New Era Delay/Frontiers Puts Absolutely No Effort Into Meaningful Public Relations. OVER IT!!!

"We know that many of you are eager to hear more about the Next Era of Elite Dangerous and, despite this shift in release date, our schedule to bring you news and details about the future hasn't changed, so keep an eye on all of our channels for more information in the coming months!"

;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

😷
Considering we don't know what the said schedule is, the statement is literally meaningless.

Totally understand your frustration, but two things:

First, they've had to pull features back in the past as they've run into development issues, so it makes sense to hold off until they have a feature lock.

Second, many devs hold off describing features before they are ready because they're competing against other companies and don't want someone else implementing their own concepts before they do.

An example of this in No Man's Sky - we typically only know what's coming a few days before release if even then.

On the flip side, it would be nice to know "generally" what the update is going to contain, but again it's not unusual for this info to be held to just before release.
Valid points but I would like to point out that NMS has regular updates so the player base there doesn't get frustrated, the opposite in fact the NMS community love Hello Games because of there commitment to the game. Also Hello Games doesn't remove content while creating the next update.
To your other points we don't need to know specifics just generally what they are working on and if it doesn't work out so be it.

Valid points but I would like to point out that NMS has regular updates so the player base there doesn't get frustrated, the opposite in fact the NMS community love Hello Games because of there commitment to the game. Also Hello Games doesn't remove content while creating the next update.
Elite Dangerous has regular updates: every 3-5 months since the game launched in Dec 2014.

CGs, IIs, and Galnet News being nuked is disappointing.

The original schedule is news coming this Summer:
Cheers for that, while I heard the "summer" estimate before, I haven't found the official post before.

That being said, I still think fdev should consider opening up a bit.
I agree 100%
It is almost as if Frontier are afraid of us, most of the community would understand if things didn't work out.
Subjectively if you made up a list of Pro's and Con's the benefits would win out of sharing in a general manner what is been worked on.
Create a bit of a buzz about the game, give us all something to look forward to.

So what will change in your life if they start communicating more? You're not going to enjoy the game any more or less, will you? So what's the point?
The point of PR is to generate more sales. They don't have anything to sell atm which would benefit from more publicity, so why do it?
Again, while I don't speak for everyone,
That's like, the opposite of good PR though.

I agree with the core idea of what the OP is saying though (perhaps less so with how it's worded). There hasn't been an exciting content update in years now, with FC's being a massive step backwards, and a worrying sign of what may come, more than anything.

For me, Elite has been running on hope for a good while now, and this hope is getting harder to maintain with each week, especially when what little new is added is handled so poorly. While I've always been a bit on and off with elite, each time I return the game loses my interest quicker and quicker, as the realization that the only real means of progressing is still just a grind.

So yeah, while I don't speak for everyone, my personal interest has been fleeting since horizons. Knowing a bit more of what's to come in the upcoming update would do wonders to reinvigorate the hope that has kept me in the game so far.

And the longer frontier chooses to maintain their policy of silence, the more this hope is replaced with worry. Realistically, if I were to use the last few years to estimate of what's to come, I'd assume that the next era will be a massive disappointment.

Tl;dr: fdev needs to be more open with what they've been working on, as for years now, I've seen nothing but reason to worry.
This, basically.

I don't mind the delay but I find it overwhelmingly FRUSTRATING and ANNOYING that Frontier won't inform the player base of what they are working on.
Frontier will inform players when the time comes and will show us something when there is something worth showing. Gaming is a business and New Era is just another product made by Frontier. It is up to Frontier's management to decide what and when to announce and when to release it. Elite series started back in 1984, still makes money for Frontier in 2020 and I assume Frontier's management has pretty good idea how to run this kitchen. No reason to be frustrated here.

So what will change in your life if they start communicating more? You're not going to enjoy the game any more or less, will you? So what's the point?
The point of PR is to generate more sales. They don't have anything to sell atm which would benefit from more publicity, so why do it?
Public Relations first point of order in a older game like Elite Dangerous is to retain a player base, then if that is achieved build on the player base by creating more sales.
A lot of people are walking away from the game at the moment due to obvious reasons.
When I buy a new game I always read reviews via Steam or watch a You Tube video and if it is negative in the comments section on YouTube or on Steam I often don't bother buying it. I believe that poor PR on Frontiers part will be hurting its bottom line. (There is a lot of justified criticism on You Tube and other outlets online.)
So the benefits of maintaining a content player base will equate to more sales and a well informed player base is a content one.

Last edited:
They have already that they prefer to communicate what they are planning when they have something to actually show us.

If they have nothing to show us right now nothing will be launched in 2021 either. It's impossible to have 115 devs work for over two years and have nothing to show.

Besides, many would already be elated with a concept pic ones a month to give some sort of indication what they are working towards.

Public Relations first point of order in a older game like Elite Dangerous is to retain a player base, then if that is achieved build on the player base by creating more sales.
A lot of people are walking away from the game at the moment due to obvious reasons.
When I buy a new game I always read reviews via Steam or watch a You Tube video and if it is negative in the comments section on YouTube or on Steam I often don't bother buying it. I believe that poor PR on Frontiers part will be hurting its bottom line. (Sales.)
So the benefits of maintaining a content player base will equate to more sales.
April 2020 was the best month ever for Elite Dangerous on Steam, with a record-high average concurrency.

Top Bottom