New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

Well, crater is not something that anyone would expect to be completely generated.
It's not something that'll appear entirely at random otherwise, but what I'd expect is a crater-generation algorithm on top of the general terrain algorithm that it uses to randomly place (possibly subject to planetary history, Stellar Forge generates that sort of info) craters in.

So, what are locations of both?
I would like to check it for myself.

I'm trying to find out this myself. The original screenshots were posted here. I've asked him to provide the locations.

Part of me wants it to be a fabrication, but after seeing other screenshots people have posted in this thread, its looking more and more legit. :(

Last edited:
It's not something that'll appear entirely at random otherwise, but what I'd expect is a crater-generation algorithm on top of the general terrain algorithm that it uses to randomly place (possibly subject to planetary history, Stellar Forge generates that sort of info) craters in.
Yeah, sure, no need to explain the obvious.
I meant that we could have forgiven FD prefabricating of crater, because they are not THAT different from each other anyway.
But prefabricating features that SEEM to be random/generated... Oh boy,

it's a major league sin.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find out this myself. The original screenshots were post here. I've asked him to provide the locations.

Part of me wants it to be a fabrication, but after seeing other screenshots people have posted in this thread, its looking more and more legit. :(
Yeah, I just want to see MORE of this feature. Like complete shape and size,
and find out if there is any excuse for this to be prefabbed (like a base/settlement placed on the plateau etc)

The CM said they knew the planetary generation had several issues, and it was a big thing to fix. He didn't go into details, sadly. He might not know either.
Still, it was an honest answer, and I entirely respect that and give him credit.

In the last livestream BTW.

I don't necessarily think this particular thread requires dev response. I think it is a great tool for us to report what we see and communicate our dissatisfaction.

FDEV has come out and said "There will be more on things like planet tech, etc".

What I do think is that a clear communication regarding the planet tech is now long over due. I'd say it is time for a clear message on what is currently working as intended, what is still being worked on and what exactly we can expect in the future. Planet tech specific, of course.

Remember; this is a released DLC we purchased that is showing significant signs of BAD. I think we're entitled to demand clear vision on what, when and how.

The CM said they knew the planetary generation had several issues, and it was a big thing to fix. He didn't go into details, sadly. He might not know either.
Still, it was an honest answer, and I entirely respect that and give him credit.

In the last livestream BTW.
I really miss a "temporary" before the "fix" part.

I really miss a "temporary" before the "fix" part.
We'll see I suppose.

Honestly, not going to lie, this is a SPACE sim. With walk on planet added. Planets are like a BIG thing. They should have had a dev told us "here what is broken, and we'll fix it", so we know what they consider broken, and what they consider working fine.

Right now, we don't know exactly. What is concerning is when the CM said they don't want to rebuild the planet as they did with Odyssey. That would mean they don't think it's a core issue, only stuff like the lod and stuff, which while it's an issue, is not a core one.

I can't shake the feeling that if it's THAT bad as we expect ATM it took too long for such proofs to emerge.
I mean, thousands of commanders needed 20 days for this "piece of evidence"?

Great, and on top of this new Nvidia drivers broke ED support for postprocessing filters, so I can't fix EDO blackness anymore.

1623362270955.png

EDIT: it works after TWO windows restarts.
Because it's only logical, that the same operation on deterministic system should give different results after x repetitions.

Last edited:
I can't shake the feeling that if it's THAT bad as we expect ATM it took too long for such proofs to emerge.
Most people stop at the "repetitive" feeling. A lot are enjoying ground content, and you can't really see that from the ground itself. And others are so in love they went blind and can't see it. People came to this thread to deny the existence of the repetitive pattern, even though we had multiple screenshots.
And finally, the majority of player don't post or even read here.

For me its not the fact that it takes time to spot these things. They can be hidden very well if done right. No, its the fact that I'll no longer have the feeling that I'm discovering a world that's truly unique in the galaxy, something no one else has set eyes on. That feeling has now gone because with trillions of worlds out there, I know millions of them will be a copy of the one I'm standing on.

For an explorer, that's like a kick in the gut. And no offence to non-explorers, you either "get it" or you don't. Frontier obviously don't 'get it' otherwise they wouldn't have gone down this route.

Probably somewhat in the "can't unsee"-category. Now when I know that there is some serious pattern repetition, it's harder to ignore (was/is a pet peeve of mine in such obvious things as copycat atmospheric planet cyclones).

For me its not the fact that it takes time to spot these things. They can be hidden very well if done right. No, its the fact that I'll no longer have the feeling that I'm discovering a world that's truly unique in the galaxy, something no one else has set eyes on. That feeling has now gone because with trillions of worlds out there, I know millions of them will be a copy of the one I'm standing on.

For an explorer, that's like a kick in the gut. And no offence to non-explorers, you either "get it" or you don't. Frontier obviously don't 'get it' otherwise they wouldn't have gone down this route.
A videogame is a magic trick. It works by hiding the mirrors and the strings. Not by not having them.
I don't ask for no repetitive patterns, I ask for them to be well hidden so I don't notice.

Horizon probably had the same stuff, but I never noticed. That's good for me.

From explorers point of view, it's a pity that planets themselves have received so little love in general. I'd take better gas giant and unlandable atmospheric planet texturing over space fungus scanning any day.
I'd hope (hah!) that non-gas-giant unlandable planets haven't had any changes because they'll have to change anyway when they become landable. I won't get my hopes up.

From explorers point of view, it's a pity that planets themselves have received so little love in general. I'd take better gas giant and unlandable atmospheric planet texturing over space fungus scanning any day.
NGL, I bought it for the pretty planet. I knew it would be a buggy mess and a content island with a cheap FPS slapped on. And I don't even have that.

Now, I'd like people to carefully watch the steam trailer. Notice how everytime we see a landscape, the star is very low on the horizon. It's always dawn or sunset. A technique used to "blur" the details, and give more depth to a landscape. Makes everything a lot prettier. When it's not dawn/sunset, you get a dude's bottom and can't see much.
The only time they don't, is in very short shot (less than a second), when they attack a base.

Even planet views are more than half in the dark, and very close.

I think they were already fully aware. It didn't come as a surprise.

Now, I'd like people to carefully watch the steam trailer. Notice how everytime we see a landscape, the star is very low on the horizon. It's always dawn or sunset. A technique used to "blur" the details, and give more depth to a landscape. Makes everything a lot prettier. When it's not dawn/sunset, you get a dude's bottom and can't see much.
Agreed. Noticed the same in the game and in the screenshot thread - best screenshots are shot on the solar terminator. Reminds me of prevalence of ring system shots in Horizon. :)

Top Bottom