New red-orange dot approaching the bubble at 0.8ly per minute-- Thargoid mothership?

This thing must also big and bright as a star when it can be seen from so far away. There are red dwarfs that cannot be seen from much closer even. So the entire Thargoid homesystem on the move ? Dyson sphere ?

The Crab Nebula would disagree
Betelgeuse might disagree too...
I also wrote "not 100% accurate"; ofc you can find a excetions, but I'd guess not many compared to 4b stars. :) IMO it is very nicely done for a game.

Still the problem (?) is this new moving object. Looks cool and scary as hell. :) And compared to stellar stuff it should be huge, like many-many-many ways bigger then Sol.

That doesn't surprise me, wait until after Thursday server reset and see if it has moved then, if it has then it is moving on server reset and it is something major, until then, hold your excitement.
Well it might arrive at or near the bubble around the time of update 14, so you prob's got until then to run for your life to Colonia.
This makes a lot of sense as we all know U14 will show up in September, probably around the second week of the month which would give it enough time for this object to make it here. According to the live stream I had playing in the background people with crazy Math skilz estimated it was heading to HIP 22460, probably in answer to the big honking green thing that's still active there. I have no idea how people figure this stuff out - just remember that geeks figured out where the first guardian ruins were based on the teaser video introducing stuff like that and the star constellations in the background.

Could also be the guardian AI wanting to know whoz toying with their stufz. Not sure which would be worse.

FYI, comments on the Galnet youtube channel had a statement from Canonn Research:
Canonn research does not make any claims for this discovery. The hyperdiction was reported via our EDMC plugin by a non-member and as the data is made public in real time it was immediately picked up by members and non members alike.

There is also this additional video where you can hear it on the FSS:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Now imagine we all spin theories about what will happen now,
and next update suddenly they* are upon us, burning down the bubble, making everyone fight tooth and nails against extinction,
no opt-in, just carnage and destruction like at the Gnosis.

What a way to finish this game in a year or two 🤗

*they: some aliens, obviously.

In reality: next week hauling CG.
If the Thargoids suddenly become pan-galactic non-optional content then it'll be interesting to see how their expanded presence affects the play-time of the non-combative players among us. Put bluntly, if it's not "fun" then some won't play as much, if at all.

Remembering the swift reversion of the AI changes, removal of commodities in engineering modification recipes and fix to the bugged engineered NPC weapons after the launch of 2.1 that weren't well received by a significant portion of the player-base (although welcomed by some skilled and vocal players who wanted to see other players punished).

FYI, comments on the Galnet youtube channel had a statement from Canonn Research:
Canonn research does not make any claims for this discovery. The hyperdiction was reported via our EDMC plugin by a non-member and as the data is made public in real time it was immediately picked up by members and non members alike.
Yeah, a bunch of tragics were keeping it to themselves:

1661940224188.png

This is why you should support Canonn - your friendly bunch of sharing caring scientists biscuit addicts :)

If the Thargoids suddenly become pan-galactic non-optional content then it'll be interesting to see how their expanded presence affects the play-time of the non-combative players among us. Put bluntly, if it's not "fun" then some won't play as much, if at all.

Remembering the swift reversion of the AI changes, removal of commodities in engineering modification recipes and fix to the bugged engineered NPC weapons after the launch of 2.1 that weren't well received by a significant portion of the player-base (although welcomed by some skilled and vocal players who wanted to see other players punished).
Eh, we're talking about the end of the (known) universe here, no one is asked if it will be fun getting exterminated ;)

Alright, anyone knows how long it takes to build a death star?

Asking for a friend.

Two sequels.

Someone else already pointed out a major flaw here - or maybe a question: how can this observation be made compatible with the finite speed of light? If it's moving fatser than light, we should only be able to see it (in real space in any case) when it reaches our position.

Light speed is infinite in the Elite universe?

This thing must also big and bright as a star when it can be seen from so far away. There are red dwarfs that cannot be seen from much closer even. So the entire Thargoid homesystem on the move ? Dyson sphere ?

I reckon it's just a star-size plasma burst shot by a nebula-size plasma accelerator. I wonder what the target is...

I'm hoping it's a really big photon torpedo and that it does to the bubble what the this one did to the bar on the Enterprise-A.

Anyway, should be possible to triangulate the target.

Last edited:

Agreed. But then for all we know this could also be the last hurrah for the game, all going down in a blaze of glory, story concluded, end of the line.

Top Bottom