Need help finding ANY painite AT ALL

I'm currently trying to unlock Selene Jean, and as you know, she requires a donation of 10 units of painite. "No big deal," I thought, so I equipped my Python with mining lasers, limpets, refinery, the lot, and searched for painite hotspots (using the known method of DSS-ing metallic or metal rich rings).

Problem: I've searched probably more than a dozen separate hotspots, and prospected/lasered HUNDREDS of asteroids, some of which were 100+ LY outside the bubble. And I have not seen ONE. SINGLE. SOLITARY. SCRAP of painite. No, I'm not saying I'm not finding "profitable" zones, or asteroids with over 30% painite, or whatever--I mean I have seen literally ZERO painite. Not one fleck, not one of the hundreds of asteroids had even a drop of painite in them.

What am I doing wrong? All I need is the stupid 10 units for the Engineer, and I never have to do it again. I've tried to avoid the populated areas as much as possible. I haven't found any overlapping painite hotspots, but is that really necessary to find ANY painite at all?

These days I prefer core mining for painite over strip mining, as one single asteroid will give you well over the 10 painite you'll need, and the pulse wave scanner greatly reduces the RNG factor. I don't use external tools to find these magic tri-level hotspots, however (which I'm sure somebody will tell you about shortly).

Wait, you can core mine painite? I had no idea. That would be amazing. Heading back to the bubble to put seismic charges and abrasion blasters on my ship. Thanks for the advice!

Wait, you can core mine painite? I had no idea. That would be amazing. Heading back to the bubble to put seismic charges and abrasion blasters on my ship. Thanks for the advice!
The only reason I laser mine these days is for topping off materials (with the side-benefit of making some profits on whatever I refine). I much prefer core mining, regardless of profitability, because it's way more fun IMO.

Google search double Panite mining locations tool.
It'll allow you to find where the nearest hot spot is.

Fly to the ring and drop into a hotspot.
Should take you no more than 30 minutes to get to 10t.

no need for deep core mining of Panite. Surface mining is more productive

I'm currently trying to unlock Selene Jean, and as you know, she requires a donation of 10 units of painite. "No big deal," I thought, so I equipped my Python with mining lasers, limpets, refinery, the lot, and searched for painite hotspots (using the known method of DSS-ing metallic or metal rich rings).

Problem: I've searched probably more than a dozen separate hotspots, and prospected/lasered HUNDREDS of asteroids, some of which were 100+ LY outside the bubble. And I have not seen ONE. SINGLE. SOLITARY. SCRAP of painite. No, I'm not saying I'm not finding "profitable" zones, or asteroids with over 30% painite, or whatever--I mean I have seen literally ZERO painite. Not one fleck, not one of the hundreds of asteroids had even a drop of painite in them.

What am I doing wrong? All I need is the stupid 10 units for the Engineer, and I never have to do it again. I've tried to avoid the populated areas as much as possible. I haven't found any overlapping painite hotspots, but is that really necessary to find ANY painite at all?
Sorry if I make a silly question, but you haven't by any chance put painite in "ignore" list, have you?

Sorry if I make a silly question, but you haven't by any chance put painite in "ignore" list, have you?

Fair question, but no, that is the first thing I checked.

@Snowymonk I have my doubts, considering that a single hotspot has yielded exactly ZERO painite, which suggests I'm doing something wrong. If it just yielded a small amount, your advice would be more useful, but something is not right with what's happening here. I can't imagine a double hotspot would take me from NO painite to 10 tons in 30 minutes.

Are your prospecting every moving asteroid and getting no painite content? o_O. That's super odd, unless you're not actually in a hotspot I can't think of anything else (not implying that you aren't, btw). Following this just because I'm curious if it gets figured out.

@Snowymonk Welp, I shouldn't have doubted you, because I did what you said and instantly found tons of painite. It seems the difference between a double hotspot and a single hotspot is ALL the painite compared to NO painite. No idea why, but thanks for the tip.

Are your prospecting every moving asteroid and getting no painite content? o_O. That's super odd, unless you're not actually in a hotspot I can't think of anything else (not implying that you aren't, btw). Following this just because I'm curious if it gets figured out.

To answer your question, I can't see any possible way I could be mistaken. I scan a ring, it says "painite hotspot" and I fly into it. I quit using prospector limpets after literally using about 115 of them and seeing NO painite and switched to just lasering asteroids and checking the fragments that came off. I'm completely befuddled why a regular painite hotspot has NOTHING, and the first double hotspot I checked, basically every asteroid has painite.

I'm completely befuddled why a regular painite hotspot has NOTHING, and the first double hotspot I checked, basically every asteroid has painite.
It's just the beauty of RNG. I can't count how many threads just like this one there have been, claiming that something has changed or that there is no "xxxxx" where it's supposed to be. You upped your odds by finding a double hotspot, that's all it is.

I'm completely befuddled why a regular painite hotspot has NOTHING, and the first double hotspot I checked, basically every asteroid has painite.

when that happens just jump out of the ring and then back in
Last time when that happened to me was in Colonia on my alt trying to get osmium - rng was really bad on me...

It's just the beauty of RNG. I can't count how many threads just like this one there have been, claiming that something has changed or that there is no "xxxxx" where it's supposed to be. You upped your odds by finding a double hotspot, that's all it is.

I would agree if it weren't for the fact that I checked probably 15 different hotspots in 15 different systems and saw not even one fragment of painite. That's beyond bad RNG. Then jumping into a double suddenly means basically every asteroid has painite in it? Sounds more like a bug or me doing something wrong.

BTW, does "pristine reserves" mean anything anymore? I've noticed rings no longer have that info in the system map, though things like high metal content worlds do (which obviously means nothing for the player, since we can't land on most of those).

Single hotspots don't increase the odds of finding painite by much. You want a double, like the one in Hip 21991.
If you havent found panite yet I can confirm this hip 121991 farmed last night got about 100 in just over and hour. There is a double hotspot in ring 1 a but you have to look carefull as they are so close they look like a single hotspot.

Just recently had this same problem finding 10 painted for the unlock.
The single hotshots yielded ZERO painite which I ran over 4 different spots.

I eventually (after a bit of youtube searching) dropped into a Hazardous Extraction Site in a Painite spot and hit a 49% Painte rock on the first prospector.

Fair play to all the youtubers with their guides but unfortunately most of them are obsolete due to fdevs ongoing screwing around with mining.

Top Bottom