New UI is total garbage

One simple thing which Frontier could add which would help it tool tips (popup messages) which appear when you hover over the various buttons which tell what day do from the perspective of a player who is familiar with the old UI.

I know this would be of limited use on a console, but it's not available on the console right now.

I do see some positive things in the new UI, but i agree that there's still a lot to do with the UX, maybe they already fixed it in the trunk.

I think its better, it needs tweaks of course (missing some previously displayed planet info) but this one is more logical with its placement of controls.

UI is one of the most difficult things to get right in programming, and you are never going to please everyone. Every time any program/website changes its UI you get the chorus of boos. Its to be expected.

First the ' Blue Blob ' game , now this . So it will take an hour to map a system pressing all the new bells and whistles and time sinks . :poop:

One thing a bunch of commanders could do is start making "Video Use Cases" for how they use the old UI to accomplish a certain task and then comparison videos of how they do the same thing (or attempt to do the same thing) in the new UI to underscore the major problem areas. This could really help Frontier!

Yes, use cases are something Frontier hopefully did while designing the new UI, but apparently they didn't do enough of them.

One thing a bunch of commanders could do is start making "Video Use Cases" for how they use the old UI to accomplish a certain task and then comparison videos of how they do the same thing (or attempt to do the same thing) in the new UI to underscore the major problem areas. This could really help Frontier!

Yes, use cases are something Frontier hopefully did while designing the new UI, but apparently they didn't do enough of them.
If we load Horizons from the launcher does that give the pre oddy UI / system map / gal map etc ?

I agree with everything be said here. ED-H had a Great UI there was nothing overly wrong with it. Out side of the FSS being totally janked.

ED-O the UI is just a cluster **** mess! Honestly I dont know how any of it made it passed QA unless there was no QA which seems more applicable.

The Galaxy map is just frustrating just being able to search for a system alone means I have to drop my controller or my Hotas and grab my mouse.
Next and I would think this would be The Biggest Issue! The UI in Galaxy Map Doesn't Show Names of Your Own Squadron/Team/Wing Members ANYWHERE!

Even more is the Outfitting UI is HORRIBLE! At No point in outfitting does any Module tell you what about it is Unique or Engineered!!! I have no less then a Dozen off like 5A FSD Boosters All of which Are Slightly Different but Nothing in the UI shows whats different or what engineering modification is on it!

ARX equipment is a Mess aswell none of the Images Are Right Especially when it comes to the Pre-Order Bonus "Pioneer Suit" all of them look like the same Arm Band, even looking at the helmet shows every other piece owned. Whats the point of having the filter if the filter doesn't work!?

thats just a few of the things Ive found.

I agree with everything be said here. ED-H had a Great UI there was nothing overly wrong with it. Out side of the FSS being totally janked.

ED-O the UI is just a cluster **** mess! Honestly I dont know how any of it made it passed QA unless there was no QA which seems more applicable.

The Galaxy map is just frustrating just being able to search for a system alone means I have to drop my controller or my Hotas and grab my mouse.
Next and I would think this would be The Biggest Issue! The UI in Galaxy Map Doesn't Show Names of Your Own Squadron/Team/Wing Members ANYWHERE!

Even more is the Outfitting UI is HORRIBLE! At No point in outfitting does any Module tell you what about it is Unique or Engineered!!! I have no less then a Dozen off like 5A FSD Boosters All of which Are Slightly Different but Nothing in the UI shows whats different or what engineering modification is on it!

ARX equipment is a Mess aswell none of the Images Are Right Especially when it comes to the Pre-Order Bonus "Pioneer Suit" all of them look like the same Arm Band, even looking at the helmet shows every other piece owned. Whats the point of having the filter if the filter doesn't work!?

thats just a few of the things Ive found.
Since when did they add engineering to the Guardian FSD Boosters?

Visually I don't think it's bad.

Functionally, it is.

I haven't fully understood when it applies the left side filters.
Is it by clicking on them (getting a checkmark?), or do I have to click apply checkbox?

Also not being able to target bookmarks is ridiculous.

The pop up functionality is missing.

Haven't spend much time analysing it for now, so thats the points I remembered.

UI not for PC players, it is for consoles...

It used to be for consoles before and was effective in that it required a minimum of clicks. But worst is not the galaxy map, but the ship management. Starting with the ugly and odd yellow background in the menu that doesn't fit any existing color scheme or the ships list which IIRC is read only. And funny effects in VR btw, but that's true for many pages in the UI.

Thinking about it, we use plain yellow, red or green as makeshift colors in development, and obviously nobody cared to change it to something more consistent. So it just stayed so.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
I disagree. The new UI has a couple of issues, as expected, but it's a vast improvement on the old one, as you'll come to appreciate over time.

It's always like this when a new UI is introduced. People invariably hate it because they're in the habit of doing things a certain way and the first thing they discover is that they can't do that anymore. Frustrating. Come back in six months time and ask them if they still want a return to the old UI and they'll say "NO". I prophecy this.

The best thing about it, for me, is that you no longer get unwanted information on some star that your cursor, of necessity, had to pass over before reaching the star/planet you want; and now you've got a hovertip you don't want, and which won't go away, obscuring the one you do want. Thank God that's gone.

I guess FD didn’t receive the memo that UI designer should always strive for simplification. There’s a very simple reason for that - people don’t have the time anymore to navigate the mind corridors of some dude/gal who was sniffing coke at 5 in the morning. That’s why we have iphones, androids, or what have you, exactly the way we have them. You press one - two buttons and bam, stuff happens. This new UI is an insult. And not because it is ugly. Even though it is.

Top Bottom