ED, there is just one Galaxy. That Galaxy being the Milky Way and of course, includes our Solar System with the Sun and the Earth.

Any errors ......... please advise ASAP. ;)

Last edited:
When you go exploring you will see planets and moons with names for "Discovered by" and "Mapped by" names if someone has discovered and also mapped them. If you arrive in a system, do the Discovery Scanner "honk" of the system (people call it honking the system), get told how many bodies are in the system but find the system map is mostly empty, you know you are the first to be there. It's up to you to use the Full Spectrum Scanner to "discover" each body and if you want do a Detailed Surface Scan shooting probes at the planet/moon that's mapping it. When you sell that data to Universal Cartography at a station or fleet carrier with the service, "Wombat1940" will be shown as the discovered by and Mapped by commander if you also map it and anyone else visits.
Sounds fun, but not a wish that I rate highly. Fun ? Yes, but nothing more, and not something I consider with high priority. ;)

Each Solar System is made up of a Star or in some cases a number of Stars, together with numerous Planets.
Our own Solar System has one Star (which we call the Sun) together with eight Planets. One of these Planets is what we call the Earth.

Just a clarification, not an error...

A solar system can be as simple as just a single star on its own, or it may be a primary star with multiple other stars and planets. The largets solar system that I have seen / discovered had 100 bodies in it. And of course, anything in between. :)

Just a clarification, not an error...

A solar system can be as simple as just a single star on its own, or it may be a primary star with multiple other stars and planets. The largets solar system that I have seen / discovered had 100 bodies in it. And of course, anything in between. :)
Yes, not an error, just a more detailed response. I left out such things as moons, meteorites, etc just to keep it simple. I don't mind admitting, my initial understanding about a Galaxy, was totally wrong ! :( Hence my request for "any errors" is quite serious and still stands.

I now think what Codger was saying about 1 Galaxy, referred only ED. Which, reading what others have said about ED, is perfectly correct. Sorry about my earlier comment Codger, I just misunderstood.

If I might be so brazen to say, here's how I understand the setup is:

There is one Universe that includes everything.

The Universe is full of billions, trillions of Galaxies.
Our own Galaxy is called the Milky Way.

Each Galaxy is made up of billions of Solar Systems.
Our own Solar System is called Sol and is part of the Milk Way.

In the case of ED, there is just one Galaxy. That Galaxy being the Milky Way and of course, includes our Solar System with the Sun and the Earth.

Once you get to the edge of the galaxy there is no where to jump to. I did go to the very top to try recently, but no 😅
8I6dbXt.jpg

The square at the top is a stray star too far away to get to. The other red boxes mark other galaxies too far away to jump to and they are bright enough to shine through the Milky Way.

Once you get to the edge of the galaxy there is no where to jump to. I did go to the very top to try recently, but no 😅
8I6dbXt.jpg

The square at the top is a stray star too far away to get to. The other red boxes mark other galaxies too far away to jump to and they are bright enough to shine through the Milky Way.
Just to clarify, I assume you are talking about ED's Galaxy ? :oops: If so, do you know anybody who has successfully made the jump out of our Galaxy ?

And is that the situation in the "real world" as well ? (In truth, something I see as far more important to know).
It seems not. According to the real astronomers linked below the solar system is simply called the Solar System (note the capitalisation). The galaxy map simply labels star systems with the name of their main star.

And it's this that annoys me:
The NASA say, quote: " ....... Our planetary system is named the "solar system" because our Sun is named Sol ....... "
My question is, if this is the case what are other "solar" systems called ? Can't be solar unless they call their Star Sol ? :unsure:

Last edited:
It seems not. According to the real astronomers linked below the solar system is simply called the Solar System (note the capitalisation). The galaxy map simply labels star systems with the name of their main star.
Thanks Krieger.
I need to read this carefully so that what I have said doesn't contradict what they are saying.
However, I knew it wouldn't be simple and hence the importance of others expressing their views or pointing to other sources of useful information for me to refer to.

Just for interest: do you consider the Galaxy Map as an accurate interpretation of what is shown and said in the real world ?

Just to clarify, I assume you are talking about ED's Galaxy ? :oops: If so, do you know anybody who has successfully made the jump out of our Galaxy ?
Funny how we manage to conflate reality with the game activity. I wish I had a Krait Phantom in real life and could fly to the top of the Milky Way. No one in Elite Dangerous has ever managed to get higher than where this picture was taken. That's the Silver Phoenix's silhouette in the picture with a 70.59ly jump range. The first ship in the game to ever get there was a 53ly Anaconda.

Top Bottom