"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

According to the shelves at Walmart pc games have discs too. I haven't played a game on disc on console since ps3 lmao
Were not these vouchers to download from steam in side a box... same as Game sold the game as a digital PSN down load codes on there web site before SIE blocked and removed digital third party sales..

Were not these vouchers to download from steam in side a box... same as Game sold the game as a digital PSN down load codes on there web site before SIE blocked and removed digital third party sales..
Idk I play on console. But I know my friends sister has like 40 different discs for her sims games on PC, physical discs. How much is on the disc, to me, is beside the point as it is still a disc in a case bought from the store.

That doesn't mean considerations for other platforms shouldn't be made. Things like this could eventually lead to a new breed of recognized social injustice. Console gamers are every bit as valid a PC games, are we not? If console didn't make gaming mainstream would PC games even be what they are today?

I'd go further. Since almost all AAA games are written for consoles and then ported to PC (the port may be simultaneous), consoles & their hardware drive PC gaming. It's why even if you don't own or plan to own a console, if you play games on PC at all, a new console release is significant.

Also, just for the record, my PS4 copy of E: D does not come with a disc. All my PS4 titles are digital.

Consoles still have physical discs... just because you launch the title does not mean you can still play it in another 6 months many users Buy and then sell...
This is why Spy ware and trophies are added to see if the users ever make progress in the title...
You can sell 100,000 copies and have 25,000 of them sat in the bargin bin at trade in and resellers storage it means you lost them...
Digital only versions tied to those who make progress in unlocking a trophy that requires more thsn 1 months play is a better show of the active user base and those who could return...
This is why trophies were added as they track Active players the bonus of getting so far for the player is a good side efect...
The percentage of those who sold on 1 market on a station - for those who sold at 100 stations shows how many dumped the game for example these give developers and publishers stats for how many bothered and how far...
Sony must love me havnt played another game since end Jan and dont try their freebies they say im 83% completed but Ive only just started :eek:

I have the disc and all my PS3 and 2,s as well

Disc based games receive updates either way. It wasn't a very good argument to begin with. Anyone who played cod black ops zombies from a disc knows they used to patch bugs often and it still affected the disc based copy of the game just as much

I consider them lost. If one cannot log at least 50h and find ED enjoyable, they will never pick it up again.

ED is not everyone's game, the learning curve is really steep, the timesink required by the game is big, the attrition rate is heavy
that's the thing, that 280k is those who have bought the game and won trophies. So the assumption is they've played it.

Consoles still have physical discs... just because you launch the title does not mean you can still play it in another 6 months many users Buy and then sell...
This is why Spy ware and trophies are added to see if the users ever make progress in the title...
You can sell 100,000 copies and have 25,000 of them sat in the bargin bin at trade in and resellers storage it means you lost them...
Digital only versions tied to those who make progress in unlocking a trophy that requires more thsn 1 months play is a better show of the active user base and those who could return...
This is why trophies were added as they track Active players the bonus of getting so far for the player is a good side efect...
The percentage of those who sold on 1 market on a station - for those who sold at 100 stations shows how many dumped the game for example these give developers and publishers stats for how many bothered and how far...
Honestly, most people I know dont buy disk copies anymore, and no doubt in my mind this next generation most people (on the sony side anyway) will get the digital edition to save cash (and it looks better).

I own the ED Premium Beta, I get all the PC releases for free, and I STILL want to play on the console because I actually like relaxing-on the couch with a controller, which is actually a decent way to fly and has gyro look and some other cool things I like.

Honestly, most people I know dont buy disk copies anymore, and no doubt in my mind this next generation most people (on the sony side anyway) will get the digital edition to save cash (and it looks better).

I own the ED Premium Beta, I get all the PC releases for free, and I STILL want to play on the console because I actually like relaxing-on the couch with a controller, which is actually a decent way to fly and has gyro look and some other cool things I like.
I still buy discs if possible, so I can trade them in when I'm done. At 50 quid a pop, any savings on buying games are very welcome

20200819_114732.jpg

Very disappointing. On the plus side, there's no need to rename this sub forum any more.

Will I buy a PS5? Yes.
Will I buy Beyond? Yes.
Will I test Beyond/ED running on PS5? Yes.
Will I give back my PS5 or ED/Beyond in case its combination should not run in the beginning? No.
Can I wait with all my speculation until PS5 release (which obviously shall be before launch of Beyond)? Yes.
In the meantime I will just enjoy what I have.

Fly dangerous guys!
And hopefully - enjoy!
o7

Still just hoping the ED PS4 version will run on PS5 AND will access the same CMDR save on Frontiers servers ... at least that way improved frame rate might be possible ...

As for digital vs disc games ... I do have some games on digital if I’m sure they’re keepers but otherwise I prefer going for disc. At £50+ a go I like to be able to get a few quid back selling them on when I’m done. Really think the price of digital games on consoles being the same as the disc copies - which are already far more than the PC copies - is ridiculous.

Really think the price of digital games on consoles being the same as the disc copies - which are already far more than the PC copies - is ridiculous.
Agreed! I get how physical discs have costs like, the disc for starters, and packaging so I'd expect them to be more expensive than clicking a download link...

At the moment i buy discs for single-player games, or ones which may become "classics" and i may want to revisit sometime in the future; digital for multiplayer (or mostly MP only) where the game will be dead once the servers are turned off.

Sure digital has nominal better convenience (i remember before TV's had remotes, and you had to walk over to it to change channel! :p pffft millennials), but at the mo digital may not be cheaper and you're at the mercy of companies that gimp a game through either patches or server uptime.

At least with a disc i can put it in and play the day-one (or technically pre-day one) version, and i own the game, digital and you're basically renting something at full price.

For newer ED players, David Braben (OBE) said way back:
"We have no intention of taking the servers down, but I understand what you are getting at. We plan to archive the game from time to time (ie matching client and servers and game world state), and would release such an archive if the servers were to come down. That would also address the issue of how you preserve an online game for the future, from the whole 'retro' perspective."

Of course who knows if they'll honour that, a lot of desgin commitee stuff hasn't happened, but there's a slim chance an offline ED would be available when the servers go.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60284&page=14&p=1024593&highlight=#post1024593

Last edited:
Top Bottom