New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

It's hard to find a video of some larger area when sun shines perpendicular to the ground, but it just looks bad.
Like an old game.
AND everything looks... flat.

nlcxGu5P92Sg4VAxKCHakd1df-lVEFXN9lzufSe4Efg.jpg

4674121288_3f4e612361_b.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Noticed the same in the game and in the screenshot thread - best screenshots are shot on the solar terminator. Reminds me of prevalence of ring system shots in Horizon. :)
Not really dishonest though. Landscape photographers generally don't go for pictures taken in the middle of the day - sunrise and sunset make things look prettier in reality too, so a trailer trying to look good will probably pick those locations, and would've done even if the planet generation worked to perfection.

It's hard to find a video of some larger area when sun shines perpendicular to the ground, but it just looks bad.
Like an old game.
AND everything looks... flat.

nlcxGu5P92Sg4VAxKCHakd1df-lVEFXN9lzufSe4Efg.jpg
There is a big difference between mid day (no shadows) and sunset/sunrise (heavy shadow). The difference lie in the multiple hours between the 2. Which might be why you struggled to find a proper picture.
Not really dishonest though. Landscape photographers generally don't go for pictures taken in the middle of the day - sunrise and sunset make things look prettier in reality too, so a trailer trying to look good will probably pick those locations, and would've done even if the planet generation worked to perfection.
A normal days is not sunrise->mid day->sunset. You have morning and afternoon to.

As I mentioned, there are only 2 times the trailer is taken not in sunrise/sunset, and the shot doesn't even last a second. We have lengthy landscape at the terminator though.

OK, I have something.

They allegedly reworked lighting.
BUT
it seems like only areas with medium to high light exposure are somehow better.

The MOST important and broken "blackness/darkness" of any shadow areas is exactly as bad as before.

In other words, they "fixed" the least broken range of lighting.

Contact support ? We can't help much, really.
Really?
I was counting on some moral support.
Like "you probably have some real world stuff overdue that you will be able to do now, while waiting a week for FD to do something"
:ROFLMAO:

NVM, Apex managed to make a jump instead of flying back to exclusion zone after 3rd try.
AI is getting better :sneaky:

Really?
I was counting on some moral support.
Like "you probably have some real world stuff overdue that you will be able to do now, while waiting a week for FD to do something"
:ROFLMAO:
The state of the game thread is the current moral support. That one is not^^
And I mean, odyssey is quite buggy, they would need a hotline to be able to offer enough emotional support for everyone :)

Can you help me what should I blame EDO this time for,
using the fact that it's landscapes look best when light is lower, exactly like in the real world?
Stick to the subject at hand, which is the lack of randomised and uniquely generated landscapes that Horizons had.

I still don't understand how the game could have changed so much from the alpha version to the release version. I enjoyed the planets so much in the alpha....

I especially remember a poi of a crashed ship, where suddenly 6 or 7 enemies would appear. I didn't like the combat at all, but getting to that place was incredible. First approaching the planet, in its orbit, it looked beautiful and realistic, then looking for a good landing place near the poi was a challenge, with all those rocks here and there, and the realistic geometry of the planet. And once I landed, driving the srv, looking for the best route among the hundreds of rocks, enjoying every slope, every corner of that place. It was all as realistic as being on our real moon.

I remember, in contrast, my last poi on a planet in the launch version, and the lack of immersion. This is not what I saw and enjoyed in the alpha, it's as if the alpha was the launch version, and vice versa. In fact, the evolution seems to have been the opposite: Launch--Alpha--Prealpha, and I do not know if it is a degradation of the technology to gain a few fps, if it has really been an unintended error, or what could have been. I would like an explanation beyond "it's not working as it should" because I already know that, what I would like to know is why, and if it's really going to be fixed.

How many times did they say during the alpha that this was not the definitive technology... every time I remember it...

Top Bottom