New Regions – Why not use the ones already established by the exploration community?

I just hope they'll come up with better names than "Region 17". We'll see in the beta if these designations are placeholders or not.

By the way, the GMP's proposed layout - second image - doesn't match the regions from the livestream. For example, the Far 3 kpc Arm is divided into two in-game regions, a region that would correspond to the Abyss doesn't exist, and so on. So a better suggestion would be to use the image(s) from the stream.

Also, hi to Adam Woods reading this thread!

/signed. Please Frontier, make it happen! After all, much of the galaxy has been mapped by the community in the first place.

How about "Area 51"? :D

No, seriously: Frontier yesterday started to call things "community based exploration" - a thing we have been doing here for four years now. Since then, too, exploration hasn't really gotten that amount of attention that other play styles have, mainly those with guns. Frontier really could make eternal peace with the explorations community by honoring the thousandfold love for detail and - sorry for the word - immersion the submissions to the GMP have created.

I can't even begin to understand why FD would call parts of a spiral arm "Sector 49" when they could name it "Abyssal Plains", "Anthor Patch", "Hawkin's Gap" or even the "Conflux".
Wait, the latter two are already in the game you say? Oh my! Right! What was I thinking?

/signed

Andrew Gaspurr
Galactic Mapping Project

Signed.

This would be a win win situation, it would generate a lot of good will with the community, would use community efforts to give more interesting names, and would link the sectors to the geography of the galaxy.

At the very least do a matching process between the community names and the sectors to match them up where possible.

A lot of signed, without saying what they want to happen, so I can only assume it's proposal 1. Look at it realistically there's is no way, given how close we are to release, that FD are going to change that much of the structure they have already put in place. It's just not feasible.

Now if they had of communicated this back when the Exploration FFF was supposed to have originally gone live then we might have had time to convince them to make a change along these lines, but alasy they didn't.

I think it's pretty clear that they have plans already for the regions they have set out and, as has been suggested, they will tie in to things that are already in place within the Codex. So asking them to change the layout, or the naming is not just as simple as changing the wording on the Galaxy Map. Just on a side note, I hardly think we came up with the concept of calling parts of space regions.

As they already said this view would be a toggle My proposal would be to implement the GMPs map as a view that can be toggled on and off. That way FD don't need to change anything with the work they have already done, and we can still use the names we made and refer to them as such (if wanted) when creating expeditions.

i completely agree. i guess however the number of '/signed's could give an idea of how important this is for some, and that's completely fair but i hope those some (or many) are aware of the effort and cost that this could have. there's no free lunch, it's late, so we should choose carefully where to press.

/signed

Ideally use the area names we already have, but if not, at least use some form of name rather than random numbers

i completely agree. i guess however the number of '/signed's could give an idea of how important this is for some, and that's completely fair but i hope those some (or many) are aware of the effort and cost that this could have. there's no free lunch, it's late, so we should choose carefully where to press.

When there is one thing that the majority of the exploration community seems to agree on, it's this! So why not press on it, instead of things that people keep on arguing about forever? I have never ever seen this much of agreement among players anywhere else.
It may be complicated to do, we don't know. But this is where our heart and soul is.

Top Bottom