my zoo is constantly crashing

I found where the save files are hiding.
path.png

The 'Me2' folder could be named differently for you. The savefile with your zoo name should be in there (they end in .zoo). If you zoo is a franchise zoo, I think those are the save files that are like a string of random letters and numbers.

Literally all you do is take cheap shots at other people to the benefit of no-one. I'd say pointing out Zoopedia errors and inaccuracies in other aspects is more valuable than that.

@Ron Python unfortunately as others have said occasionally a save file can become corrupted. This isn't unique to Planet Zoo and occurs with plenty of games. I don't know how to fix it, but to find your save file to send to Frontier click the Windows Search button (on Windows 11 this is the magnifying glass next to the Windows button, on Windows 10 I believe there is a search box on the taskbar), search "Frontier Developments" and then click on it. This will take you to two folders, one with "Planet Zoo" and the other with "Planet Coaster". Inside the Planet Zoo folder is another folder with a string of numbers, and inside that folder is a folder labelled "Saves". In that folder you'll find your save game, which you can attach to an email to send to Frontier.

They might not be able to help you either. If all that is too difficult for you it's best just to play a different zoo.
Thank you very much I hope it will work because it is not pleasant to throw a zoo that I worked hard on Thank you very much 💚

98% of people don’t have issues crashing the game - therefore, 98% of people don’t complain that their game is crashing.

I totally understand. You seem very knowledgeable and clued in.

What percentage of people experience crashes in the game? What's the actual number?

I'm very interested because it seems like a very high amount.

Last edited:
What percentage of people experience crashes in the game? What's the actual number?
No idea. My point was just that people who don’t experience crashes are unlikely to post endlessly about them. I’ve only had a couple of crashes ever, so I’ve never posted that I have an issue.
People don’t complain about issues they don’t have… the severity of the issue (game-destroying vs. minor inconvenience vs. minor inaccuracies) isn’t (mostly) what determines how often things are mentioned on the forums - how many people experience the issue is a much bigger factor. That being said, individuals are more likely to complain about bigger issues so the low number of complaints on the forums implies a very low incidence of major issues.

I'm very interested because it seems like a very high amount.
Ok… doesn’t seem like many to me. If there were a lot I’d expect more people complaining about it!

Last edited:
Okay superman.

Do you work for frontier, or just enjoy being offended on behalf of others?

"I'd say pointing out Zoopedia errors and inaccuracies in other aspects is more valuable than that."

I'd say it isn't very valuable because I'm allowed to have an opinion 🙂
So, Correct me if I misunderstood your point.
I think your point is 'Helping to fix the crash happening on people's savefile and bringing awareness that errors exist is more important than pointing out an error and inaccuracy in the game, and PZ community should put former in higher priority than latter.' Am I correct?
Allow me expose my thought and opinion about it here: Yes, but.

No computer program is completely free from glitches. There're always some errors, lag, freezing, or crashes. But Frontier is still working on the Planet Zoo. This means they are working on remedying the issues currently happening. We're constantly getting 'General stability fixes' and 'performance fixes'.

But yes, there are STILL actual crash issues, like the one you've had, or the very case here.
I had some crash issues too. But that didn't matter to me, as
1) It was a very rare occasion,
2) There was an actual sign of something's going wrong before the crash,
3) I just sent a report in the window popped up as PZ crashed,
and 4) It didn't really happened to me again.
If it was actually constant, I would write a similar post here. But as it was a rare thing, and as I already wrote a crash report, I didn't really bother. Most issues might got passed by many players with the same reason. We already have a report system in the crash, and the crash itself is rare. Only constant crash "survives" and people suffering from it, like Ron Python, have to post the problem they have to get help from the community and bring awareness.
But as I said, not many have experienced crash, and even fewer of them actually know what's the root of the problem. I, too, cannot give him an advice as I never had my save constantly crashing. And even if I had a constant crash, I'd not be sure my problem is the same one as Ron's, so what I could provided might not work on Ron's end.

