Notice Notice regarding supply and demand of high-end minerals

The new changes seem to have a nasty side effect. Not sure if that's a general bug or something that recently has been introduced. I just took a 'source and return' mission over 4t Titanium (starter zone, Fuzong base) while I already had 31t in my hold. The client does not recognize these 4t of Titanium, but technically they absolutely should! Clearly a bug, as on the market it's clearly signed as mission goods. Switching to main menu didn't help.

Not sure if it's related but i'm chaining missions on alt and this aspect seems ok - taking a supply mission and using commodities already in cargo to fulfill it. So no problems here.
But, the mission servers been through lots of hiccups today. Worse being up to 1 minute, including a quit to menu, to register a mission. Or after picking up a follow-up 3t delivery mission, it disappeared for more than 2 minutes.

could be something similar - as i said the mission server been cranky for me today

Why do you care if people get ships faster? It literally has no effect on your experience.

I grinded for months for enough to buy an Anaconda a couple years back because I wanted a sweet ship to explore in. You know what I did with it? Nothing. I could never get enough credits to cover the rebuy, or even upgrade the modules, and at the base level it was too inconvenient for every activity. So what are people doing with a billion credits? Buying 1 ship and A-rating it.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing Elite. But I don't want to be forced into grinding for 400 hours just so I can buy and trick out a ship. Something like 20 hours should be enough. There's tons to do in this game, and I feel like I haven't had time to do any of it because I'm ALWAYS worried about money.

Fdev just thinks that the grind keeps people playing. But if that's taken too far, it does the opposite.

Of course it doesn't. Blaze your own trail.

But I wouldn't want to get to Level 70 in Diablo 3 in a day either and short-change myself on what the game has to offer.

But I wouldn't want to get to Level 70 in Diablo 3 in a day either and short-change myself on what the game has to offer.

Bad example. Diablo 3 is all about the end-game loot runs. And it's not like the ship progression is really a story line you need/want to experience/suffer through.

That's kinda my point: you don't have to. Some people want to take it slow and are happy doing missions in the cheaper ships. Others, like myself, would rather get a bunch of money up front, then enjoy the game in a nicer ship. Neither way is wrong, but the devs are constantly removing the most lucrative money-making options.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would support making less money. Let's say you want a really nice car...a Corvette, for example. In order to get that car, you need money. To get money, you need a job. You find a job that will pay you $1 million per year, and you start immediately. You could have gotten a job that's more fun, but it pays far less money. And you REALLY want that Corvette. Other people do other jobs for less money, and that's cool...they've been working and saving for 10 years for a car that's going to be half of what your Corvette costs. That's also fine: it's their choice.

But one day your authoritarian boss comes along and says, "We're going to cut your pay in half arbitrarily." That feels like crap. So you find a new job that pays similarly. A few weeks go by, and your pay gets cut in half again. This keeps happening, and it feels like you're being cheated. Everyone else seems content with their jobs that pay less, but you're in it mostly for the money, and even though your job can be fun at times, it's mostly a boring grind. The upside is that, at the end of the grind, you'll finally be free to take any job you want, and you get to do it in a Corvette. But for some reason, your bosses seem keen to keep punishing you for no particular reason. Eventually, you either give up on ever having a Corvette or resign yourself to the boring, soul-sucking job with a Draconian boss that keeps slapping your hand away every time you reach for the cookie jar.

Then there's the coworker who wants the same Corvette. Every time you get a pay cut, he just says, "I actually prefer making less money for the same amount of work. This way, it takes longer to get the things I want." Bless his heart for enjoying the journey, but clearly he's an idiot.

The point is, having more money, or more opportunities to make more money, doesn't ruin the game for anyone else, and it only enhances the game for you. At some point, the time you put in isn't worth the return. I think the last several years have shown that the most extreme commanders will just jump from one gold rush to the other, regardless of how many times they get nerfed. The messed up part is that this wasn't even an exploit. It was the intended amount of money for a whole year! And now it's getting nerfed and the devs are using a thinly-veiled "realism" excuse to justify it. There's an entire galaxy out there, and I'm supposed to believe that supply and demand can just absolutely crush prices overnight? In an economy with likely trillions of people? Give me a break.

