No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Wow, so Galnet, CG's, and Initiatives are all gone....for good? It's not just a temporary thing while resources are diverted to the New Era, but all of this content has simply been axed? Forever?

That's....kind of big news. And not good news either.
Doesn't mean "nothing" as in "zilch," "nada," "zero." They might have in mind something else, developed from that initial idea. As Bo said, and she is not part of the Elite team so don't lean heavily on what she says but accept it as indicative of what may happen next ....

........ The Elite CM team is working hard (and growing too, so there'll be more people who can help you further) ......... I'm sure they'll be back with fun activities soon, so bear with them <3!

According to information on FCs, we understand the support ships will be either for Exploration, Mining or Mercenary activities.

Interestingly, as I was looking for something else, I came upon this Gamewatcher article talking about their release in December. It lists more activities ! (Undoubtedly, they must have been given that list by FD) .

Fleet Carriers will feature 16 landing pads total, and will be able to support a wide variety of activities:
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Mercenary
  • Pirate
  • Trader
  • Smuggler
  • Miner
  • Explorer
  • Search & Rescue

According to information on FCs, we understand the support ships will be either for Exploration, Mining or Mercenary activities.

Interestingly, as I was looking for something else, I came upon this Gamewatcher article talking about their release in December. It lists more activities ! (Undoubtedly, they must have been given that list by FD) .

Fleet Carriers will feature 16 landing pads total, and will be able to support a wide variety of activities:
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Mercenary
  • Pirate
  • Trader
  • Smuggler
  • Miner
  • Explorer
  • Search & Rescue
Believe this was in the trailer released back in August.

It is very much implied that they are not currently planned to ever come back. That's quite the act of feature cutting in a game already starving for content in a dearth of development.
Right as right can be. What the CM wrote is not the kind of statement devs put out when they want players to feel hopeful about the direction their game is taking. Translated to plain English (as opposed to the language of commerce), what he said was: “Galnet, CGs, and Interstellar Initiatives are not coming back. Think whatever you like about why we are where we are and deal with it.”

It is very much implied that they are not currently planned to ever come back. That's quite the act of feature cutting in a game already starving for content in a dearth of development.
No it's not. It's implied that they don't have time to do it as they are working on the next expansion.

When the next expansion is released what do you think will happen? Will they all be made redundant as they are now not needed. No, I think we will see the return a short while after FCs are released when I would think that the next era will start internal testing.

This is typical Fdev forum talk of taking 2 + 2 and coming up with 5. There is zero evidence of your statement, so I will keep an open mind. Not that it bothers me anyway. For all we know there maybe an automated replacement of CGs and things like it in the next era. Could be why they are so busy.

Basically we just don't know at this moment.

Last edited:
The problem is the FSS isn't really fun. It's a tool. It does its thing but it's not super fun. In many ways it has a lot of parallels with SRV :\
I'm guessing, but I think before FSS you had a situation where the gameplay was mostly jumps-bangs and having a look at a system map. So basically this was like casting a line. The constant potential of an interesting system was what made the jump-bangs not repetitive. When you finally found something, you played the ship game to get it. But you weren't always playing the ship game, and there was always an immediate payback for a jump, so it kind of played to the game's strengths while downplaying the weaknesses in a way.

I've thought a bit about the whole ADS thing up to now, and I have a fairly fleshed out concept of why some people might have preferred the old way. It's sort of two entirely different approaches to what the actual finding is in discovery.

My biggest gripe with the FSS is that it's very effectively destroyed multi-cmdr systems.
People use the FSS to get to the system map as soon as possible so they can continue playing in the exact same way as before. That is why it's not liked, they see it as a barrier to playing the same way they were doing before. Instead they should be adapting the way they play. I don't alway scan a whole system from where I've jumped into. As soon as I've found a planet I want to explore, I close the FSS down and head over to it and so what I want to do, then open up the FSS to continue scanning etc.

People need to adapt the way they play otherwise they will not see the fun in it and it can be fun. I enjoy using it to find what I want to find.

That's the point: FSS gives you without any flying at all everything you could get with ADS + DSS and lots of flying.