If the players' experience aren't directly harmed by the issues and stability of software itself, the next issue they would have will be the errors and inaccuracies in the game, as those are likely to harm the players' experience or expectation. And that's the reason I think you see more posts about inaccuracy than crashes.

Okay, this has become too long. Hope this summarizes it.
1) Errors, lag, freezing, and crashes happen. And Frontier is always trying to fix them.
2) As those issues happen rarely, and even fewer of them are actually be constant problems, not many gets to posted on the forum.
3) Few had problem, fewer have that problem constantly, even fewer have solution and it might not even be the actual solution.
4) If players' experience are not harmed by the issue of the software itself, they'll focus on the inaccuracies and errors in the game.

P.S. 12344321, I think a few of your posts may appear a bit "rude" or "immature". I think you could have make your point and kindly tell us why community and Frontier should focus more on software issues than inaccurate information contained ingame, rather than just saying 'I oppose to your idea because I'm allowed to have an opinion:)'. I mean, nobody said you're not allowed to have one. But it could be more healthy.

P.S. 12344321, I think a few of your posts may appear a bit "rude" or "immature". I think you could have make your point and kindly tell us why community and Frontier should focus more on software issues than inaccurate information contained ingame
This is your point "Explain why Frontier should focus more on the game crashing. Rather than focus on the range of a llama, or other minor errors in the zoopedia?"

That's like asking me to explain why Santa Claus isn't real. I mean if you don't get why that's more important, I'm wasting my breathe and energy explaining it...

Game crashes make playing the game impossible. And the game crashes frequently. (Google it, the internet exists). Where as the color of a lion or the range of a llama is insignificant...and in NO way affects gameplay. But that's just obvious...not sure why you wanted that explained? 🤔
(Just search Planet Zoo game crashes. It's very common. Use the search at the top of the screen or use reddit or youtube and type planet zoo crashing and see how many people share this experience.)

And honestly in terms of "posting nicer"...save it for church camp 🙏
I paid good money for a game that crashes, I have nothing nice to say...fix your broken game Frontier or I'll post about it on Metacritic so other people don't have to buy this broken game. 🙂 If you, or other people want to be complacent with garbage then that's how you were raised, good for you live your life. 👍 This is the most expensive game I've ever bought, and it crashes...making it basically the only game I own that crashes on a consistent basis. How is the most expensive game also the most broken game I've ever owned? If that doesn't bother you....I don't care.

The most expensive book I own doesn't have pages ripped out, it isn't broken...so why is the most expensive game I own broken?

Last edited:
I do think I didn't make myself clear. My apologies.
So let me correct myself with your reasoning and make my point here: Bringing up those crashes to community and make people aware that it still exists is important for the sake of many players' gameplay experience. But there are some reasons(good or bad) that they don't seem to get much of a shine as posts pointing out inaccuracies in the game.

And no, I don't think inaccuracies in the game weighs heavier than the software issues. If compared, crashes are more serious problem.

So after having a little search do on the Steam community of Planet Zoo, it does seem like there are a handful of people actually having crashes after the 1.8 update. I think this is quite a serious problem and Frontier needs to put out some hotfix or something.

Oh, and sorry. If I have to identify, I'm more of a Buddhist. ;)

I have the crash of the zoo very much disappointing me from Friday I didn't play and I tried all day to get into it and it just crashes it discourages me so I have no idea what to do and I sent the file to the frontier shorten it really breaks me I can't give up On this zoo I love it and it's awful to abandon even zoo you want to continue with. 🥺 💚

So after having a little search do on the Steam community of Planet Zoo, it does seem like there are a handful of people actually having crashes after the 1.8 update. I think this is quite a serious problem and Frontier needs to put out some hotfix or something.
I'm pretty sure we should get Update 1.8.1 soon. Probably next Week. I hope it will help at least some of the People that experience regular Crashes

I do have crashes, and I have lost a few zoo's. In fact, my main flagship zoo, I have had to re do it nearly 5 times now due to the file being corrupted. Not sure how it got corrupted, but what I do, is I save the file and then copy it to an external hard drive for that particular zoo. Now, if it crashes, copy and drag from my hard drive to my main pc, and boom... Zoo Saved and I don't have to start completely over any more.

