New Era Delay/Frontiers Puts Absolutely No Effort Into Meaningful Public Relations. OVER IT!!!

I don't mind the delay but I find it overwhelmingly FRUSTRATING and ANNOYING that Frontier won't inform the player base of what they are working on.
(We are almost half way through 2020 what gives!!!)
I have personally taken a break from the game and won't return until they cough up.
There is no Galnet or player interaction with community goals and no updated lore but yet they can work on other games, they should at lest have the decency to inform the player base of what they are working on if they are not going to bother keeping the game interesting in the mean time.
Frontier's public relations is a joke!
Rant Over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind the delay but I find it overwhelmingly FRUSTRATING and ANNOYING that Frontier won't inform the player base of what they are working on.
I have personally taken a break from the game and won't return until they cough up.
There is no Galnet or player interaction with community goals and no updated lore but yet they can work on other games, they should at lest have the decency to inform the player base of what they are working on if they are not going to bother keeping the game interesting in the mean time.
Rant Over.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

That's like, the opposite of good PR though.

I agree with the core idea of what the OP is saying though (perhaps less so with how it's worded). There hasn't been an exciting content update in years now, with FC's being a massive step backwards, and a worrying sign of what may come, more than anything.

For me, Elite has been running on hope for a good while now, and this hope is getting harder to maintain with each week, especially when what little new is added is handled so poorly. While I've always been a bit on and off with elite, each time I return the game loses my interest quicker and quicker, as the realization that the only real means of progressing is still just a grind.

So yeah, while I don't speak for everyone, my personal interest has been fleeting since horizons. Knowing a bit more of what's to come in the upcoming update would do wonders to reinvigorate the hope that has kept me in the game so far.

And the longer frontier chooses to maintain their policy of silence, the more this hope is replaced with worry. Realistically, if I were to use the last few years to estimate of what's to come, I'd assume that the next era will be a massive disappointment.

Tl;dr: fdev needs to be more open with what they've been working on, as for years now, I've seen nothing but reason to worry.

Completely agree with Garel, I have been gone from the game for some time now (Hoping for something to entice me back). And having virtually no communication for very long periods of time, isn't a good way to keep players and or entice players such as myself to return. FC's are a joke of an update, catering for around 5% of the players, the upkeep is a full tie job, sorry got one of those, do not need another. Elite used to be fun, now its a chore, so until it shows its fun side again. I won't be adding it to the chore list of the day, there are any more interesting games currently that are more appealing which is a shame, because Elite could of been so much more than it currently is.

** I work for a games company and if we were this silent we would be DOA for any coming titles. Continuous community interaction is paramount from at the least the Community manager and if not some of the Dev's. It makes a huge impression to the community when there are comments here and there from Developers or the CM.

I suspect that Frontier has a communication plan, and we do know that it will be rolled out as per the original schedule, though as we don't know the original schedule (other than Fleet Cariers have to be done and dusted) that's not really saying much.

Deleted member 38366

D
As usual (especially with the added delay)...
  • publish a rough outlook (so your customers don't have to rely on leaks or other information sources)
  • publish some Alpha footage where feasible
  • publish some concept art
Little tidbits. It's not hard. No reason not to and many reasons to do so.
Never understood that communication policy of total silence, it benefits noone but has drastic negative consequences over time.
(oh, and for once there's a Livestream opportunity that I'm sure would get more than the usual few viewers... something worth seeing)

Rant Over.
I think everyone would love more communication.

I also think it would be a lot healthier for you personally if you chilled out a bit and didn't get so worked up and angry about a game.

As usual (especially with the added delay)...
  • publish a rough outlook (so your customers don't have to rely on leaks or other information sources)
  • publish some Alpha footage where feasible
  • publish some concept art
Little tidbits. It's not hard. No reason not to and many reasons to do so.
Never understood that communication policy of total silence, it benefits noone but has drastic negative consequences over time.
(oh, and for once there's a Livestream opportunity that I'm sure would get more than the usual few viewers... something worth seeing)
They are still probably not sure what is going to end up on the cutting room floor. They have released tidbits previously and then not added them. Ice planets, fleet carrier support ships...

I could see it working if a project is constantly updated and tweaked, if the progress done is obvious. Announcing updates shortly before they're ready for release can be a good way of managing expectations, and assuring that promised content matches what is given.

That being said, when the game had a whole lot of nothing, and a few major steps back in several years, it absolutely does more harm than good, suggesting that the game is either mostly abandoned, or that upcoming content will be nowhere near meeting player expectations and hopes.

I suspect that Frontier has a communication plan, and we do know that it will be rolled out as per the original schedule, though as we don't know the original schedule (other than Fleet Cariers have to be done and dusted) that's not really saying much.
The original schedule is news coming this Summer:
However, we can only announce the content when it’s at the right stage of development, we estimate this will be ready to talk about at some time in summer 2020, after the Fleet Carriers update.

Rant Over.

Totally understand your frustration, but two things:

First, they've had to pull features back in the past as they've run into development issues, so it makes sense to hold off until they have a feature lock.

Second, many devs hold off describing features before they are ready because they're competing against other companies and don't want someone else implementing their own concepts before they do.

An example of this in No Man's Sky - we typically only know what's coming a few days before release if even then.

On the flip side, it would be nice to know "generally" what the update is going to contain, but again it's not unusual for this info to be held to just before release.

Deleted member 38366

D
They are still probably not sure what is going to end up on the cutting room floor. They have released tidbits previously and then not added them. Ice planets, fleet carrier support ships...

True, but these tidbits were still generally well-received despite having no "will be implemented in Vx.x" Data given.
It gave back a tiny wee bit of the Dev Diaries feeling IMHO. Good stuff.

I could see it working if a project is constantly updated and tweaked, if the progress done is obvious. Announcing updates shortly before they're ready for release can be a good way of managing expectations, and assuring that promised content matches what is given.

That being said, when the game had a whole lot of nothing, and a few major steps back in several years, it absolutely does more harm than good, suggesting that the game is either mostly abandoned, or that upcoming content will be nowhere near meeting player expectations and hopes.

Yeah... after very long stretches of "we're excited but can't talk about it" I basically don't expect any updates for some Game.
I rather expect footage of a brand new "skunk works" Military Aircraft, an experimental Weapon System or a new Rocket to launch into Space.
That's "stuff you can't talk about" during development. Some niche Game in the Entertainment Industry though? Not so much ;)

"We know that many of you are eager to hear more about the Next Era of Elite Dangerous and, despite this shift in release date, our schedule to bring you news and details about the future hasn't changed, so keep an eye on all of our channels for more information in the coming months!"

;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

😷

They've told us there will be a major update coming, they've told us they'll start communicating about it this summer. And they've announced that Covid-19 epidemic is going to cause a short delay (of not more than 3 months), but that the communications schedule for it remains unchanged.

What's changed? why the sudden need to rant about this now? Personally speaking, I saving up all my venom and bile for a good old toxic rant after they've told us what it is. It seems it would be bad form not too, after all.

Lack of transparency communicating what they have been working on for over two years now. But using it as an excuse to pull Galnet, Community Goals, Adding Evolving Lore... Etc Etc
They have already that they prefer to communicate what they are planning when they have something to actually show us.

I'm happy to wait and don't need this news and neither do I find it unacceptable. It's just a computer game. My company also doesn't show off what it's working on until it's close to release. It's a pretty standard practice.

Top Bottom