Newcomer / Intro Noob questions, Player with Neutral Status?

Generally the higher paying trading missions, or any other sort, aren’t offered to you until your standing with the mission provider is Friendly or Allied which happens by doing enough work of one sort or another for them or selling exploration data if they are the faction in charge.

As an alternative to trading missions or the sort of trading Para Handy mentions above certain systems have a station that sells something referred to as a Rare Goods item these generally are named after the system, Leestian Evil Juice.
They are only available in very small quantities that replenish on the station every 10 minutes or so and there is a cap on how many of that particular item you are permitted to have on your ship at one time, when you reach that cap they will no longer show up on the Commodities Market.
The thing about Rare Goods is that if you go far enough from the source system (~>175Ly) the selling price will shoot up, it is possible to set up loops where you make your way around several stations selling these items when you get part way round you start selling the oldest items to make space for the new ones.
There are websites that track the states of Rare Goods stations as that affects the quantities available and the cap on what you can carry, Rare Goods aren’t shown on EDDB I am not sure about Inara.
Some of these Rare Goods are intoxicants or other items that aren’t allowed in all systems so pick and choose which ones you carry or expect to have to smuggle your way onto some stations on your loop, also there are some Rare Goods available at locations that can cause issues for the unwary.

For the above - great, thx :).

What about the "IP connection lost issue" bug - does anyone know if they are working on the solution?
I was flying to HEIKE now and was just booted out of the server during the jump to Sigma Draconis - lost connection a second before jumpdrive was about to disengage. Now I can't reconnect and I've no idea if my ship isn't already inside a star :mad:. Last time I got this disconnect while starting from the station on autopilot (hopefuly after reconnecting my ship was safely docked).

Strange the game is unable to reconnect itself to the server and I have to close-reopen it, my connection is stable cable and everything else works well.

Edit: ok, I'm safe after reconnecting, found my ship 6k LY from nearest star. I guess it's a built-in fail safe design, for which I'm grateful. However the bug is annoying and I'm sure not my side :unsure:.

Last edited:
I was flying to HEIKE now and was just booted out of the server during the jump to Sigma Draconis - lost connection a second before jumpdrive was about to disengage. Now I can't reconnect and I've no idea if my ship isn't already inside a star :mad:. Last time I got this disconnect while starting from the station on autopilot (hopefuly after reconnecting my ship was safely docked).
It's cool, this happens all the time.
So often that there are precautions in place for it. Any time you lose connection like this you're returned to the last safe place, be it the drop-in point for the system, the station you last undocked from, but didn't get out of the radius of, etc.

Today few screenshots and maybe weird questions.

1. Stocked single pc. Biowaste at lowest price (I guess should be the highest if it's almost no stock), with a kind notice "HIGH SUPPLY IN THIS MARKET..." :rolleyes:
Is it a bug or just have to reload the game?

2. How to undestand that the same collected data from mapped planets, have different values in different ports (both ports in -20 LY so can't sell)? :unsure:
Curious that the price for Alisonworld data is the same in both ports (should be higher in Ross Colony, right?)...why?

3. I got a message that I was first to discover some bodies, but I'm sure I wasn't the first, because I still didn't find any virgin system, without seeing everywhere this "first discovered/mapped by x player", so why I got that screen? :unsure:

1. "High supply" simply means that no-one has bought any from there in a while, so the prices are lower, and the quantities higher, than the station would be if things were "normal" (neither High nor Low). In this case, "quantities" is mostly irrelevant, because the station's population is tiny. Tiny populations don't make much, of anything, and at Colony economy stations, the only thing they make is biowaste.

2. It's a bug, introduced with the FSS/DSS. We don't know why it does it, or how to reproduce it on demand. It's been discussed in this thread.

3. This too, is unfortnately, a bug. We don't know if it's linked to your question number 2 or not. But mapping previously explored planets, or planets which were never Explorable prior to the implementation of Mapping, was glitched when it first came out (Mapping was erasing over earlier First Discovered tags, which people were understandably upset about); they quickly patched over the glitch but it still throws up occasional false "first discovered by" messages, when you were not the First Discoverer. Just ignore them.

Suffice to say that, this long after the game launched, there are no longer any inhabited systems in the Bubble which you or anyyone else can be First Discoverer of.

This is also very interesting: It also seems there is a bonus of 1000 per body for fully scanning a system, and another bonus of 10000 per mappable body for fully mapping a system.
Because so far I was following the rule to scan only valuable worlds without the majority of Icy Bodies, now I'll be trying to scan them all, if per full system means the Icy gives a multiple of 11.000 cr. Still short on credits so every penny counts :).