I do have crashes, and I have lost a few zoo's. In fact, my main flagship zoo, I have had to re do it nearly 5 times now due to the file being corrupted. Not sure how it got corrupted, but what I do, is I save the file and then copy it to an external hard drive for that particular zoo. Now, if it crashes, copy and drag from my hard drive to my main pc, and boom... Zoo Saved and I don't have to start completely over any more.
Oh thanks for sharing do you think it will work for me too?🤔

Oh thanks for sharing do you think it will work for me too?🤔
It's a possibility... I've had some success in retrieving my zoo from the saved files. Another thing you could try, is from the main sand box menu, Upload the saved file to steam. Then after uploading it. Download the same file you uploaded to steam so it creates a whole new file in your saved zoo's. Then try opening it then. I did that the 3rd time I lost my zoo after a update and the file got corrupted and I was able to retrieve it with out any further issues. Just don't delete the file until you are able to reopen it. The other thing I was able to do, was retrieve the most recent auto save of that particular file, providing that was the last file you played with. That will sometimes work. However, if the file is beyond retrieval and is too corrupted, PZ will just crash every time you try to load it.

It's a possibility... I've had some success in retrieving my zoo from the saved files. Another thing you could try, is from the main sand box menu, Upload the saved file to steam. Then after uploading it. Download the same file you uploaded to steam so it creates a whole new file in your saved zoo's. Then try opening it then. I did that the 3rd time I lost my zoo after a update and the file got corrupted and I was able to retrieve it with out any further issues. Just don't delete the file until you are able to reopen it. The other thing I was able to do, was retrieve the most recent auto save of that particular file, providing that was the last file you played with. That will sometimes work. However, if the file is beyond retrieval and is too corrupted, PZ will just crash every time you try to load it.
Oh okay i will try thank you very much 💚

Your welcome. Good Luck!
Thanks so much for the help😊 I tried it if it worked? No ... it's very discouraging to me but still I don't want to open a new zoo I love this zoo so much and I saw a promising future with it it's very disappointing me I need to check what to do about it .. and thanks for all your help guys 💚

I always keep multiple save files. Whenever i make some progress, i just save on one of the other files. That way, if one file goes corrupt, you always have the other ones. You never have to completely start over. And i also copy them to an external drive.

I always keep multiple save files. Whenever i make some progress, i just save on one of the other files. That way, if one file goes corrupt, you always have the other ones. You never have to completely start over. And i also copy them to an external drive.
It's good advice the problem is it does not go into my zoo yet so I can't do it until it does come in but I will use this advice in the future so thank you very much 💚

I can't speak to what percentage of players are impacted, but can say that the number of crashes while playing has decreased for me overall However, I do have two franchise zoos that I've lost, and that instantly crash whenever I try to reload into them (which is way worse than crashing but being able to get back in, because you've lost everything, instead of only a few minutes!).

In my particular cases, my best guess is that the original problem may have been with the Steam franchise servers, because after each crashed, it took quite a while for me to be able to get back into Steam at all -- much less into Planet Zoo itself. Obviously not saying that this is everyone's cause.... Just trouble shooting my own, and adding my voice that the crashes may be more common than is written about here. Like someone above said, I report those on the crash report, rather than jumping into the forums for most of those. I believe those all get through to Frontier, but do get how doing it that way leaves an incomplete record over here, and may give the impression that fewer people are experiencing this than actually are.

One thing I do recommend, though, is to try going back to those broken zoos after each update (including the minor .1, .2 updates, etc.). One of the zoos that crashed on me like this I was able to get into for a time between one of the updates (but then sadly lost it again after the next one). But if you're lucky, you may be able to get in long enough to rescue some high quality animals, or blueprint a favorite construction item for later use.

Top Bottom