"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

To be honest it's on the list of my main 'requirements' for E: D on PS5. Along with PSVR support, greater peripheral support, and Cross Play / Cross Save.

Hey, a man can dream!
Dream you will my friend. From the sounds of it, essentially it will be a PS4 port onto the PS5, no changes just better performance.

Sony, not Elite has to make allowances for other peripherals.

Elite on PC can run a plethora (I use a DS4 controller for instance on my PC version of the game) of input devices. Open architecture allows that, Sony has a proprietary system, therefore restricting such peripherals to "Sony Approved" to keep a hold on the market share and streamline people to buying only that.

Makes sense, business wise.

Cross Play, well would be a breath of fresh air. In the 2 weeks I have been on PC, I have ran into more CMDR's than a whole year of Elite PS4. Much larger community. Throw in the XBOX people, wow, Space has become busy. This would be a good idea. Would be also good to play on PC but still hang out with my PS4 group/squadron.

Cross Save, I would like to buy into that dream as well.

Gary

From 27th Oct 2020, the 'base' game disappears. Horizons and Base become a single offering - It's like Frontier have had to submit their game(s) to Microsoft / Sony for accreditation and thought:

Why bother with the base game? we want everyone to be on Horizons, let's save the cost of processing of two games through accreditation and at the same time say we're improving the game for new players.

#conspiracy

From 27th Oct 2020, the 'base' game disappears. Horizons and Base become a single offering - It's like Frontier have had to submit their game(s) to Microsoft / Sony for accreditation and thought:

Why bother with the base game? we want everyone to be on Horizons, let's save the cost of processing of two games through accreditation and at the same time say we're improving the game for new players.

#conspiracy
The BD was only available as horizons version... IF horizons is now the same exact price as base game then the user base gains horizons for no extra cost..
And the store only sells 2 versions not 3 (commanders edition was available as well)... All of horizons code is still downloaded even if you only buy the base game. its a digital unlock token when horizons was released, as you still need all the assets from horizons to play the base game as youll still get shot at by horizons only ships with engineering...

Personally, and I know the responses I’ll get to this as it has been resolved.

Thanks to Arthur for confirming the status for all of us, but since they’re giving out Horizons as a free upgrade to those that own the base game. I say give those of us of whom owned the ELITE with horizons/Commander edition thine Cobra MKIV...

Regarding PS5, I will just be happy if the game works well on PS5, any additional performance gains would be beneficial.
If it doesn’t work well, or runs worse (it shouldn’t, but who knows) then it may be time to hang up the Remlock.

There's been some more information leaked on backwards compatibility that suggests the situation may be a little more complex that "it'll just work" :

Web page source code at https://checkout.playstation.com/error# contains interesting new PS5 info

It seems this is info will be presented on the Web-based PlayStation Store through prompts/error messages.

-Backwards Compatibility:

• "playing PS4 games on PS5, some functionalities available on PS4 may not be available. See www.playstation.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility for more details." (dead link, currently)
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game"
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."
  • "PS5 boost mode enabled"
So, not all PS4 games will be supported, and indeed, as suggested a few months back, you'll need to update the system OS to access newly compatible PS4 games.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/j28s89 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/j28s89/more_ps5_info_on_backcompat_forced

Good news: there'll be a PS5 boost mode. Probably similar to the PS4 pros. I had it always turned on and had never problems, so I hope it'll be the same with the PS5 (but obviously a lot more hardware changed, so more problems could occur I guess).

ED in 60fps with a higher resolution? That would be neat.

There is some hope for a PS5 version eventually, maybe... possibly...

1601996290776.png

There is some hope for a PS5 version eventually, maybe... possibly...

View attachment 190583

There’s no doubt in my mind that the devs have touched a PS5 Devkit.

Whether they’re secretly testing an upgraded version of ELITE for both of the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles, is something they’re evidently not willing to let us know.
At this pivotal point, close to the release of both, they are playing dangerously, I mean if any of you or myself were to upgrade and sell off our PS4’s, we’re going to have to hope for backwards compatibility as a minimum, otherwise we’re potentially - ELITE: The End

Having it run at least as it currently does, would be enough initially in my eyes.

o7

I imagine the announcement will be something like this:

... or else they'll just post DOOOOOOOOOM! :ROFLMAO:

What concerns me a bit is that the PS4 planet coaster save game doesn't seem to be fully compatible with the PS5 version. But for ED basically everything is stored on FDevs servers (apart from the control settings or so), so this problem shouldn't apply to ED.

But first we need a PS5 confirmation... I am quite optimistic that there will be one at some point, but when...

Saved myself the hassle, I have recently (beginning of September) moved over to PC, I think the PS5 version may be a quite a bit away. Will it happen, of course, but when is the bigger question.

If a PS5 version drops which is similar to Elite on PC, then you PS5 people are in for a treat!

Gary

I believe that the PS5 is backward compatible with most of the PS4 games and even ED is no exception.
It might even run a little faster and cleaner.

The concern has come from the two comments

- Sony: 99% of existing games will work
and
- Bottone & Hughes comment in interview: it’s not currently planned for PS5.... when we do, we want it to be special...

it SHOULD be okay, it is just a case that no-one is looking at it, hence the request asking for Frontier acknowledgment. One month until we’ll find out... (hopefully before)

You know what I would like? Something like this...

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
It's now addressed here by Frontier, it works or will. Case closed I guess.

Thanks to boppa for the twitch link.

Somepeople can predict the future others make it happen. Once there is an actual user base of xbox series x and ps5 users lets see how the dev studio react.

Top Bottom