Not a normal game

Then again there are those who try to frame any kind of criticism as a 'doom' post and therefore something that should be dismissed out of hand, even if there may be a kernel of truth hidden within.

Certainly there are extremes on both sides, though they tend to co-exist quite happily on my ignore list.

Personally, I'd be happier if the mods were more stringent when it comes to considering posts that according to forum rules are required to be at least respectful and not personal attacks.
Like this?
You don't care how bad it is? 😔

Wow FD must love people like you

Learn to do what? Are you speaking on behalf of the community? Have you seen the light and "know how it should be done"?

Next time, lets start a post like that with "IMO".
Sadly, the guy is right. They. Never. Learn.

Or, the devs that did learn are no longer working for Frontier.

It always baffles me when Elite is treated like it's just another game. It's not.
Nobody ever tried something like this before let alone adding more and more stuff to it.
Odyssey is a brutally ambitious project and I don't get how people are able to look past that.

I don't care about the bugs and glitches that are in the game right now.
I also don't care about how messed up the launch was.
I especially don't care about assumptions about the why and how and who's responsible.

In my opinion the devs of this wonderful game deserve respect for what they created and I'd pay double for a DLC half as complex and double as broken as Odyssey is right now.

There. Bash me all you like. I won't read it.

Godspeed, Frontier!
You are just asking...
jFb8pRF.png

RjLxlnZ.png

to be burned!

I agree with you by the way.

It always baffles me when Elite is treated like it's just another game. It's not.
Nobody ever tried something like this before let alone adding more and more stuff to it.
Odyssey is a brutally ambitious project and I don't get how people are able to look past that.

I don't care about the bugs and glitches that are in the game right now.
I also don't care about how messed up the launch was.
I especially don't care about assumptions about the why and how and who's responsible.

In my opinion the devs of this wonderful game deserve respect for what they created and I'd pay double for a DLC half as complex and double as broken as Odyssey is right now.

There. Bash me all you like. I won't read it.

Godspeed, Frontier!
True - But you agree that it's incomplete at this point right?
So why not just call it early access, sell it as such on Steam - and let people judge for themselves?
I think they would have made more money and get better reviews.
Instead of people bashing this "complete" product for all its problems - They would say "Yes I know it's early access and have bugs - but look how much they already accomplished!"

If you've been here long enough you'll know the game has had many rocky moments, but it's always come out ok. It's sad that Frontier's seemingly decided to release despite issues which I'd imagine were reasonably well known about. I suspect some other issues might have come as a bit of a surprise, but I guess we'll never really know.

Things will sort themselves out and once the drama has died down Im sure we'll have a really fun addition to the game.

You could always try reporting posts you feel break the rules. Do you know how busy this forum is recently ;)
I am pretty sure the post in question wasn't breaking any rules, it just happened to be the other end of the fanboy spectrum.
Apparently some people are unwilling to see the bad and some people are unwilling to see the good.

Nobody ever said that we are mad at the developers. We are mad at the decision makers.
Those telling the devs what to do and what not to do. Everything wrong in this world is
and always was the fault of the decision makers.

Really? You don't care about bugs and glitches?
I mean, I can be forgiving, more or less patiently waiting for fixes, but it doesn't mean I don't care about bugs and glitches. If you say you don't care, you probably don't play.

And if you are so happy to accept full release to be in such state, then that and worse is what you're going to be getting. Why bother if consumers are so forgiving that they are willing to thorw money at you even if you provide them with unfinished product?

There would be less of a krapstorm if Frontier would sell Odyssey as EA. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, I've lowered my expectations, I'm trying to have fun despite bugs and glitches - and I'm not overly outraged like some people, but I would prefer not to trudge through this game, but rather enjoy it fully.
Agreed. If somebody loves a game, it would be foolish not to care about bugs, sometimes game-breaking bugs, because what incentive (other than complaints AND, particularly, sagging sales) does a publisher have to release games that are as bug-free as is possible?

If people buy bug-ridden crap without complaining, they shouldn't be surprised if that is all they are getting.

There is a difference between disrespectful and offering criticism. The latter actually HELPS, everybody, 'cause that way, the developers rake in more cash (happier customers).

I'll just leave this here.

Well, at first it seemed to turn out they don’t. When the new version of Blade of Destiny was released, it was a major trainwreck. It missed numerous features and content from the original game, it looked terrible with abysmal performance to boot, and it was riddled with bugs over bugs over bugs. Apparently even the original producer at UIG was pulled from the project to push it out regardless of quality concerns. The game in its release state was easily the worst in the whole year of 2013 (and that was the year when Ride to Hell: Retribution came out). Appearing aside the fact that UIG started to sell the original Blade of Destiny – which for years had only appeared in retail bundled with the rest of the trilogy – as a standalone a few months prior, this seemed just like another cynical botch job geared at scraping some quick buck by exploiting nostalgia.

