New App being developed - Interactive maps for *every* Odyssey settlement type

If you do manage to find two locations with identical layouts (of buildings etc) but have different locations of say, a dataport, that would be extremely helpful in disproving my belief, and have to rethink. Please let me know if you come across such a thing.
Here you go. If Disemboweled Ego is correct and placement is tied to security levels (which I didn't think of before, so worth investigating), you'd be looking at three different versions per layout. Then again it could be just RNG or tied to different factors.

Source: https://youtu.be/yT0oIlHOus0

This looks very useful, I think the idea of eventually including a wireframe technical style drawing of the settlements layouts would be great. Will definitely keep an eye on this.

Good with and most Excellent. This will be very useful even with basic layouts.
Especially for Flimley like Flimleys who wander around endlessly with no sense of direction.

Flimley
Seconded…
This could be useful for those like me with bad memories or don’t often do the ground based gameplay and don’t want to waste time wandering around the settlement like a lost soul :)

Hello Commanders.

I am developing this app and am at a point where I can share a preview to garner feedback and levels of interest.

There are currently only 2 working maps, but the rest of the app is 'feature complete' (at least for version 1) and so I think you can get a good idea how a version with a complete set of maps will look.

You can see the preview at https://www.quizengine.co.uk/odyssey_helper/ody_settlements_preview_01.003.html

I have asked for (a tiny bit of) Frontier's help to speed development, but have yet to hear back if they are able to share the info that will help me.

Looking forward to your feedback, comments and questions.

CMDR Quizengine
Wow! My sincere greetings to a colleague
I'm working on Odyssey planetary settlements mapping project since the very first day of alpha (oh, for more than a year already). However after initial data acquisition and some consideration about underlying "procedural" game mechanics involved I've decided that the "screenshot-based map" approach is not sufficient in that case - in contrast with the "legacy" (static) Horizons settlements.
Reasons:

1) Building interiors - not really appropriate to represent them with screenshots

2) While legacy (horizons) settlements are just a set of absolutely static models, those in Odyssey are quite different - we have 28 layout generation templates that produce results with a degree of variation (both of procedural/persistent nature using template-supplied rules + final instance-dependent RNG touch in the limits of the result of previous operation, and all of that to a degree affected by other factors - security/state...).

As far as I understand technically only general layout - walls - is truly static inside the given generation template.

Most (if not all) interactive objects - ports/switches/lockers/med-energy boxes and points/explosive barrels/etc - at least technically could be placed differently in the resulted layout (or just simply absent/present) based on the same template. I could only assume that those objects can have a limited set of possible locations (and for some functionally "important" objects those "sets" can degenerate to only one single possibility in case of particular templates). So not only data ports (DPs) can appear/disappear/change placement from one settlement to another having the same template, but even Settlements Alarms Console (SAC) switch has been documented as been placed differently - different rooms but of the same area - in case of some particular layouts. De facto this could be (or at least was) illustrated with at some period earlier frequent generation bug when a 2-cell sized prop is superimposed with different 1-cell size prop on a 2-cell size "placeholder".

Also I can suppose that even purely "decorative" content is not always "nailed" for a given template (as it was in my initial assumption). A have a case that needs rechecking to be sure, but once I've stumbled that the entire content of the room have been noticeably changed based on the same generation template - a hangar with boxes/lockers replaced with the same hangar but with an SRV wreck.

So I've decide to take a way more "hard" way to draw maps of the Odyssey settlements - fully reassembling them using vector graphics (an example of my work could be found in this post)
Thanks for the feedback. You're right that one danger is that there is randomisation in settlement layouts. Certainly the contents of lockers etc has that. But my experience in the last year with Odyssey has me believing that I have 'learned' some settlement layouts and that they don't vary. Yes, there are some that are similar but different, but my belief right now is that there are a fixed number of layouts, and the assets I am logging (terminals / dataports / doors etc) don't change between instances of each layout. I'm open minded though, and am ready to recognise if I am wrong.