FDev...just give me a number. Just tell me how much money you will allow me to make in a 24-hour period so I can at least reset my expectations. I love you dearly, but good god...

I forgot to say yesterday, I did actually almost wet myself laughing at the first part of the announcement which can be paraphrased as 'Thanks for your feedback on the changes, in particular telling us that although you hate the price changes for most minerals, LTD prices are holding up well. We've listened to what you've said and we're going to sort the LTD prices out.'

As I said to a mate last night, that's Mike Evans level trolling right there 😁

I forgot to say yesterday, I did actually almost wet myself laughing at the first part of the announcement which can be paraphrased as 'Thanks for your feedback on the changes, in particular telling us that although you hate the price changes for most minerals, LTD prices are holding up well. We've listened to what you've said and we're going to sort the LTD prices out.'

As I said to a mate last night, that's Mike Evans level trolling right there 😁
Fortunately I have a liquid proof keyboard now. 😐
😆

I’m going to go do some mining, I will listen to some ‘mathcore’ metal music, it will be more settling than trying to figure these market tools....

I checked the market for Monazite earlier this evening, stated Deciat selling for 383,000 ish, 14x jumps from the ring I was in. Get there in 30-mins and it’s gone below 200,000 per ton ☹️

So real economic forces of supply and demand do not work with the BGS.
Players cannot trade goods between each other.
FDEV wants to increase the time it takes to acquire game assets.
How is this different than SNAFU?

If they could make something require effort and time to acquire, it doesn't matter if anyone else impacts your game or not, it's easy to see how it should require the same level of success from all players. The point may be moot in a single player game ...but ED is not a single player game and the acquiring and use of certain ships do have an impact on the game for other players that wouldn't have if that other player was left with a much cheaper ship for instance.

But i dont expect fdev to make the right decision here and actually make things hard since they can't leverage exciting gameplay while doing it. ..and they for some reason, value casual players who's desires in the game are a cancer to anything that makes it interesting.

I hope...against all hope that player carriers take 6 months of extremely hard (not tediuous grinding) gameplay to acquire for even hardcore players. There should be something in the game to aspire to since they aren't giving us any kind of player directed gameplay and there's no point to doing almost anything else since it either doesn't matter or it doesn't progress until fdev wants it to.

btw. the real world does work in the way that they change prices based on your income levels (what you have)... they're just not done to the personal level at this time due to not having access to that data.. They're done regionally in the US. every single gas station in the country prices their fuel based on local economies and augments with speculation on future prices. Even though the costs to them are the same as in the town over. If it's a rich town, they charge more than a poorer one 10 min away. Same demand, same supply, different prices based on different demographics.

Last edited:
Ugh, have to go to work, but quick brain dump.

Y'know what would fix this? Missions.

So, firstly, I have NFI why there aren't missions for core minerals yet, rather we have "mining" missions for 6,000t of Water (yeah, right)

So imagine this. Mining mission. Example: We need 6 tonnes of LTDs, reward is 3m. That's about 500k per tonne.
  • It's a mission, the price/reward is fixed and not drifting anywhere, it'll guaranteed still be that price when you get back
  • It allows you to part-dump your hold, and you can roam around looking for other mission offers to clear the rest of your stock.
  • If you get bored of that, you can dump the rest of your hold for whatever the going rate is.
  • Make them state-specific, with the rewards based on what the usual higher-end prices would be for that state combination (a-la famine missions for food)
  • Oh, and guess what? they're missions, so alternate rewards would include materials, so you really could buy mats for credits, since something something "erhmahgerd teh groinds"
Job done.