It's all a matter of income rate: credits per hour. Yes, you can get an extra 100,000 credits by mapping all ten ice worlds in a brown dwarf system, but it might take you an hour or more to fly up to each one and map it. There are faster ways of attaining 100,000 credits, or more. Jumping to another system, such as a nearby Agricultural star system and mapping the Earth-like planet that almost certainly will be there, then jumping to another one, etc. will gain you more credits than getting the "completion bonus" for a family of iceballs.

For me, the Completion Bonus is more of an incentive if I've already mostly-mapped a system. Example: imagine a system with seven worlds: one metal-rich landable, one Earth-like, two Terraformable HMCs (both with nearby landable moons) and one distant iceball. If I'm Bubble-Mapping for credits, I'll scan the first four, as well as the two moons simply because I'm already there at their HMC parent planets and it takes almost no extra time to fire a probe or two at the moons. So, I've got a couple million credits from scanning this system already. But that distant iceball I wouldn't normally bother with because it's only worth a few thousand credits? It's now worth 70,000 extra credits, maybe making it worth my while.

Last edited:
Two issues for today:
1. Why, when I'm disengaged from supercruise, and I'm pointing directly to the sharp outside edge of a planetary ring (which is also the edge of the hot spot), I find myself so far from the asteroids - distance in Mm? No way to get there without entering again supercruise and disengage again few secs. later. Weird.

2. Any idea why the collection limpets do not have build-in proper collision fail-safe? Many limpets are destroyed when they fly too close to asteroids or when a node they want to pick up is slightly below the rock - when the limpet picks a node it always moves straight up, so in this situation they hit the rock above and die.

Also sometimes the floating mineral nodes are entering inside the rocks. Limpet dies on trying to pick the node up from inside.

On the other hand I get multiple times this "prospector limpet failed" message from the ships computer, few seconds after I deployed prospector into nearest rock and it flies. I suspect an additional limpet is lost in the proces but I'm not sure... Usually I deploy prospector when my engines are zero speed with cargo closed.

Last edited:
Limpets are cheap programmable junk drones, they only cost 101 credits, smart collision avoidance/piloting modules cost much more and are way bigger, just look how big and dumb Docking Computers are at more than ten times the price. A smart drone would be seriously uneconomic.

I get multiple times this "prospector limpet failed" message from the ships computer, few seconds after I deployed prospector into nearest rock and it flies. I suspect an additional limpet is lost in the proces but I'm not sure...
See the number on your prospector limpet controller for the max number of limpets controlled?
Whenever you launch a new one and already have that many prospectors out, it will automatically destroy the oldest one, and give you that message.

Question for tonight - can I have two ships in same station and while the first is a miner (eg. Asp Ex) the second only keeps the goods in cargo bay.
I mine ores, go back to station, transfer ore to the carrier, and go back to mine. Once I mined enough and made multiple routes to fill the cargo bay, I leave miner and take the carrier (eg. Type-9) to nearest best paying station, in order to exchange all ores for nice mound of credits. Possible?

Question for tonight - can I have two ships in same station and while the first is a miner (eg. Asp Ex) the second only keeps the goods in cargo bay.
I mine ores, go back to station, transfer ore to the carrier, and go back to mine. Once I mined enough and made multiple routes to fill the cargo bay, I leave miner and take the carrier (eg. Type-9) to nearest best paying station, in order to exchange all ores for nice mound of credits. Possible?

When you change ships all cargo is transferred over. If the ship you move to doesnt have enough space, you need to ditch sufficient cargo first. So, unfortunately, no.

Hi, please reply to few noob questions (sorry if it's too long) :)

1. As a newbie, I'm interested in flying with other people and see others in space, but this pvp harrasment is... well flying in a constant stress brings some fun but for longer it's exhausting.
The usual situation, I fly a hauler, no weapons, no cargo, harmless rank, courier missions between Dromi and some other, if I recall correctly it was Battuta station, and I'm interdicted by someone telling me to prepare myself. I'm not sure if it was a player or an NPC, because I had to keep an eye on that mini game. I did it and saw the blue bar filled in full so I guess I won...
But... I was flying to a target station, and around I noticed few individuals with Wanted status, so I didn't try my luck and jumped back to safe system. Thus I could not achieve the task and it's a bit annoying. Do I need to switch to Solo for a safe flying? Is it the only way? Maybe I can switch to neutral status in Open, that lets me be with players, who by default can not attack me?
Such untouchable status would be much more interesting I think, at least for the social humble traders / couriers like me :)...