But then, something surprising happened: Over the next few months, Crafty Studios – whose core team for the game consists of only two guys – kept slaving over the game, putting out more than 30 patches in quick succession. By the end of the year, the remake was barely even recognizable as the alpha quality product that was first sold. It looked better, worked better and had a better performance. The below is a review of that version, which was used as the basis for the Gold re-release.
In the end, they even somehow were let to remaster Sternenschweif (Star Trail for our english DSA players). But the initial impression was horrible, and the usually laid back german fanbase was in a frenzy. This is what happens when you botch the launch of a beloved franchise/game.

Odyssey isn't ambitious and it isn't a good game.

Frontier did a lot of pretty lazy design choices like nerfing damage from ship weapon against human npcs to an absurd weakness instead of giving the surface settlements effective anti ship defence.
That's especial obvious in the ground conflict zone that "the sphere of combat" lacks any kind of attempt to balance between ships, SRVs and human npc soldiers.
Ambitious would be to balance that game loop in a way that hoovering above the settelemt in a ship with dumb fire missle would not be the best choice to play it.

Even Elite Dangerous and Horizions were not ambitious and have been done before - by Frontier Developments with Elite II & Frontier First Encounters.
The difference was that Elite Dangerouse was done well, and Frontier avoided much of the bad features and failures from Elite II & First Encounters (like the realistic, but boring flight mechanics). That's no ambitious, that was good project managment.
Something that Odyssey is clearly lacking.

Such a biowaste narrative. Yes, Elite is (just) a normal video game. The Stellar Forge isn't too different from seeds in Minecraft.

I don't see you this should in any way be a viable excuse for making the decision to release Odyssey in such a state. Some people are such hardcore apologists, I don't see what they are getting out of it.

But what is even the point of this thread? OP proudly proclaimed he won't read any replies anyway. That's not how discussions work. Is this just a troll thread?

Well I already paid twice as much because my LEP isn’t yet cost-effective (this is not a complaint, I’m pretty happy with it overall especially with a new expansion) but twice as broken? No thank you.

FD is rightly in hot water over this. It frustrates me to no end, not because I’m dealing with bugs, I don’t give a hoot about that, but because this expansion could have been incredibly popular, it could have brought so many new people to this game I love. Instead people will see it and if they haven’t heard all the bad press they may be excited for a minute until they see the reviews.

We’ve got long-time fans refusing to use the new expansion, our community is fractured, and new players are going to be dissuaded by the sea wall of (accurate) negative reviews. It’s bad, and it’s not just bad for Frontier it’s bad for us. Just because you or I or a moderate number of fans can see past the bugs and get a glimpse of how great this expansion is for the game as a whole doesn’t mean people aren’t justified in saying “I don’t want to spend $40 on something so buggy, that so many people are panning”

I appreciated David’s JFK quote, I know some people did not, but “Never been done before” doesn’t mean they get a pass on saying it was ready to buy and play, when far too much didn’t change from the end of Alpha 4.

I love Odyssey, I’m playing every day, I’m seeing improvements from the hot fixes and I’m downloading update 1 as I write this. But I think being oblivious to why people are upset is as damaging to the Elite community as being unwilling to see the fun and the potential in Odyssey.

I think the most positive thing a fan can do is report bugs, confirm bugs others have reported, and be realistic about what is acceptable. This is no time to have our heads in the sand.

I sometimes wonder if people who play this game have ever actually played any other games. The amount of stockholm syndrome around here is crazy.

The idea that Odyssey (and ED in general) is some crazy ambitious project beyond anything attempted before is absurd. The procedurally generated galaxy is certainly really cool (imagine if we actually had fleshed out exploration features!) and it's got a fun flight model (although the yaw/roll thing is stupid and silly for a spaceship) and ship outfitting is neat (although unfortunately unbalanced with far, far too many useless modules). Beyond that it's basically a mediocre MMO (and it's barely an MMO... it's more of a single player game that has all the downsides of a MMO) at best that is lacking content. The game does have enormous potential though - I'm just not sure there's any chance it ever gets there after all these years.

Setting that aside - the "ambition" or lack thereof has nothing to do with the numerous half-baked and semi-broken features that are present even in Horizons..... and it certainly has nothing to do with the lazy/terrible design of some of the game systems (Engineering being the most prominent example - it's barely better than the type of progression systems you find in free to play mobile games).

The attitude in this thread is exactly why things that have been broken for years have never been fixed and probably never will. Until this community gets higher standards the product delivered will continue to be minimum viable in too many ways.

Top Bottom