As I've said above, static are only layout templates, but results generated upon them can vary. Since alpha I've already visited few hundreds of different settlements, sometimes spending not hours, but days to record/collect matches and differences with "sister" layouts. Contents of those lockers is another story - it's an instance dependent product of RNG that in case is limited by coefficients generated on the base of the template and also affected by other parameters (like security/state).
so definitely
Data Ports do move even in the same layout (there are 28 settlement layouts as I'm sure you know).
You know, at the present moment I do have at least one documented location for each of 27 different/"unique" layout templates, including:
5 Agricultural
5 Extraction
4 High-Tech
5 Industrial
5 Military
3 Tourism
27 in total, and the last - 28th - remains still undiscovered by me=) And I'm still looking for it

There is a tendency for all settlements in a system to share data port locations (not always), but they certainly differ between systems more than within. PWR ones are good examples - there are 5 locations (from memory) for the ports (and a maximum of 2 actually present). Plus ofc the High tech settlements with 2 SEC ports (which are probably a bigger issue for you - PWR ports are always in the PWR building, so at the resolution of your map the difference is not visible - but the SEC ports can also be in LAB buildings, which will be visible).

Might also be worth documenting the location of the 'cage' thing used for Protect missions. I believe this is fixed per layout.

Oh, and if you could come up with a naming convention for the layouts - we really lack that (e.g. there is one layout that had issues with switching off fires, but identifying it is a pain - "the one with the central street with habs on both sides and the bar at the end next to the PWR building" is quite long-winded :) Shame many have the same landing pad layout as that makes automatic recognition from journals problematic :(

Anyway, have fun!
Yeah, I suppose that original naming is "something + economy + template_number_inside_given_economy" (I do remember bug reports referring that approach). Now we have size (only 3 gradations) and security (I think that the latter does not affect the template itself, only imposed on generation "rules")
I've thought about making something like this too, but it's a lot of effort.

Screenshots aren't super useful and ideally you'd eventually be able to make layered vector graphics floor plans for every settlement. (some of the larger hi tech/agri places are just a huge indoors maze with one exit)

• It'd be useful to have the buildings/areas laid out in the same way as they are on the terminal console (with icons)
  • An overlay with the different areas (proc/lab/cmd etc) would be useful for quickly learning where the good loot lockers area.
  • Potential medkit/energy cell spawn locations could be useful for larger settlements
  • Atmosphere console locations and outside atmosphere panels could be useful for stealth and putting out fires during restore power missions.
  • "Monster closet" locations where new enemies spawn in if the alarm is triggered could also be useful to have
  • I think (based on interpreting patch notes) patrol routes and enemy spawns aren't random so with a major effort you could also try to document those.

There's also some combat zone specific stuff like dropship drop locations, potential capture point locations and defence emplacement locations.

Alarm console locations might not be random but might depend on the security level of the settlement - the same layout can spawn in different variations of security which affects the security level for doors.
Heh, good question what do really depends on security/threat level. For sure it defines the rank of NPC security guards (except special ones)

Oh, and if you could come up with a naming convention for the layouts - we really lack that (e.g. there is one layout that had issues with switching off fires, but identifying it is a pain - "the one with the central street with habs on both sides and the bar at the end next to the PWR building" is quite long-winded :) Shame many have the same landing pad layout as that makes automatic recognition from journals problematic :(
The first step to that is to break it down further by size as shown in the ship nav panel (+, ++). I haven't done the full work of enumerating those, but think that way you end up with only a minimal amount of overlap with probably only an A/B variation for each size of settlement. I think its mostly the case that there's only 1 variation of medium/large settlement for every category and many small layouts.

Also for making floor plans - there's repetition across settlements and settlement types, everything is built out of blocks/prefabs/rooms.

You don't actually need to draw a floorplan of everything, just the building blocks, fairly sure they just snap together on a grid too. Maybe you can trick one of the lego people to build an odyssey settlement.

Wow! My sincere greetings to a colleague
I'm working on Odyssey planetary settlements mapping project since the very first day of alpha (oh, for more than a year already). However after initial data acquisition and some consideration about underlying "procedural" game mechanics involved I've decided that the "screenshot-based map" approach is not sufficient in that case - in contrast with the "legacy" (static) Horizons settlements.
Reasons:

1) Building interiors - not really appropriate to represent them with screenshots

2) While legacy (horizons) settlements are just a set of absolutely static models, those in Odyssey are quite different - we have 28 layout generation templates that produce results with a degree of variation (both of procedural/persistent nature using template-supplied rules + final instance-dependent RNG touch in the limits of the result of previous operation, and all of that to a degree affected by other factors - security/state...).

As far as I understand technically only general layout - walls - is truly static inside the given generation template.

