NPC scanning player all the time is poorly implemented (on foot)

A few days ago I was in a friendly settlement (they were green for me), inside a building. I wasn't stealing or doing anything illegal, was just standing there while reading an article on a website.

So I heard in the distance a npc saying that he wanted to scan me. I went back to the game window, I looked around and there was no one.... the npc was outside the building on the other side of the wall, on the street.
I tried to get out of the building but in less than 10 seconds the entire settlement was aggressive, everyone running after me and shooting.

Result, I died, was arrested and taken to a distant system (my ship stayed in the settlement). I paid the taxi back to the settlement, and then I had to pay a fine.
I don't see a problem with the consequences of an illegal activity or crime, it is cool. But the scan system is ridiculous.

Your relationship with a faction does not change their attitude in any way. If I'm friendly or ally, leave me alone for a while

They should have implemented it differently or used other means of surveillance in settlement.
How about cameras scattered in settlements watching the player's activities, then the player would have to hack the camera A, B, C, D to do illegal activities in different areas without being seen for a N period of time until the hack effect ends.
They could keep the body scan but with a long time between scans. These guards are communicating with each other, if a guard scanned you, he can warn the others. Then they forget you for a while, and watch you only through the digital surveillance of the cameras, metal detectors, item tag detector (detecting stolen items) or something like that.
If you want to do illegal activities, you would have the option to hack cameras, detectors, other security systems, etc. If the hack fails, the guards begin the search and scan process.

I am not against scanning, but everything is poorly implemented, and annoying. There is no creativity in the system, it's just a basic and boring loop repeating over and over with unreasonable penalties in many cases.

BTW. The free aggression by distance is another big problem, if I'm two meters away from a guard (no gun in hand), he automatically goes into aggressive mode. Does not make sense!
Are they copying Saints Row, GTA?

It's overtuned for sure. I like that the guards are generally surly and unwelcoming but perhaps this could be tied to the level of security and/or controlling faction state. Low sec, not as many scans, more time to go back to the guard wanting to scan you, and less concern about personal space. High sec, expect to get harrassed and shot on sight if you don't immediately stop for a scan. It would at least make a bit more sense.

Running away from one scan should just put them on low alert, where they actively communicate with each other to get you scanned. They should only open fire if you evade them 2 or maybe 3 times, depending on security level.

It's overtuned for sure. I like that the guards are generally surly and unwelcoming but perhaps this could be tied to the level of security and/or controlling faction state. Low sec, not as many scans, more time to go back to the guard wanting to scan you, and less concern about personal space. High sec, expect to get harrassed and shot on sight if you don't immediately stop for a scan. It would at least make a bit more sense.
Maybe your reputation with hte faction changes the scaning behavior, like security ships?

Having now robbed and plundered a lot of settlements I think it's fine. Lowering the difficulty would make them a walk in the park even with lvl 1 gear.
What you need to do if someone wants to scan you is stop and wait for them. They only get aggressive if you move too much.

A few days ago I was in a friendly settlement (they were green for me), inside a building. I wasn't stealing or doing anything illegal, was just standing there while reading an article on a website.

So I heard in the distance a npc saying that he wanted to scan me. I went back to the game window, I looked around and there was no one.... the npc was outside the building on the other side of the wall, on the street.
I tried to get out of the building but in less than 10 seconds the entire settlement was aggressive, everyone running after me and shooting.

Result, I died, was arrested and taken to a distant system (my ship stayed in the settlement). I paid the taxi back to the settlement, and then I had to pay a fine.
I don't see a problem with the consequences of an illegal activity or crime, it is cool. But the scan system is ridiculous.

Your relationship with a faction does not change their attitude in any way. If I'm friendly or ally, leave me alone for a while

They should have implemented it differently or used other means of surveillance in settlement.
How about cameras scattered in settlements watching the player's activities, then the player would have to hack the camera A, B, C, D to do illegal activities in different areas without being seen for a N period of time until the hack effect ends.
They could keep the body scan but with a long time between scans. These guards are communicating with each other, if a guard scanned you, he can warn the others. Then they forget you for a while, and watch you only through the digital surveillance of the cameras, metal detectors, item tag detector (detecting stolen items) or something like that.
If you want to do illegal activities, you would have the option to hack cameras, detectors, other security systems, etc. If the hack fails, the guards begin the search and scan process.

I am not against scanning, but everything is poorly implemented, and annoying. There is no creativity in the system, it's just a basic and boring loop repeating over and over with unreasonable penalties in many cases.

BTW. The free aggression by distance is another big problem, if I'm two meters away from a guard (no gun in hand), he automatically goes into aggressive mode. Does not make sense!
There are so many skeleton mechanics like this in EDO 😔
Which is partly why I walked away from it.
For me, this falls below what I would call a minimum viable product. Sure it works, kind of, but it seriously sucks too!

I play with sound off. Sometimes I do not even notice them wanting to scan me. It should flash the entire screen, not a small message in the corner.

They should have a specific timer between scans. When the timer is up, roughly, I just stand near a guard to be scanned.

It's a poor system.

You should only be scanned once upon arrival. If their scanners are instantly broadcasting to everyone on base that you are a criminal, it should also be broadcasting to everyone that you aren't. That their comms would fail to do this is hilariously bad. What's the point of such tech if everyone on base has to assume every unkown face is a potential mass murderer, despite having passed security?

Were a single scan the case, a stop for scan or be killed SOP would be easily digestible and reasonable.

EmotionalJaggedBluefish-size_restricted.gif

Your problem was trying to get to them, should have stood still, if you start moving, they think your evading the scan.

Honestly, it's.... Kind of easy to rob an entire settlement, shut it down, steal their power reg, and wander off to be honest.

If you have a silenced weapon the only real danger is getting scanned outside.

If they ask to scan me inside, I wait till they get real close, pull out my silenced automatic rifle, and pump their head full of bullets before they can activate their shields.

No one even knows. (Except the psychic bounty system, which I still think needs to only give you a bounty if caught...)

If you don’t want to be scanned keep the guards outside the red circle on the hud.

Or carry on as you are if you prefer.

Top Bottom