Last edited:
Greeting Commanders,

Since the launch of the January Update, we've received a lot of feedback about the changes made to the supply and demand volumes of specific high-end minerals. Today, we wanted to give you an update on some of the feedback you've been sharing with us.

Summary of the change:
In the January Update, we have rebalanced the mining of certain high-end commodities. to better represent a realistic supply and demand process based on the system's economy. This means that a station's purchasing price for minerals will reduce as the demand is met. With this change, we've also adjusted the supply and demand levels of different economies. For example, there will be a lower demand in Colony economies for high-end minerals, as those economies do not require as much, but in a Refinery economies, they will have a high demand for high-end minerals, as those economies require more. By implementing these changes we wanted to generate "gold-rush" opportunities, that dynamically respond to player interaction, increasing the viability of smaller mining vessels, and rewarding early participants who sell their minerals in high demand locations first.

Thanks to reports from the community, we've identified a number of issues in regards to mining and the supply and demand of minerals. The team are going to be investigating these issues, but please keep those reports coming in through the Issue Tracker.
  • The demand for Low Temperature Diamondshas remained high, , which is not in keepingwith the other high-end minerals.
    • From tomorrow, we will be aiming to correct this. Low Temperature Diamonds will now also be affected by the changes to supply and demand - as originally stated in the Patch Notes.
  • When identifying stations with supply and demand for high-end minerals such as Void Opals, Painite, and Low Temperature Diamonds, commanders need to have the specific mineral in their Cargo Hold in order to search for them on the Galaxy Map.
    • From tomorrow, commanders will be able to toggle these minerals in the Galaxy Map, without needing to have the commodities in their Cargo Hold.
  • When selling minerals at a station, the price that is offered is based on the amount currently in your Cargo Hold..
    • While this has always been the case, we've passed the feedback on to the team for consideration for a future improvement of the feature.
We believe that this change will allow for a much more realistic and dynamic system, where the economy responds to player input and provides a much more meaningful affect on galaxy. As always, we will continue to monitor your feedback and work together to develop our ever expanding galaxy.

o7
Beautiful.

This ... is so weird. I'm glad my local shops don't base their prices on what cash I have ...

Are you sure? Do you check with everyone to see what they are paying, do you actually check your receipts to see what they are charging? I think it needs more research, maybe go down to the local kwiki mart and flash some wads of cash around and see what happens!

It is definitely reproducible.
So, here is how the bug works: Take a source and return mission, get more than required - works as expected. But if you take such a mission with these items already on board, they can't be used to finish the mission, even though they are marked as mission cargo in the market pane. Logging out or flying to another system won't help: this certain chunk of cargo won't never finish that mission. Need to fly out and get some new.
I think this works as intended so you cant take and complete the mission in one go. Mining mission should be the same.

The rate changes based on the amount in your cargo hold, it doesnt look like a massive rate difference as long as the demand is high.

For me, I can live with rate reduction if loads in the cargo bay as long as I can see stations with high demands.

We need the galmap changing or the search tools enhancing to show demand levels of things if you hover over the diamond or triangle.

If you filter on Painite, you should been able to search for systems with high demand
Demand level being a slider you can set, plus a range slide to search further than 40ly, maybe upto 200lys

We need something to find who wants it. Then the reduction in rate I can live with

Last edited:
Personally I don't mind the changes to how the markets work, it makes it more realistic and who really needs to be making hundreds of millions everyday?

My issue is that the in-game tools aren't sufficient to let you make informed choices of where to sell your goods. But that has been the case for ages and I don't expect it change before the 2020 update.

I'll still go mining and still make decent money.

I think this works as intended so you cant take and complete the mission in one go. Mining mission should be the same.
Nope. Can't say I can validate the bug the person you've quoted is referring to, since I did this very recently, but it's entirly normal (and part of the game for years now) to take a "source" mission when you have the cargo in your hold and submit it instantly.

I do this for factions in outbreak... load up various medicines, go to the target station, grab all the missions looking for medicines, hand them in, dump the rest on the market.

Top Bottom