Most (if not all) interactive objects - ports/switches/lockers/med-energy boxes and points/explosive barrels/etc - at least technically could be placed differently in the resulted layout (or just simply absent/present) based on the same template. I could only assume that those objects can have a limited set of possible locations (and for some functionally "important" objects those "sets" can degenerate to only one single possibility in case of particular templates). So not only data ports (DPs) can appear/disappear/change placement from one settlement to another having the same template, but even Settlements Alarms Console (SAC) switch has been documented as been placed differently - different rooms but of the same area - in case of some particular layouts. De facto this could be (or at least was) illustrated with at some period earlier frequent generation bug when a 2-cell sized prop is superimposed with different 1-cell size prop on a 2-cell size "placeholder".

Also I can suppose that even purely "decorative" content is not always "nailed" for a given template (as it was in my initial assumption). A have a case that needs rechecking to be sure, but once I've stumbled that the entire content of the room have been noticeably changed based on the same generation template - a hangar with boxes/lockers replaced with the same hangar but with an SRV wreck.

So I've decide to take a way more "hard" way to draw maps of the Odyssey settlements - fully reassembling them using vector graphics (an example of my work could be found in this post)

As I've said above, static are only layout templates, but results generated upon them can vary. Since alpha I've already visited few hundreds of different settlements, sometimes spending not hours, but days to record/collect matches and differences with "sister" layouts. Contents of those lockers is another story - it's an instance dependent product of RNG that in case is limited by coefficients generated on the base of the template and also affected by other parameters (like security/state).
so definitely

You know, at the present moment I do have at least one documented location for each of 27 different/"unique" layout templates, including:
5 Agricultural
5 Extraction
4 High-Tech
5 Industrial
5 Military
3 Tourism
27 in total, and the last - 28th - remains still undiscovered by me=) And I'm still looking for it

Yeah, I suppose that original naming is "something + economy + template_number_inside_given_economy" (I do remember bug reports referring that approach). Now we have size (only 3 gradations) and security (I think that the latter does not affect the template itself, only imposed on generation "rules")

Heh, good question what do really depends on security/threat level. For sure it defines the rank of NPC security guards (except special ones)
Oh that life need be so complicated!!

Thanks for the very detailed response. It'll take me a while to digest this all and give it its full due.

Much of my thinking about the 'clockwork' galaxy was thinking about what was convenient / efficient / workable / reliable for the programmers. If your assessment of how this all works is correct, I've badly underestimated how fiendish the game builders have been, and the challenge for me (and you) is much greater.

Much more investigation in my own future it seems :)

5 Agricultural
5 Extraction
4 High-Tech
5 Industrial
5 Military
3 Tourism
You're missing a Tourist one - (there are 5 of some and 4 of the others). These are the Tourist ones (sorry, not very good). The bottom 2 have the same pads so look the same in journals.

1651855845777.png

security (I think that the latter does not affect the template itself, only imposed on generation "rules")
Correct - though the security does affect the items that drop - certainly from data ports. SDP drop rates from H++ are the highest, though confusingly H+ and M++ are both good. And if you go as low as an L rating you will rarely even find a SEC port at all. I think you also get better drops of things in lockers, but I don't have data for that so it may not be true.

Edit: Sorry OP - a bit OT for your thread.

You're missing a Tourist one - (there are 5 of some and 4 of the others). These are the Tourist ones (sorry, not very good). The bottom 2 have teh same pads so look the same in journals.

View attachment 305474
Genial! Thanks - in fact I haven't so far encountered the top-right variation. If you have coordinates....=)))

The first step to that is to break it down further by size as shown in the ship nav panel (+, ++). I haven't done the full work of enumerating those, but think that way you end up with only a minimal amount of overlap with probably only an A/B variation for each size of settlement. I think its mostly the case that there's only 1 variation of medium/large settlement for every category and many small layouts.

Also for making floor plans - there's repetition across settlements and settlement types, everything is built out of blocks/prefabs/rooms.

