Obnoxious number of crashes to desktop since update 12.1/2

Or after the updates the game relies on things that conflict with outdated drivers, for example. You cannot make any informed conclusion just based on this.
I'm not sure the crash reporter crashing has anything to do with drivers. It's almost like they don't want to hear about problems.

I'm not sure the crash reporter crashing has anything to do with drivers. It's almost like they don't want to hear about problems.
Hi,

I have sent nearly thirty crash reports since update 12. The crash reporter has worked properly after every CTD on my PC.

Hi,

I have sent nearly thirty crash reports since update 12. The crash reporter has worked properly after every CTD on my PC.
Well, I'm pleased it's not broken for everyone. It's alarming that you've had almost 30 crashes in the two weeks update 12 has been out though.

Well, I'm pleased it's not broken for everyone. It's alarming that you've had almost 30 crashes in the two weeks update 12 has been out though.
There have been so many because I have been trying to find a workaround for it, but I have not found any so far. On my PC the game crashes very often when I approach some moons of some gas giant planets. There is randomness in the point during approach when the CTD happens, and sometimes I can even land, but it looks like a CTD is the more likely the faster orbit the moon has.

I do not have CTD:s during embarking or disembarking, though last year I did get black screens in them. I think it was update 10 or update 11 that fixed them for me.

There have been so many because I have been trying to find a workaround for it, but I have not found any so far. On my PC the game crashes very often when I approach some moons of some gas giant planets. There is randomness in the point during approach when the CTD happens, and sometimes I can even land, but it looks like a CTD is the more likely the faster orbit the moon has.

I do not have CTD:s during embarking or disembarking, though last year I did get black screens in them. I think it was update 10 or update 11 that fixed them for me.
They changed something in the bios heat map. Are you approaching in science or combat mode?

if you want to take the driver (mostly) out of the equation, you can always try dxvx (it's applicable in windows too) so that the game uses the vulkan api instead of dx. (this avoids changing drivers and it's entirely reversible without rebooting ...etc)

It's unlikely that something glitching directx at the driver level would giltch it the same way when being converted to vulkan's api.

But if it happens in both, it's a strong indicator that it is not rendering related. (not at the driver level anway. Could still be some coding bug going on while doing rendering ops in software ... overrunning buffers, trying to read a free'd pointer etc etc)

Last edited:
This is a very strange problem, because from what I see it doesn't affect everyone, I have a relatively old PC, but since update 12 came out, I've played every day and so far I haven't had any crashes or anything like that.

They changed something in the bios heat map. Are you approaching in science or combat mode?
I have tried both. Most lately I tried approaching all the way in combat mode, but still the game crahsed when I got near the moon, to about 2.1 Mm. I had mapped that moon earlier.

I've completely removed and reinstalled the game and launcher. That eliminates any bad files that might be hanging around from before update 12 that could be causing problems.

Bad news - the game still crashes and it's very consistent. Good news - the game crashes consistently. I can log back in to Horizons, get back in my ship, log in to Odyssey and try to leave my ship, crashes again. That'll be handy when FDEV try to find out what's going on. So I've put in a tech support ticket as well as reported on the issue tracker.

Getting sick of it, so I'm not doing anything else in the game until I hear from FDEV.

Are you quite sure about that? The exception that is triggered is quite inconspicuous: all you see after you press the send button is a small modular window that pops up for about a second and then immediately disappears again and can therefore be easily overlooked. A moment later, the crash app will shut down cleanly again. So if you miss this small modular window, you will think that everything is fine. But once you see it, you will always see it. So please look carefully the next time you send a crash report.
I have not noticed such a pop-up window with the crash reporter in a long time. I think I have seen it a few times long time ago, over a year ago, when I was still playing in Horizons. Does it say “Reference of an object not set to an instance“, or something like that on it? I have looked at the sending of every report quite carefully. There is a green bar which grows from left to right, and it gets full every time. I think it says “Report sent” on top of it when it’s full.

The crash reporter is also crashing for me.

My U12 crashes are also extremely predictable, and happen at specific LOD changes at specific ranges, around certain landable atmospheric worlds. It seems completely deterministic. I don't have to wait for my CTD's, I can trigger them at will, or, once I get beyond the distance they trigger, completely avoid them if I avoid atmospheric landable planets I haven't vetted.

I can't say it enough times; put it in the Issue Tracker, confirm either of the two reports below or it's just going to be ignored. The item will expire as unconfirmed when the next update comes out and it won't be fixed.

or

(better)

It's a problem with the way they track issues, not you guys. The number of bug reports that have expired, nothing's been done about them and they're just left in the game is aggravating.

Last edited:
I can't say it enough times; put it in the Issue Tracker, confirm either of the two reports below or it's just going to be ignored. The item will expire as unconfirmed when the next update comes out and it won't be fixed.

or

(better)

It's a problem with the way they track issues, not you guys. The number of bug reports that have expired, nothing's been done about them and they're just left in the game is aggravating.
If I get a CTD before those expire I will confirm or vote as appropriate, however I have been happily playing the game as I currently wish to and haven't had a CTD for months I think.

If I get a CTD before those expire I will confirm or vote as appropriate, however I have been happily playing the game as I currently wish to and haven't had a CTD for months I think.
It goes without saying that if you aren’t experiencing any crashes, there’s no need to go into the Issue Tracker and say that you are.

3 in the last half hour. I have confirmed in the tracker as well. First time I hasve CTD in this game since I started playing again in mid May.

Top Bottom