2. I was put in such situation. I was trying to operate within starting systems only, and I didn't notice that by picking some courier job I jumped to a remote system out of the starting zones. My fault of course. I also remember I didn't pick that mission to get 100k cr. if I fly out of start system - I bet I lost this opportunity now...
Being there in that system's station, checking commodities I noticed a good bussiness opportunity to make with the Dromi system, from where I came here. 36k profit for a noob like me was a cool thing, so I grabbed the goods on haste and was trying to jump back to Dromi - but my permit was cancelled :eek:. Of course... I left the starting systems with appropriate rank so they are now closed for me...
But... why the game is constructed this way... why the heck a humble trader with no weapons, but full stock of minerals, cannot enter a system and do bussiness with a station? Ok the permission for starting systems works here, but why not getting just the limited permission for trading, with auto-lock weapons etc.? I find it a bit annoying, as I'm left alone with full cargo of expensive goods for which I have to find another station without loosing my money, not even from pirates, but the inflation :rolleyes:. Sure I wasn't paying attention, but generally it's an issue for newcomer :geek:.

3. Targeting and radar is a pain for me, especially when I choose a remote station for target and see it on main screen (as in screenshot for Fermat City). Now when I loose that target from view, how the heck can I see it again, where is it, in which direction turn my ship? I don't see any markers in the screen corners, where they should be imo (in other games, like the X3Reunion, when a target is not visible on screen it's marked with dynamic markers moving on the edges of the screen, so you see where to turn ship to face them again. Here I have only radar on which I can't find the target, especially if it's a remote station. Or probably I do something wrong, so please help...
View attachment 141594

4. I'd like to spend some RL coins in the Livery section, but it directs me to the Frontier Store.
Is it possible to buy these items using money from the Steam wallet? I bought this game on Steam and don't want to use extra money out of Steam wallet (no credit card too).

5. When I was creating New Account/New CMDR name, I wasn't aware (I think there wasn't any notice about it) that it's important if the letters typed are small or big (capitals). So now I see my name the way below - on the left only capitals, and on the right mixed. Any way to correct it? It works against my immersion when I read those automatic messages. And I'm sure when creating cmdr name all letters I typed in were automatically displayed as capitals.
View attachment 141599

Edit:
6. In Comprehensive Beginner's Guide I read that "Be warned, pulling a clean ship out of SC will land you a 400cr fine".
Erm... how much? 400 cr fine for messing around my tail and wasting my time? :oops: Why it's not at least 40k or 100k by default?
Even for a starting zone, 400 cr fine, even for a complete newbie it's nothing, once he did the first courier jobs...

1. Join Moebius which is a PvE dedicated PG. Ditch open and play with Moebius

2. Join Moebius which is a PvE dedicated PG. Ditch open and play with Moebius

3. Check the HUD display picture you posted in #3. Once you target a ship, it will show up where that planetary outpost station is. Basically, any object/ship you target will show up in that holo display. Also note that you'll be able to see what the ship shield strength is as it takes on damage. Once the 3rd inner ring in depleted, the ship is vulnerable and (if it can't recharge its shields on time) will be destroyed. Besides this, the moving target blip should be shown in RED on your radar indicated by the < >. The system NPC authorities will show up as green blips. And the other neutral/non hostile NPC ships as white blips. This of course, assumes you didn't change the console HUD color display using a HUD customizer like the one at the link below that is.....

https://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

4. Since you're on PC, I believe you're limited to purchases from the FDev store and not Steam. I have both PC/Steam and XBX1 accounts. I tried buying a ship kit for my PC account & also got directed to the store. But never tried checking if using Steam was a viable option. The good news is we're getting online store access with the update FDev will be adding to ED later this year (including a new in game currency Arx instead of credits).

5. Doubt if there is a way to change anything in your account name without deleting your commander (and existing game progress first).

Finally, one differentiation you can quickly make between a real player and an NPC one is the "CMDR" in their name.

No. You can only switch to a ship that has enough cargo space to hold what you currently have, and all cargo moves to the new ship.
What some people do, is have a high jump and defendable Conda parked up. Mine with a medium ship that is more suited to mining, but with a rubbish fsd. Go back and swap to the Conda, them fly off to a system with ultra high prices.

Top Bottom