FSS does make cherry-picking easier and more reliable - for example no more wasted minutes for a body that wasn't terraformable and no more missed terraformables.
They were both easy for cherry pickers. Earth likes and water worlds you had virtually instant knowledge of with the ADS. Terraformables you have faster knowledge of with the FSS. But I agree that too much information was taken from the DSS and put into the FSS. Some could and should be with the new DSS probes.

Last edited:
What totally beats me is how they can not even do any player CGs.
What, you think that the CGs or II's are a task anyone can do, all easy peasy like? I would envisage that there would be a bit of work involved. Firstly, someone would have to come up with the idea of the CG, and since they normally have two sides to it, coming up with both side of the argument. Next someone will have expand the initial concept into a somewhat feasible story that is at least in line with some aspect of the Lore (or at least not totally opposite everything else in the game). Once that is done, then it would be handed over to the devs to do the changes to the BGS for the CG, added any assets to the location, setting up the algorithms required to manage the players activities. Then the art department boys and girls would need to get involved to do the screens, GalNet articles, even the launcher artwork. The CM team then gets the nod to do the forum, FaceBook, Twitter and Reddit articles. And during the week long CG, there would be at least one person detailed to manage the CG, make sure it is still working, that the rewards are at a reasonable level, that the customer base is being informed of the current status.

Yeah, not much work at all, especially since the Community has been told that the teams focus is on the DLC.

What lore is the FSS in? And how does an optional ADS module that only locates planets invalidate the FSS when the FSS gives a lot more information than the ADS?
It's in the Elite Dangerous lore. Having both would make both not make any logical sense even if they are mutually exclusive.

What, you think that the CGs or II's are a task anyone can do, all easy peasy like? I would envisage that there would be a bit of work involved. Firstly, someone would have to come up with the idea of the CG, and since they normally have two sides to it, coming up with both side of the argument. Next someone will have expand the initial concept into a somewhat feasible story that is at least in line with some aspect of the Lore (or at least not totally opposite everything else in the game). Once that is done, then it would be handed over to the devs to do the changes to the BGS for the CG, added any assets to the location, setting up the algorithms required to manage the players activities. Then the art department boys and girls would need to get involved to do the screens, GalNet articles, even the launcher artwork. The CM team then gets the nod to do the forum, FaceBook, Twitter and Reddit articles. And during the week long CG, there would be at least one person detailed to manage the CG, make sure it is still working, that the rewards are at a reasonable level, that the customer base is being informed of the current status.

Yeah, not much work at all, especially since the Community has been told that the teams focus is on the DLC.
So, just recycle CGs. The nice thing about CGs is they get different types of players in same system at same time.

So, just recycle CGs. The nice thing about CGs is they get different types of players in same system at same time.
Yep that would cut one the first one or two team members or are you suggesting the entire BGS gets rolled back to the time of the previous CG?

I am not saying CG's aren't nice or whatever, I am trying to get through that CGs and IIs aren't a one person task they can do during breaks from their real job.

Having both would make both not make any logical sense even if they are mutually exclusive.

Of course they do.

The ADS would be a automation enhancement, just like an optional supercruise assist occupying an extra slot automates the mundane task of keeping a straight line and stopping at the end, an optional ADS occupying an extra slot would also automate the mundane task of pointing at the marked circles.

In fact, having to manually point at the already marked circles is what doesn't make any logical sense. If the scanner already knows where everything is, as it clearly highlights all the stuff for you, then what's the point of having to point?

No, he isn't....
Perhaps the knife should be pointed the other way? There is a minority still spitting out their dummies and throwing the toys out of the pram whenever FSS is mentioned... Who might be the exception in this case, I wonder?
Hey be fair, I am pretty sure some of those pacifier expellers might have actually tried the FSS before declaring it bad, at least they had an somewhat informed decision!

• Bounty Hunter
  • Mercenary
  • Pirate
  • Trader
  • Smuggler
  • Miner
  • Explorer
  • Search & Rescue

As others have said, that's old news from last year. It's also pretty vague and I don't think that actually means new activities. It "supports" them, which could mean very little.

You can go to a RES site for some bounty hunting, and then dock at your carrier.
You can do some kill missions, and then dock at your carrier.
You can pirate NPCs or other players, .... and then dock at your carrier.
etc.

Jokes aside, I really don't expect any more than the Bounty Hunter support ship simply being a contact to hand in bounties, or the Miner version providing a commodity market, etc.

TLDR: These are just indications for what station services are available.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom