New UI is total garbage

Let's assume Frontier will be Frontier and ignore everyone's complaints like they did with the FSS. Has anyone experimented with macros to see if they can automate all this added button-clicking and scrolling? Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Disclaimer - I like the FSS.

can someone please tell me HOW THE HELL i can see if i already scanned a planet or not? Oo
currently i make a passenger mission.
I tend to leave odyssey alone for some months and keep playind horizons -.-
My nice looking female fighter pilot look like a catastrophic ill or under drugs and 3 days of no sleeping looking person -.-
menus are clumsier -.-
in horizons you look left and with ONE look u can see if the passenger dont like danger or something, in odyssey you must click several times -.-
same with contact on spacestations: at the police youcan se at once if you have fines or such. here u must ckick every symbol..
the graphic is ugly daaark and the cockpit colours and windows( in horizons black) are grey now -.-
i HOPE this all will changing with some patches..
but please, can someone tell me how i can see if i already scanned a waterworld or earthlike or not?

Deleted member 182079

D
There's a few easy fixes for some of the issues that I'm actually flabbergasted they're not in the live game, namely:

• Move the system map icon further up, I would suggest 2nd position, on the right hand side of the gal map. Currently it's 11 button presses with a pad to get to the sysmap here.
  • When transferring a stored module to your ship, after you're done, make the game put you back into the storage section and not leave you in ship outfitting. You will then not have to go back to module storage costantly if you want to transfer several modules in one session
  • When buying a module, switch the default 'action' toggle for the currently fitted module to "stored" instead of "sell", otherwise people will accidentally sell engineered and/or PP modules
  • Bring back the option to select the Drake FC layout. I purchased a couple of the other layouts and should still be able to select and use the 'free' one, no? But yeah got it, low priority since it's broken since February, laugh's on me.
I'm not a professional developer, sure, but please don't tell me any of the above will take more than a few minutes of work to sort out. Yet, here we still are.

There are a number of other issues that seem to be by design, which might not be as simple to fix, such as:
  • Shipyard outfitting doesn't show the modules installed on your ship, just some useless statistic about module types/numbers. Incredible stuff.
  • Module engineering is no longer visible in outfitting I believe (have only read about this).
  • Replace ship preview 3D models with 2D images - they can take several seconds to load in and it just looks shoddy. Less = more here
I'm not going to get into the entire suit cosmetics section, it's laughably broken especially considering that FDev want to make money with overpriced skins - yet the UI is an absolute mess. At least I can ignore it, which doesn't really help FDev though in terms of revenue. Ho hum.

You no longer get wanted information either though, be that 1) none at all, or 2) only unless you jump through a lot more hoops.

It looks nice, I guess. In a style over substance kind of way.

But that's not true. Put your mouse on a star and left-click. This is not "a lot more hoops".

Deleted member 182079

D
But that's not true. Put your mouse on a star and left-click. This is not "a lot more hoops".
I'm playing with a gamepad. Trust me, it's a lot worse now, almost everything takes longer now compared to Horizons' UI.

I first have to hover over a star (this one's free so I won't count it).
Then I press A to make the left 'bar' appear.
Then I press right dpad to make the right 'bar' appear.
Then I press down dpad until I reach the sysmap icon, where I have to press A again.

I counted the button presses, from the initial "A" until the last "A" it's 11 button presses. I can hold dpad down inbetween, sure, but that's prone to overshoot thanks to lag and/or fat fingers.

It's awful and I have no idea what made them lay it out like that. And those who think the UI was designed with a pad/consoles in mind are well advised to plug in a gamepad and try it themselves. Frontier obviously haven't.

(as for missing information check out my post further up)

You know what I think the UI was inspired by? Touchscreens. I'm surprised we're not getting a hamburger icon on every page.

I'm playing with a gamepad. Trust me, it's a lot worse now, almost everything takes longer now compared to Horizons' UI......................

Well ok, I don't use a gamepad so I can't comment on its use: but I'd bet hard cash there's a much easier way than the one you're trying. Have you considered using your mouse, for instance? Presumably you have one, and it's right there in front of you.

In anticipation of your "Oh, but I don't like doing it that way" response: of course you don't; you're in the habit of doing it your way. I understand. Refer to the point I made earlier.

There's an online "virtual world" called 2nd life - you may have heard of it. It's owned by an outfit called Linden Labs. Well, a few years back they totally changed the UI........and you should have seen the hoohah it caused. People swore by all they held holy that they hated it more than they'd ever hated anything, ever, before. They swore that it'd cause the end of civilisation, and we'd all catch leprosy, and whatever else they could think of to justify their hatred. Honestly, you had to be there to believe it. Now, no one mentions it, or thinks of it, because we're all used to it. Would they want to return to the old interface? Not on your life.

That's all I want to say on the matter.

Deleted member 182079

D
Well ok, I don't use a gamepad so I can't comment on its use: but I'd bet hard cash there's a much easier way than the one you're trying. Have you considered using your mouse, for instance? Presumably you have one, and it's right there in front of you.

In anticipation of your "Oh, but I don't like doing it that way" response: of course you don't; you're in the habit of doing it your way. I understand. Refer to the point I made earlier.

There's an online "virtual world" called 2nd life - you may have heard of it. It's owned by an outfit called Linden Labs. Well, a few years back they totally changed the UI........and you should have seen the hoohah it caused. People swore by all they held holy that they hated it more than they'd ever hated anything, ever, before. They swore that it'd cause the end of civilisation, and we'd all catch leprosy, and whatever else they could think of to justify their hatred. Honestly, you had to be there to believe it. Now, no one mentions it, or thinks of it, because we're all used to it. Would they want to return to the old interface? Not on your life.