You don't actually need to draw a floorplan of everything, just the building blocks, fairly sure they just snap together on a grid too. Maybe you can trick one of the lego people to build an odyssey settlement.
Well, Odyssey settlements could only be ""(0),"+"(1) or "++" sizes - only 3 gradations (lets say tiny/small/medium), while sizes for Horizons have 4 gradation (0,1,2,3).
I suppose that those "sizes" are products derived from some hidden parameters. Taking that we have up to 5 templates per economy for Odyssey settlements this "size" property doesn't fully define them (and security doesn't affect settlements "visuals")

Correct - though the security does affect the items that drop - certainly from data ports. SDP drop rates from H++ are the highest, though confusingly H+ and M++ are both good. And if you go as low as an L rating you will rarely even find a SEC port at all. I think you also get better drops of things in lockers, but I don't have data for that so it may not be true.

Edit: Sorry OP - a bit OT for your thread.
so far I could not prove - or disapprove - dependency between security and presence of certain interactive items (ports or else), but assumption about influence on the drop "quality" is sensible. Probably this takes place on the same level as where assigned missions could affect resulting drop. However I'm so far more on the mapping part and not at all good in qualitative/quantitative analysis for the resulting drop - probably sometime in the future investigations=)
Bueckardt's Bridge in Buzhang Ku (from memory). There are a few in that system. Edit: Well, I'm sure there is at least one. Very probably that one :)
Thank you! Adding it to my ToDo list

So not only data ports (DPs) can appear/disappear/change placement from one settlement to another having the same template, but even Settlements Alarms Console (SAC) switch has been documented as been placed differently - different rooms but of the same area - in case of some particular layouts.
I haven't kept notes, but I think it goes even further than that. I'm pretty sure most panels and other assets can move around, up to and including atmospheric pressure panels, medical/battery cases, et cetera. One thing I'm also going to check due to this thread are the various containment units (synthesis/environmental/catalyst/sample), because even though I'm not too sure if they move around as such, I do have this vague recollection that the designation might change from layout to layout (for instance what's a sample containment unit in one layout, might be a synthesis something unit in the other).
Yes, I believe that's a specific EXT-building where the docking area can either hold a few random non-functional crates or (very rarely) an SRV wreck.

so far I could not prove - or disapprove - dependency between security and presence of certain interactive items (ports or else), but assumption about influence on the drop "quality" is sensible.
I need to publish and update to this post as it looks at SDP drop rates at different SEC levels as I've done a few more scans since then.

I haven't kept notes, but I think it goes even further than that. I'm pretty sure most panels and other assets can move around, up to and including atmospheric pressure panels, medical/battery cases, et cetera. One thing I'm also going to check due to this thread are the various containment units (synthesis/environmental/catalyst/sample), because even though I'm not too sure if they move around as such, I do have this vague recollection that the designation might change from layout to layout (for instance what's a sample containment unit in one layout, might be a synthesis something unit in the other).
In fact I believe that I have in my notes recorded cases when containment units were placed differently inside the same layouts - and logically I don't see the reason "why not" =)
Imo It's a bit too early in my case to speak about statistics as the distribution of different templates across the habitable galaxy is... complicated. I.e. even after hundreds of visited settlements I have, for example, records about dozens locations of the biggest military layout and only one(!) record about one another particular "monobuilding" military base. As with the case of one agricultural layout and the most recent tourism addition that I have directed to by other commanders.

I.e. even after hundreds of visited settlements I have, for example, records about dozens locations of the biggest military layout and only one(!) record about one another particular "monobuilding" military base. As with the case of one agricultural layout and the most recent tourism addition that I have directed to by other commanders.
Do you mean the one with the hectagonal/circular enclosure and one of those Tourism HAB-buildings with the bar? That one is rare indeed.

Do you mean the one with the hectagonal/circular enclosure and one of those Tourism HAB-buildings with the bar? That one is rare indeed.
Hm, nope - for that one I have at least 3 well documented cases. The other one that have not enclosure at all and only one pressurized building (CMD+HAB in one) while being "+" size

Hm, nope - for that one I have at least 3 well documented cases. The other one that have not enclosure at all and only one pressurized building (CMD+HAB in one) while being "+" size
Yeah - that one is the rarest I think (y). And most annoying as Military with no SEC

1651859872658.png

Yep, I can't recall seeing that one at all either.
Yeah - that one is the rarest I think (y). And most annoying as Military with no SEC

View attachment 305487
Yeah, exactly this one. Even worse - the only time I've stumbled upon one it was on the dark side of the planet. Due to this I haven't spend too much time there, but that probably the only settlement where I haven't see any civilian (non-military) specialists

Top Bottom