New App being developed - Interactive maps for *every* Odyssey settlement type

Is the tool offline? DNS can't seem to solve the domain and acess the website. Checked with ICANN and got the following: "No registry RDAP server was identified for this domain. "

Is the tool offline? DNS can't seem to solve the domain and acess the website. Checked with ICANN and got the following: "No registry RDAP server was identified for this domain. "
I'm sorry to say that this seems to be country dependent. One of the people in my Squadron resides in Hungary and they cannot access my site. I also had another user in Romania contact me to say the same.

My Squadron-mate in Hungary suspects that ISPs in his part of the world (closer to the conflict in Ukraine) are 'managing' what sites can be reached to preserve bandwidth for other more important services???

If you are not in, or close to that area, perhaps ask your ISP why you are not able to access the site?

If all of this fails you, I could seek to get you an offline version of the app. Let me know.

Maybe they can try a straight IP address instead of a DNS lookup, that is presuming that it has a fixed IP address.
I tried that, but the server my domain is on is a shared server and as such doesn't have a unique IP.
Nice job. I've added your app launch page to my list of Elite Dangerous bookmarks.

Thanks!
Cool. Have fun, and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Maybe they can try a straight IP address instead of a DNS lookup, that is presuming that it has a fixed IP address.
I did think that it's maybe the DNS server that is blocking the address, so maybe the solution is to force your computer into using a different DNS server.

I Googled the problem and found this:

someway down the page is a fix for Windows that reads

You can do it on Windows with PowerShell:
Add-DnsClientNrptRule -Namespace "pqr.com" -NameServers "10.0.0.1"
Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsclient/add-dnsclientnrptrule?view=win10-ps

Where you would change pqr.com to quizengine.co.uk and change 10.0.0.1 to the IP address of your preferred DNS (Google's is 8.8.8.8)

Yeah, didn't work in Brazil, even with the article you mentioned. Good luck nonetheless
Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea why that should be. But that doesn't help you (and others in that place).

So FOR ANYONE who struggles to access the version at www.quizengine.co.uk/omg I have placed an offline version on Github

A very useful tool and I look forward to the blueprint version. A couple of things I’m sure you have already considered but may as well mention:
1) tips should be made into tooltips so the map is still visible. The highlighted tip appears on mouse hover or click
2) dataport potential locations.

Interestingly, I visited the same settlement twice over a week and recorded the OMG type - it was different 2nd visit. Is it possible for layouts to change?

A very useful tool and I look forward to the blueprint version. A couple of things I’m sure you have already considered but may as well mention:
1) tips should be made into tooltips so the map is still visible. The highlighted tip appears on mouse hover or click
2) dataport potential locations.

Interestingly, I visited the same settlement twice over a week and recorded the OMG type - it was different 2nd visit. Is it possible for layouts to change?
Thanks for the positive comments.

I actually hadn't thought to make the tips into tooltips. I like that idea i) because it keeps the map visible, and ii) I can create multiple tips where appropriate. I'll make a 'tips and tricks' icon and implement that idea. Thanks!

The very first version of the app did have dataport locations. I mistakenly believed that their positions were fixed. They aren't. There is some RNG shenanigans with dataports and NPC type / location which is why the tips and tricks aren't always correct. I probably think it's sufficient to help players get an L3 scan and show them terminal locations. With an L3 scan, all the dataport locations are yours to see on the terminal.

I'm not aware that settlement types can change. I do have an extensive log of settlement locations / types so I'll get around to testing that.

Ooooo. I just got a shiver down my spine - a possible future of OMG... I've been messing with a journal reader (https://github.com/willyb321/elite-journal) and it turns out in the journal there is an event called 'ApproachSettlement' that triggers from the game. If OMG (or a support app) could scan for those events, then there is at least the possibility that each time you approach a settlement, OMG would bring up that settlement layout on your second screen automatically - how cool would that be!! No promises, but this is my next dev idea.

BTW - any devs or community managers reading this - I would be super grateful for any dev who can help me decode the 'MarketID' tag of this event - I'm assuming this would point to which of the 28 settlement types you are approaching? Happy to be taught differently if you want to help / support the development of this app.

IDK, for me, there are tools, like Ed Discovery, that make sense and are useful when exploring or trying to see which missions i have cleared or completed and many many other uses.

This, giving the map away and poi`s on it, knowing immediately where all poi are, not for me. I like to try to find an access point, or gain L3 sec to find out specifics on a settlement, there is a certain risk, suspense that comes with it, there are only a limited number of layouts and configurations if its not here its going to be there kinda situation, once you have L3 clearance its pretty much a done deal anyway.

Good luck with it, but not my cup of tea.

IDK, for me, there are tools, like Ed Discovery, that make sense and are useful when exploring or trying to see which missions i have cleared or completed and many many other uses.

This, giving the map away and poi`s on it, knowing immediately where all poi are, not for me. I like to try to find an access point, or gain L3 sec to find out specifics on a settlement, there is a certain risk, suspense that comes with it, there are only a limited number of layouts and configurations if its not here its going to be there kinda situation, once you have L3 clearance its pretty much a done deal anyway.

Good luck with it, but not my cup of tea.
Thanks for the feedback CMDR.

I appreciate the danger of removing the mystery, and often I will do settlement missions without 'help' to have more fun. But I am now a very experienced settlement completer and I like that challenge. But at the start of this path I died a lot and was often disheartened by having a headless chicken run around settlements. My wish is to help those people who were in my earlier position. Indeed I would take my goal to be to help them to a place where they no longer require help and can play well without OMG.

Thanks for the positive wishes too :)

Thanks for the feedback CMDR.

I appreciate the danger of removing the mystery, and often I will do settlement missions without 'help' to have more fun. But I am now a very experienced settlement completer and I like that challenge. But at the start of this path I died a lot and was often disheartened by having a headless chicken run around settlements. My wish is to help those people who were in my earlier position. Indeed I would take my goal to be to help them to a place where they no longer require help and can play well without OMG.

Thanks for the positive wishes too :)
Its cool, its good that people are still putting the effort into EDO, I guess if it keeps people interested for longer can only be a good thing. Although, running around like a headless chicken and getting obliterated a few times is all part of the learning curve :)

Edit - To add, it took me a nearly a week to realise i could turn on a shield in the Mav and wasnt only limited to the Dominator ;)
Lotsa deaths :)

Last edited:
Can an IND Type 1 settlement have different numbers of guards depending on the threat and security level?
Would there be a use in putting guards on the map, maybe with a patrol zone?

My MO is generally to seek out the guards near to the alarm building, take these out before getting my L3 profile and storming the alarms. A map would be the ideal way to se placement of guard patrols close to the bldg in question.

Can an IND Type 1 settlement have different numbers of guards depending on the threat and security level?
Would there be a use in putting guards on the map, maybe with a patrol zone?

My MO is generally to seek out the guards near to the alarm building, take these out before getting my L3 profile and storming the alarms. A map would be the ideal way to se placement of guard patrols close to the bldg in question.
Interesting idea. I'm still a long way from understanding which elements of a settlement (NPC placement / paths) are decided, and which are RNG. I'd not thought to use the sec / threat level to see if they impact anything. I'll bear that in mind.

Thanks for the feedback
BTW - did you see in 1.1 you have credit for the 'tooltips' idea for 'tips and tricks' :)

Top Bottom