I'm playing Elite with a gamepad since 2015 and the button configuration is set in a way that I never have to reach for either keyboard, or mouse. It's been great. And if I remember correctly previously the number of clicks required for the same task was ~3 presses iirc.

I don't mind change - as long as it improves the status quo. This really, really does not.

As for your suggestion to use a mouse, I simply don't find it comfortable to put down my controller and then use M&K just because the UI no longer works as effectively (it used to and still does, very well in fact, in Horizons) as it kills the flow of the game for me. Others may put up with that but I'm not prepared to. Plus the solutions are quite simple (as per my previous post) so I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Why should the user bend over backwards to make the UI work? Wouldn't it make more sense to design the UI in a way that allows different input methods to control the game in a reasonably effective/efficient fashion? Other games manage this just fine - it's just EDO that's the outlier here.

And what are console players going to do when/if it launches on those? Keep a wireless mouse next to them on a sofa? Tail wagging the dog kind of thinking, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

i use a keyboard and a mouse.

Horizons: mouse over a star, a planet and i get type of planet, distance to star and who discovered and mapped it(if done). one click more in left pannel and i get all the info of the planet(size, temp, and so on) and this last is on meanwhile im in system map with all planets and stars.

oddysey: mouse over, at this momment i dont get much, but more important for explorers: discovered and mapped nothing. then i have to click and left pannel goes on, then i have to click again and right pannel pops up, then i have to click one info button and i get some info. but if i want more info i have to click again another button.

and believe me, when exploring and doing around 200 or 300 jumps, exploring each system you travel, some clicks less are a great quality of life.

im not against changes if QyL is better of them. but this ui is not an improvement of QoL.

and for me having paid oddysey, im playing horizons still, because of ui and lack of QoL features.

can someone please tell me HOW THE HELL i can see if i already scanned a planet or not? Oo
currently i make a passenger mission.
I tend to leave odyssey alone for some months and keep playind horizons -.-
My nice looking female fighter pilot look like a catastrophic ill or under drugs and 3 days of no sleeping looking person -.-
menus are clumsier -.-
in horizons you look left and with ONE look u can see if the passenger dont like danger or something, in odyssey you must click several times -.-
same with contact on spacestations: at the police youcan se at once if you have fines or such. here u must ckick every symbol..
the graphic is ugly daaark and the cockpit colours and windows( in horizons black) are grey now -.-
i HOPE this all will changing with some patches..
but please, can someone tell me how i can see if i already scanned a waterworld or earthlike or not?
Simple switch to Horizons

I want to go back to the Horizons UI, it was just so intuitive. I hate tile based UI's and always will. I had to get a third party app for all my computers to switch my Win10 UI back to a Win7 style.

While new system/galaxy map looks better, it is confusing and time consuming to scroll to most used buttons like "set destination" and "open system map". New bookmarks panel is quite good, but now you cant simply plot route for expample to carrier, it will set a system, not station as destination.

New hangar system looks good, thumbs up for ship graphics and dimensions, but we all need to see ship modules (like what weaponry it has, or do it equipped with fuel scoop) i dont wanna know how many guardian or engeneered modules ship has, thats rubbish.

On-foot menu need complete overhaul, it is counter intuitive garbage. May we just get holographic menu, which gonna resemble ship's 4 panels?

And im not even talking about outfitting screen

I'm so impressed with the new UI i've gone back to Horizons. Ship outfitting was the straw that broke me. Can we start with Horizons UI and improve it rather than trying to improve this appalling new UI.

Horizons has stayed the same (thankfully)
Yeah, I logged in today after getting home from vacation and was happy to see that Horizons hasn't been changed.

I'll check out Odyssey after all the paid beta testers get done with it for the console release.

I can't bear it. It's probably the absolutely worst example of user interface design I have ever seen. I'm retired now but we used to use storyboards and usability labs to try out things with actual users. If they would let me sit down with them in a lab and run the game as a user I can quickly show them just how bad this thing is. They don't even seem to know what it is that a user actually wants to do. There has plainly been zero analysis done on the data - no structured analysis anyway. If they had, then they would have seen that this design is just not functionally desirable. What does a player need at this point to facilitate the decisions to determine the next block of information needed? How does a picture (galaxy map) provide the essential information at the top level with USEFUL hot spots, with OPTIONAL details easily found and expanded?

Nah - not for me - I've gone back to Horizons. I like the graphics changes - for me on my machine they work well. But usability? Ha! I'm not interested in FPS anyway so I'll stay in Horizons and stay in my ship. CYA.

Console controls ruin it for PC players once again.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The new UI is for consoles and not PC's.

@Old Duck mentioned macros. Well, the only macros I know of are in VoiceAttack.

Maybe some automation with VA might help until Fdev changes it, but I would not hold my breath waiting for them.

It’s not “just” usability and available information.

The (on-foot) UI is also not adaptive!
I play on a 4:3 monitor and crucial UI elements are cut off and are therefore invisible in parts or even completely!
And before you say: “Who plays on a 4:3 screen anyway? Get a new monitor!” - this also seems to be an issue on 16:10 display ratio.

Really, FDev! Adaptive screens are UI 101!
This is just lazy coding ... and I’ve never before accused developers of this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom