New CMDR, Need To Make CR

As returning player and have not played for over a year. Coming back to game play and knowing the starter ship has very limited capabilities to accomplish missions. What would you recommend I do to earn "CR" at the start. Now that I am coming back to a fresh start character. What missions can I do with the "sidewinder" and "hauler"?

If you are starting with a sidewinder, I'd recommend going to a high res and to follow the system authority ships to get a few potshots in before they kill a ship. As soon as you can add the kill warrant scanner, it will give you plenty of money and some fun pew pew. :)

Once you can afford a Hauler with A-rated FSD and a DSS, you can go on the Road to Riches and scan/map water planets.

You can do that until you can afford an AspX with laser mining equipment and from there you'll be a billionaire in no time.

It's not very exciting, but you could help load my FC with wine for a profit of 900Cr per ton - I'm parked in orbit with a supply station in the Niaba system.
Low effort, cheap buy in and solid pay for a solid day's work :)

As returning player and have not played for over a year. Coming back to game play and knowing the starter ship has very limited capabilities to accomplish missions. What would you recommend I do to earn "CR" at the start. Now that I am coming back to a fresh start character. What missions can I do with the "sidewinder" and "hauler"?
I begun with trading back in December 2014. :)

Once you can afford a Hauler with A-rated FSD and a DSS, you can go on the Road to Riches and scan/map water planets.

You can do that until you can afford an AspX with laser mining equipment and from there you'll be a billionaire in no time.
Second that. If the payout explosion in exo-bio finally settles on better prices for re-discoveries, I'd also try the new Road to Riches as well: https://www.spansh.co.uk/exobiology

Plenty of accurate advice above for "you want to make hundreds of millions of credits very quickly". If you're just looking for a bit of money to upgrade your Sidewinder above E-rated, see below.

Basic courier missions don't take any cargo space, so they can be done in any ship, and you can fit a bit of normal trade cargo in alongside them. Once you've got a bit of capital saved up, Extraction economies currently have the best exports in most cases.

Surface salvage missions - assuming you have an SRV - are also fairly straightforward and can be done with that sort of capacity, as can some of the surface scan missions. Space salvage missions also don't require carrying much cargo - but they can involve combat that might be a bit beyond a hauler, especially if you're out of practice.

On the non-mission side, make sure to scan systems with the FSS as you arrive in them rather than using the nav beacon - on the scale of Sidewinders that will add up quite quickly.

If you have Odyssey, none of the missions in that require a ship above a Sidewinder, and most don't technically require a ship at all - though your basic flight suit will only really do package delivery unless you're very good at FPS combat. Once you have the money to upgrade out of a flight suit, low-intensity surface combat zones pay reasonably well when done on foot (rather less well in a stock Sidewinder)

I did data courier missions and supply/delivery (cargo) missions

I gradually moved from Sidewinder to Adder, then Type-6, Krait Mk2 and so on (one toon)
on another toon i went Sidewinder, Cobra Mk3, AspX, Krait Mk2, Python

It's not very exciting, but you could help load my FC with wine for a profit of 900Cr per ton - I'm parked in orbit with a supply station in the Niaba system.
Low effort, cheap buy in and solid pay for a solid day's work :)
Haha, nice try...
He could also wait for the next holiday in the system and can sell the wine for more than 900+ per ton ;)

If you like danger -> Go and hunt bad guys (by ship, by foot ro both)
If you like peace and freedom -> Go exploring and get some bio samples
If you like to be lazy -> Start trading. Search a Loop Route for trading. Make some millions, buy a bigger ship and so on.
If you like to be dirty and drifting from rock to rock -> Go and start mining.

Hi :)

Good advice already given by other posters.
My suggestion would be to pick a system that is high tech. with a large population. Use that system as a 'base' and get allied with all the factions at the main space station by doing trade and courier missions for them.
Aim to engineer your ship for speed, this will allow you to survive interdictions by pirates etc.
Gradually build up enough credits to either add larger cargo bays to your ship, and / or accumulate enough credits to change your ship/s for something bigger.
If you stick with that system / space station missions trade or otherwise will gradually offer you more well paid missions. You will also get to know what immediate systems in your area of space have various commodities for trade, for example:- High tech starports usually need metals (gold etc.) and minerals (indite, bertrandite etc.) plus other stuff.
So you'll gradually have a good idea of what commodities to trade with for the nearby systems. By trading with nearby systems your ranking will have a positive effect with those systems factions as well, so it all has a knock on effect, your rank increases and missions pay more.

Stacking missions from one starport to another accumulates more credits per trip, but this will attract more interdictions from pirates (hence my advice on a speedy ship).
At some point you will need to seek out the various Engineers to upgrade your modules for speed, jump range and weaponry (if you decide to go on the offensive missions etc.)
How you progress is up to you, as others have stated, you can do exploration, trade, combat, mining plus other various means to progress through the game.

Good Luck! :)

Jack :)

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Yuri Grom’s headquarter system is worth almost 10 million credits if you scan (fss plus dss the high value planets). If you have no cargo then it is a completely safe way to make 10 million in a half an hour from a starter ship but you do need to have that ‘detailed surface scanner’ on board. It’s been a while so please correct me if he moved or his system is not super valuable anymore.
(Edit) I think you have to scan all the planets to get the full bonus’s, think it’s only about 7 planets though, so it’s really quick.

Last edited:
As returning player and have not played for over a year.

Get a ship, any ship. Sidewinder will do, but you'd better a-rate at least the fsd and the drives, put fuelscoop and srv, adc and supercruise
pop in any station and get a g1 artemis

now click the picture below, enter the parameters, follow the route and get rich

1670848084524.png

send all your love to FDev & Spansh

I got a new Cmdr (an alt) a few weeks ago, straight into High CZ on foot, raised around 150mil in a week bought a T9 now make easy 50-100mill per visit. I use the account to supplement my FC on my main.

Top Bottom