New Thargoid variant

So, I went there... was not disappointed.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsinCxW4CgA

BTW, where's the name "Pigeon John's Nest" come from? I can't see it anywhere, just "Civilian Installation".
I don't suppose you can remember if you saw it in the Nav Panel, I';m pretty sure it wasn't there earlier, but now:

So I'm not sure if they've altered it, or I just didn't pay attention 🤔

I don't suppose you can remember if you saw it in the Nav Panel, I';m pretty sure it wasn't there earlier, but now:

View attachment 141613

So I'm not sure if they've altered it, or I just didn't pay attention 🤔
Nup... my MO is always
1. Jump to system, look for (thing) in contacts.
2. If not there, fly to within 1,000Ls of the body, check again.
3. If not, fly to within 1Ls of target body, check again.

Even by step 3, wasn't on the nav panel. Unfortunately, I'm back in the bubble again (having realised the BGS in the Enclave is still inactive) and not keen to go back there atm.

Nup... my MO is always

Even by step 3, wasn't on the nav panel. Unfortunately, I'm back in the bubble again (having realised the BGS in the Enclave is still inactive) and not keen to go back there atm.
Thanks for the confirm - was starting to think I'd imagined it :) Now I need to pull over a different CMDR as my 'local' one has already failed to scan all the uplinks - and failed scans tend to be sticky....

New Thargoid Interceptor variant Orthrus reported at Palin's Old Base in Maia by CMDR,Hastur

Scanned by CMDR Aranionros Stormrage (AXI)

AZbyH4j.png

Pic from Hastur:

edNXMmS.png

Bring a fast ship - she runs as you drop out of SC at Palin's old base Maia A3A (DSS the planet to get the location if you don't have it already)

Edit: yes, it has been reported to have human modules, but so were scouts before fdev fixed them.

Has anyone noticed that the codex has not been updated to reflect this discovery? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the codex?

I don't really think so, as it's been programmed to jump as soon as a CMDR gets into the game, and due to that, I believe it to be intentional

Nup... my MO is always

When I said earlier that Pigeon John had appeared in the Nav panel - it's now disappeared again. And now it has no Uplinks either ... weirdness is happening.

No afraid not. Nor is there any discussion on the yellow bumps on it or why the hearts are in a different position or why it has stopped spawning or why the scouts are chasing it.
cough

Distilling it down to the salient points:
  • Yellow bumps are (imo) "fixture points" to attach human driver hardware for the Thargoid vessel, and the "face" is a more humanoid cockpit.
  • Scouts are chasing it because it's, imo, a human/thargoid hybrid ship design. I'd be trying to blow that up too if someone designed an experimental hybrid based off my, I guess, "own technology"
  • I would kill for a picture showing the position of those hearts, especially if they aren't in the normal spot.
And adding on since it was still spawning regularly before...
- I wouldn't read into the apparent disappearance too much. Sounds like people are still reporting rare encounters with it... Hyperdictions spawned excessively at one point, then FD fixed it so people got hyperdicted intermittently instead of literally every time they tried to jump out a system. I imagine it was meant to only spawn rarely in the first place.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to think that its human copying thargoid tech. It could be the other way round. Haven't the thargoid been doing scans of our ships schematics for some time know. They maybe implementing a supercruise type module into their ships. That could be why we can see it on our scanners as it is similar to the FSD drive.

Because is fleeing form Palin's base, and Palin collected a bunch of Thargoid tech. If we saw this scaping from a Thargoid Hive we would think that it is a Thargoid made, but this seems to be escaping or at least departing from the old Palin's Base. But now that you mention it...

Has anyone checked if there is a similar object... or anything out of the ordinary in the nearest Thargoid hives?

Everyone seems to think that its human copying thargoid tech. It could be the other way round. Haven't the thargoid been doing scans of our ships schematics for some time know. They maybe implementing a supercruise type module into their ships. That could be why we can see it on our scanners as it is similar to the FSD drive.
Because is fleeing form Palin's base, and Palin collected a bunch of Thargoid tech. If we saw this scaping from a Thargoid Hive we would think that it is a Thargoid made, but this seems to be escaping or at least departing from the old Palin's Base. But now that you mention it...

Has anyone checked if there is a similar object... or anything out of the ordinary in the nearest Thargoid hives?
That post by Max Factor has been bugging me, in terms of I don't know how to answer it.

Suffice to say, all I can do is quote House and say "It doesn't fit".

Usually, you wrangle the target tech to integrate with your own, cutting connectors and replacing them with bespoke ones, cutting back excess material to fit a piece of equipment, drilling holes and removal of problematic components, and that's very apparent with the polyps, or as I call them "fixture points", due to the visible damage to the vessel around these. You don't usually wrangle yourself/your own tech to fit the technology in that way. You have mastery of your own tech, so whatever components of your own tech are being used should be almost entirely free from imperfection, while the unknown hybrid tech usually come out somewhat damaged, because it's being used outside it's usually-intended parameters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom