No further VR development is both expected and makes sense

I did a rough comparison last night with my Quest 2 on medium VR settings - i7 2070 - EDO in space near planets flying around getting 30 -60 fps - EDH same envionment hardly dropped from 120fps - it's all going to be in the detail of the hardware and settings but they need to get a bit closer to the Horizons fps for the current playerbase to be happy with VR performance .

"look guys , FD can remove all the features which I don't use and that's ok"

the thread
This is my thought any time someone makes a new thread with a title resembling "why do people care about feature X" with the OP text being something along the lines of "I've personally never been interested and I don't think I would personally use it, so i dont think they should put it in the game at all."

There is no PS5 version. It's not planned.

What if I told you that VR (on legs) was totally possible in the engine?

Crazy, right?

Hold on, though. What if I told you that not only was it possible, it's actually already in the game. Right now.

A little official support from FDev would go a long way.
What?

VR headset owners aren’t a huge install base to begin with, and the subset of them who would care about Elite one way or another is even smaller than that. Of this subset of a subset, there’s a vanishingly small klatsch of diehards who outright refuse to play anything outside of VR (and they’re pretty much all in this forum), and they already bought the game anyway.
Complete logical fallacy here where you fail to take into account that ED in fact is very likely more popular among VR users (particularly hard core ones) than among the average gamer. Your ”subset of a subset” therefore in no way implies that the percentage of the ED playerbase that are VR players is smaller than the percentage of VR players anong gamers as a whole. Rather the opposite. Because ED has been a major title on the VR scene, the percentage of VR players is likely to be significantly higher than the percentage of gamers that play games in VR.

i hang around with 10 commanders that play at least 4 times a week. It’s rare that they go more than week not getting on and of these 10, 6 use VR.
I find of the new commanders I meet in Elite about 30 to 40% are VR users.

From this I would guess that VR users are more active as a group but that is only my observatio.

Complete logical fallacy here where you fail to take into account that ED in fact is very likely more popular among VR users (particularly hard core ones) than among the average gamer. Your ”subset of a subset” therefore in no way implies that the percentage of the ED playerbase that are VR players is smaller than the percentage of VR players anong gamers as a whole. Rather the opposite. Because ED has been a major title on the VR scene, the percentage of VR players is likely to be significantly higher than the percentage of gamers that play games in VR.
I have no doubt that Elite is, on balance, proportionally more popular with VR users (well, PC-bound VR gamers) than it is with gamers as a whole. But I really don’t see how that detracts from my main point at all.

The OP might have a point.... IF Fdev had released a cutting edge paradigm changing game with Odyssey.
Odyssey isn't cutting edge anything. The FPS gameplay is lack luster and can in no way compete with the giants in the industry. Their new planet tech is so buggy it might as well not exist. They once again implemented grind instead of engaging game play with the new game play elements.

Honestly VR and the Stellar Forge is the best thing this game has going for it, and the only things which make it a unique experience. And when they are at their best they are good enough to hold the game up all on their own. They threw away one, and broke the other.

Two options I see here:

Drop VR support for ED:O focus efforts for getting a viable product patched, content fixed or added and generally progressing ED:O to its next stage of evolution in a timely manner.

Or....
Let ED:O wallow in development hell splitting resources patching and trying to implement VR to foot and everyone is unhappy for years to come.

Before another foaming VR user links another "VR is possible" video. This is Fdev we are talking about. Look at their overall content and development speed over the past 7 years. Then tell me if this is something they can implement quickly with a straight face.

Personally, I think the wrong question is being asked. The right question is 'why add DLC that doesn't work with VR to a game that has great VR?'

That's a really great question. FDev brought VR content to the table and niched a market with it. VR and the stellar forge set Frontier apart, and still does years later. It was a brilliant move and a cornerstone to Frontier's growth.

I have no idea what the development factors are, but I do know that Frontier does (or did, 2022 fiscal year could be difficult) have the cash on hand to develop it. In the end, putting the money in the bank is going to cost them vastly more than sinking the cost into developing their product.

As a VR player, I can't imagine playing ED otherwise. I've resigned myself to Odyssey with the hopes that they'll develop VR, understanding that it is a growing market. I'm still waiting for that "Armstrong moment". Not only that, as a customer I still see "No VR at launch" as saying, "We intend to develop VR for our VR game at some point".

I can understand a bottom line sentiment such as, "the VR player base is a small subset, so it's not worth the development cost". I just find it short sighted. VR Odyssey would solidify Frontier's market share. Which has greater marketability and potential longevity, a garden variety fps dlc? Or a native VR dlc (added to an advertised VR product) with combat, exploration, and discovery set in the ED universe?

There's a lot of reasons for Odyssey's poor reception within the gaming community, but one of the biggest is that they moved away from what made them unique. Developing ED is not about "what we can't do", its success lies in realizing what can be imagined.

I just throw it in here: Elite is still a bestseller in the VR community and a lot of HMDs have been sold because of ED .

Also, this is perhaps not as niche as some think.

Take the Steam hardware charts for instance. There are nearly as many 4K gamers as VR players as a market.
Do you also want them to stop developing for higher fidelity and downgrade the textures, because nobody needs higher quality?
4K? That is a tiny market.

They're rather obligated to keep it for the base game because it's sold on Oculus store. I mean realistically all I want is a headlook thing, which is basically what we had before anyway with vehicles. What's a suit if not another vehicle? Just one that moves by ambulation instead of thruster packs (usually). Most of us aren't asking for the moon on this, just something that actually uses VR and the features it provides.

It is notable though that Odyssey is not sold on the Oculus store.

The issue is really they didn’t promise to add VR in odyssey, and it’s still in the part where you fly your ship, it’s actually a Big nothing burger.

They stated they wouldn't be adding VR in Odyssey. They then changed their stance to "at launch" after people complained - insinuating that they're going to implement it but not at launch. Now they've changed it again to VR no longer supported, which is after the VR people have purchased the DLC with no refunds.

It's a "nothingburger" (?) that each time want to walk on a planet or station you have to remove the headset, restart the game on your monitor, adjust graphic settings before you play, then reverse the whole process when you enter your ship again. Otherwise you're stuck with some low res poorly done grey bordered mess of a game?

You basically made my whole point.

They stated they wouldn't be adding VR in Odyssey. They then changed their stance to "at launch" after people complained - insinuating that they're going to implement it but not at launch. Now they've changed it again to VR no longer supported, which is after the VR people have purchased the DLC with no refunds.

It's a "nothingburger" (?) that each time want to walk on a planet or station you have to remove the headset, restart the game on your monitor, adjust graphic settings before you play, then reverse the whole process when you enter your ship again. Otherwise you're stuck with some low res poorly done grey bordered mess of a game?

You basically made my whole point.
You bought a DLC where you knew it would not be there from the start, and you expected it to be in the game a few weeks after launch?

son you need to change habits ....

Top Bottom