Need help with Odyssey graphics issue (plants look horrendous)

Hi,

I was really disappointed with the launch of Odyssey and decided to let it sit for a while and try again after a few patches.

Yesterday I started it up again (in VR) and noticed horrible performance and really bad looking planets.
I closed VR and started it without, performance was meh, the planets looked the same.

I know there is a lot of talk about bad performance, but my machine should be able to handle it, here are the specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X
16GB ram at 3200MHz
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC

I ran everything at stock clocks.

Updating the graphics driver didn't help (version 471.11 is installed) and I even deleted Elite Dangerous and reinstalled it.
No changes.

In VR (Valve Index) I get 45fps on the VR medium preset with no upscaling at all. This is sitting in empty space.
When going down to a planet (or god forbid a station) it struggles with that.
In Horizons I was able to set it to VR Ultra with 1.25-1.5x HMD setting, depending on where I was while getting 90fps.

Do any of you have an idea what I can try to improve this?

Thanks and o7

Attachments

• 20210703093503_1.jpg
    20210703093503_1.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210703093507_1.jpg
    20210703093507_1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 98
play horizon's instead:rolleyes:
this is a well known issue and fixes are not due till the console release is released apparently...……….
Basically thats the word as to when its due to be sorted by afaik

Yeah, I was afraid to get that answer.
But the way the plant looks in the screenshot is not a bit poorly optimized, but rather completely broken?
And it's not just that one single planet, it's been all that I visited (admittedly not that many, was not having too much fun, so I stopped after a while)

yup broken since alpha pretty much
the only thing being to delete the gpuworktable.xml(products folder) to ensure its not a cache thing (cant tell from a still)

thats the worst of it, the planet eventually spawned but not without a restart
then during last weekly community load > reload grind the planet surface took a long time to spawn so yup

Top Bottom