New UI is total garbage

Where do i begin with the new system map UI in EDO, there in lies the problem it's so bad i don't know where to begin. How anyone can think this good UI is beyond me.

System map:
The control tabs are all over the place. Each tab has very little information making it frustrating to find anything usefull
The hole thing is just a total mess. Where's the Quality control Frontier?. You've trashed what was a decent Ui, What for?.
This new Ui is not gonna help console players. As for new players wow, Elite was never a game that held your hand. Which means the game UI has to be good, this UI is just bin fodder

As for the new galaxy map UI all the above applies.

Also having graphic glitches on the map, different out of shape symbols are permanently flickering on the star map, makes it look like a malfunctioning GPU. But it only happens in ED

I quite like it tbh. However, unless I'm missing something, I'd like to see an icon to go to the galaxy map from system map. :)

I gotta admit, the Galaxy map is horrible, and the new station menu is atrocious.

This right here, and i hope FDEV, and any and all future devs for games take note, is a great example of changing something that did not need to be changed.

The Galaxy map menu did not need to be changed at all, it was 100% fine the way it was, the added features could have very easily been another tab, but the new UI is horribly clunky and awful to navigate.

The new station UI is just as bad, selecting missions has never been more cumbersome then it is now, and turning in missions is annoying as well with the extra screen you get for no reason.

PLEASE give us an option to revert back to the old gal map menu, ill even give up the new features for it.

Personally I don't care about the appearance of the UI since it's a subjective thing.

I care about the functionality. And this new UI actually downgrades the functionality in many different aspects, requiring more clicks to view the same information as before, or in some cases actually making it impossible to match previous functionality. Thankfully we still have the journal entries...

If they're keeping this UI, I hope proper attention is given to continuously improving it to make sure it is made better than the previous UI in most aspects, and that no information is lost.

Last edited:
I imagine it's painful for keyboard and mouse users. I use a control pad and it took a while to get used to the system and galaxy map, but now I've developed a certain muscle memory and icon recognition and find it pretty easy to navigate.

I think console users will be fine with it. The only thing that really annoys me is the number of times you have to hit the "back" button to get out of it if you've been diving into menus.

I imagine it's painful for keyboard and mouse users. I use a control pad and it took a while to get used to the system and galaxy map, but now I've developed a certain muscle memory and icon recognition and find it pretty easy to navigate.

I think console users will be fine with it. The only thing that really annoys me is the number of times you have to hit the "back" button to get out of it if you've been diving into menus.
Honestly no, its the other way around, its WAY easier to navigate the new menu if you are a KBM user. Pre change i could just shift down to exit the gal map with about 3 button presses of my Hat control on my joy stick, in fact i would navigate the entire gal map system jsut using my HOTAS, now to perform the same action of exiting with a HOTAS its about 7 or 8 button presses to exit the gal map, its easier just to click.

the new UI system sucks balls totally ruined and broke the galaxy map which there was nothing wrong with to begin with ... and as for the outfitting menu's i mean really trying to outfit a ship now is just totally overcomplicated say you have 3 empty class 5 slots and you have 3 stored class 5 modules you want to equip.. now you must goto the stored modules tab then select 1 module and install it... and then .. you need to back out and go back to the stored modules tab to get module number 2 and install it.. if you dont go all the way back to the stored modules tab it just take you to the module store.. how ing retarted is that. FIX IT

Personally I don't care about the appearance of the UI since it's a subjective thing.

I care about the functionality. And this new UI actually downgrades the functionality in many different aspects, requiring more clicks to view the same information as before, or in some cases actually making it impossible to match previous functionality. Thankfully we still have the journal entries...

If they're keeping this UI, I hope proper attention is given to continuously improving it to make sure it is made better than the previous UI in most aspects, and that no information is lost.
I feel the same.
The gal map and System map have lost functionality.

A good example was/is :-
Before:
Open gal map - Right clicking a bookmark - select the "plot route to the bookmark" option - close gal map.

Now:
Open gal map - select bookmark - open system map (wait for it to load) - select same bookmark again - select bookmark target - plot route to target - close system map - maybe close gal map too. Cry into coffee.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions until I've had more time to play with the Gal and System maps, trying to avoid my default "It's different! I hates it!" response.

Initial reactions are that it does a good job of making it harder to find things, and splitting information that used to be in one place across multiple menus seems like an odd decision.

I do like the better organisation of the bookmarks, and I love the 'long press' to plot route.

This is once again an example of Elites devs who do not play their own game being out of touch with their playerbase as well as having legitimately no idea how to design or code anymore. And when I say no idea how to code I don't mean they actually can't write code, just that their coding skills combined with the design skills are those of an intern out of college and not a professional company that has been around for quite a number of years, even if most of that time was as a niche company. Everything in Odyssey is garbage and should not have ever passed a design review meeting. The moment the UI and GalMap changes were implemented the person submitting that should have been immediately fired. And yes I do mean that because the galmap already had a few small revisions in Beyond that while troublesome, at least still functioned the same. Now it's just terrible and we have less depth in our game which was already a galaxy wide but inch deep situation.

I am very disappointed in Frontier right now. Thankfully I have other games to play to wait and see if they'll revert or at the very least simplify the new UI (not even talking about the various crashes, bugs, performance issues either) but for those who this was their favorite and primary game, I truly feel sorry for you guys. This company is clearly taking advantage of the fact that the only other immersive space games are No Mans Sky (which has actually improved a lot and fostered good will with players) which has more cartoonish looks to it, or the permanent pre-alpha that is Scam Citizen. So they figure they have no competition and just push out whatever dumb changes they come up with in a meeting despite clearly not playing their own product-an issue which has been pointed out numerous times- and then patting themselves on the back.

This is why game companies usually aren't their own publisher unless an indie title, because publishers at least try to guide or squash down ideas they know will fully aggravate and lose players (and thus revenue). Instead Braben and his team are just wildly throwing out "changes" for the sake of "change" and not for the betterment of the game.

Shame on you Frontier. You have become a trash tier company whose products are a joke instead of a shining beacon with innovative ideas in the industry. You have fallen far from what you used to be.

I like the new galaxy map. Mode switching and filtering on the old one was much more annoying.
This is why I'm giving it some time - last night I was playing with the Gal Map UI, and it took me about 5 minutes to find the options to filter for an Interstellar Factor, for example.

Was that because I'm just used to the old UI and don't like change, or because the new UI is harder to navigate?

Top Bottom