New exploration ships

With new exploration changes on the way I really hope that we'll get some new exploration ships along with it. I'd really like to see a medium sized imperial explorer. I love the gutyama stuff but without super super extensive engineering they just can't break a 40LY jump range which is very sad.

But if you are exploring do you really need more than 40ly? Just curious and no I am not an explorer I about gouged my eyes out to unlock Palin.

But if you are exploring do you really need more than 40ly? Just curious and no I am not an explorer I about gouged my eyes out to unlock Palin.

They think so. There is a place called “The Anaconda Graveyard” which can only be reached by one of those 80 ly jumping Anacondas with a Neutron Star overcharge, and there is no way back except to self-destruct.

With new exploration changes on the way I really hope that we'll get some new exploration ships along with it. I'd really like to see a medium sized imperial explorer. I love the gutyama stuff but without super super extensive engineering they just can't break a 40LY jump range which is very sad.

FD don't do 'exploration' ships...only combat vessels.

If it's not pew-pew, it is beyond (no pun intended) FD.

They only have the capacity to think pew-pew, even in an exploration update.

Hell, they're not even going to provide a new rack for the shiny 'new' ADS, which is essentially an SRV in space.

FD don't do 'exploration' ships...only combat vessels.

If it's not pew-pew, it is beyond (no pun intended) FD.

They only have the capacity to think pew-pew, even in an exploration update.

Hell, they're not even going to provide a new rack for the shiny 'new' ADS, which is essentially an SRV in space.

I completely agree, they don't make exploration ships... I mean if they did they would actually named them exploration ships... lets say imaginary names like

Asp Explorer
Diamondback Explorer

maybe one day they will. but as you so correctly said, there is close to zero change

If you want to get anywhere, yes. If you want to get outside of the currently explored area you have to get like 10k LY before you start hitting good long clear stretches of unexplored space.

Personally I don't do any combat in this game. None of my ships even have weapons. I do the occasional passenger mission and trade haul and I like running around the galaxy.

Because I don't do combat I can't even get my FSD above rank 3 engineering, not without days upon days of straight farming crap, which I wont do.

If you want to get anywhere, yes. If you want to get outside of the currently explored area you have to get like 10k LY before you start hitting good long clear stretches of unexplored space.

Personally I don't do any combat in this game. None of my ships even have weapons. I do the occasional passenger mission and trade haul and I like running around the galaxy.

Because I don't do combat I can't even get my FSD above rank 3 engineering, not without days upon days of straight farming crap, which I wont do.

Getting to Colonia found how much of diffirence was if my DBX was not 42 but 60 ly jump range. I would not mind if instead of 523 jump which totaled almost 9 hours were reduced to 366 jumps totaled at 6 hours. 3 hours would have made quite a difference. But then I could have halved my time by taking the Neutron Highway.

I hear now that the max jump range has been increased to 80 lys which certainly makes travel times much more bearable although for me the idea would be 100-120 preferably without any grind or at least a small amount of grind.But I guess everyone has different tastes.

PS: It took me a lot more than 9 hours to get to Collonia, a 22000 ly journey because I made many stops and explored several systems.

Last edited:
I completely agree, they don't make exploration ships... I mean if they did they would actually named them exploration ships... lets say imaginary names like

Asp Explorer
Diamondback Explorer

maybe one day they will. but as you so correctly said, there is close to zero change

There are 35 ships in the game and only 2 of them have the name "Explorer" attached. And one of those Explorers has the slowest fuel scoop in the entire game and not enough internals to carry everything most explorers want to bring along.

Now how many ships have military slots on them? Hint: 18 of them do. Over half of all ships in the game have specialized military slots on them.

The game could certainly stand to have another couple ships with the word "Explorer" at the back of their names.

There are 35 ships in the game and only 2 of them have the name "Explorer" attached. And one of those Explorers has the slowest fuel scoop in the entire game and not enough internals to carry everything most explorers want to bring along.

Now how many ships have military slots on them? Hint: 18 of them do. Over half of all ships in the game have specialized military slots on them.

The game could certainly stand to have another couple ships with the word "Explorer" at the back of their names.

Well put

The bigger the ship, the more there are hard points, and the BIGGER the hard points are. Combat is where the money is, that’s why there are Bad aliens. Frontier is a BUSINESS.

Could have a Cutter explorer version where the hard points are removed and ‘special’ modular sections are introduced for scanners, FSD increased jump range thingamies etc.

My god this is a made up digital game, people make up the rules, the rules are not part of nature.

Could have a Cutter explorer version where the hard points are removed and ‘special’ modular sections are introduced for scanners, FSD increased jump range thingamies etc.

You need a gun to interact, though. Gaurdian tech all needs to be juiced up and apparently the best way to interact is to shoot it with lasers.

Anyone expecting rational, reasoned design, with multi-layered approaches is likely continuing to confuse (improbable) potential with actual. Frontier have a set modus operandi. It will never change. They are driven by process and procedure. Nothing else matters. In the same way there are two ships dedicated to the exploration role, neither of them are relevant to current game state.

It is a game; made up, based on some scientific principles. It's also an example of a developer who builds a game they mostly detest at this point; there's just zero interest within the team to consume what they produce. That should tell you everything.

This is what Frontier is; a developer building procedure and process, who has little interest in actually engaging with it.

Top Bottom